Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rate this move. While we’re at it, pay slater whatever he wants to fly up here once a week to mentor Avo.
Why? When you have a 2 time Dally M fullback of the year as a reserve grade coach.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hodkinson doesn't get the respect he deserves
From a fan that's supported the club since 2005 (technically 2004 GF was my first game, maybe after the fact :D ) Hodkinson's my favourite ever halfback to play for the club (obviously our most successful period in that time was 2012-2014 and that core of players). I think a lot of our older fans discredit a lot between 2005 and now (at least seems that way).

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleary and Luai played/trained alongside Maloney, one of the most successful halves in recent years. Luai and Cleary also spent years playing together. We aren't the Panthers, we need a spine and forwards.
Luai is also a much better player than avo, and Cleary is probably top 5 in the NRL. So despite how great Burton will be and the potential avo has, with them as halves we would still be a bit behind the top teams halves pairings for a few years at least. That's why SJ is a great opportunity for us. We can fast forward success two years so long as we get help in other areas too.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a fan that's supported the club since 2005 (technically 2004 GF was my first game, maybe after the fact :D ) Hodkinson's my favourite ever halfback to play for the club (obviously our most successful period in that time was 2012-2014 and that core of players). I think a lot of our older fans discredit a lot between 2005 and now (at least seems that way).
PLASSSTIICCCCCC FAAANNNNNNNNN

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thays because rugby league was tougher and harder back then. The refs and betting agencies didn't dictate wins, and they didn't change the rules every year! Plus our team was better. Lol

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thays because rugby league was tougher and harder back then. The refs and betting agencies didn't dictate wins, and they didn't change the rules every year! Plus our team was better. Lol
Agree, the rules are practically changing every week look at the backdown in sinbins and players on report since magic round.
They went all gun ho for a couple of weeks then cease fire.
Another problem and the most significant is how every ref applies the law on game day.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what happens. Surely raiders and others will be interested too, hopefully it doesn’t turn into a bidding war. $500k for a couple of years would be a good outcome.
Raiders apparently interested in Widdop, but im hearing so are the warriors?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
and we also have BBO and Rajab coming through and we don't want to lose either of those 2 (at least before giving them a go).
I would keep a level head particularly over Rajab. Still very young and depending on how he progresses next year I’d say Flanno’s contract would have ran out by the time Rajab is even close to being ready for first grade.

Reactions: ATT

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo would be fullback in that scenario (Johnson coming).
I would play Burton.. more of a complete footballer. Avo maybe a bit raw for FB in my opinion

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why? When you have a 2 time Dally M fullback of the year as a reserve grade coach.
I feel like the school of slater might be a bit more suited to the modern game. He’s turning little Paps into an absolute powerhouse.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree, the rules are practically changing every week look at the backdown in sinbins and players on report since magic round.
They went all gun ho for a couple of weeks then cease fire.
Another problem and the most significant is how every ref applies the law on game day.
Fuck trying to coach an NRLol side in this day and age.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burton and Avo are going to be great.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The movement continues at Belmore, although now it’s incoming rather than outgoing.

The Bulldogs have been heavily linked to off-contract Sharks star Shaun Johnson and according to The Australian’s Brent Read, a “resolution” to Johnson’s contract saga is very close.

“This is getting to the pointy end. The Shaun Johnson saga, I reckon we might have a resolution next week or so,” Read told Triple M’s Rush Hour with MG.

“Privately, I believe his camp is very bullish about him joining Canterbury, I’m told that they’re telling people that a deal is close to being done there.

“I’ve spoken to Canterbury and they have spoken to his management. They’ve asked his management to go away and come back to them in the next week with what Shaun will want. “Initially the asking price for Shaun was two years for $1.6 million. It’s now dropped, I believe there’s talk it’s two years for $1 million.

“Obviously we’ve had movement at Canterbury with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak leaving. That’s freed up a lot of salary cap money. They’re still paying him for next year, he was on over $800,000, they’re paying a portion of that but it does clear up a lot of money.

“I think we’ll have a decision on Shaun Johnson if not over the weekend, then early next week from Canterbury and once Canterbury press the go button I expect a deal to be done pretty quickly.

“I reckon the Johnson saga is close to a climax.”

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
You just say to SJ and his manager look you haven't won anything at club level... I know Dogs have struggled but we are on the rise with the signings we've made and other suites like Canberra have had their premiership window close... Join us for a little less cash and a chance at glory
Canberra has shithouse weather. He probably already lives in the shire or surrounding suburbs which are only 20mins or so to Belmore so he wouldn’t even have to move.