Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our halves options at the moment is focused relying entirely on Burton to save us. Despite all the talent he has, we have to remember he is a rookie in his first proper year of NRL and he's not even playing in the halves at the moment. He's also playing in the best team in the NRL right now, even if we don't sign SJ we need an experienced half at the moment otherwise we can royally screw up Burton's development.

Also Burton looks like the kind of player that can organise and provide spark so whoever partners him in the halves can either be a ball running 5/8 or an organising half

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A big yes from me, he was killing it for try assists and general game play last year before the injury.
It pushes AVO to the centers which I think will be good for him short term.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
400K worth it. Let Flanagan go back to the Sharks. He's never going to be anything special. Not fast enough. Flanagan is an overpaid Jack Cogger. In fact Cogger probably had a better running game. I think we could really do with an "experienced" half who won't get overawed under pressure.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
400K worth it. Let Flanagan go back to the Sharks. He's never going to be anything special. Not fast enough. Flanagan is an overpaid Jack Cogger. In fact Cogger probably had a better running game. I think we could really do with an "experienced" half who won't get overawed under pressure.
I don’t think Flanagan is going to make it. There is potential but he doesn’t apply himself or takes control of games. He didn’t really stand out at the roosters despite having a superior squad and coaching system. SJ for Flanagan any day of the week.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sharks are not taking Flanno back mate.

1. They are looking to re-sign Trindall and Moylan for next year. One of them will partner Hynes in the halves ;
2. He has shown nothing this year to warrant another NRL club signing him

I agree with you regarding Johnson but I reckon he might want $500k.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

1. They are looking to re-sign Trindall and Moylan for next year. One of them will partner Hynes in the halves ;

You are correct, I read online that Johnson wanted a two year at 600k per season.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think Flanagan is going to make it. There is potential but he doesn’t apply himself or takes control of games. He didn’t really stand out at the roosters despite having a superior squad and coaching system. SJ for Flanagan any day of the week.
Agree. Flanagan has no running game whatsoever. Never goes to the line like Cleary and most other good halves. He's too predictable - too f..king average. Even his kicking game is shit under pressure. Most halfbacks could do what he did at the Roosters only better as we're now seeing with Walker. I think we're mad if we go into 2022 with 2 inexperienced halves and only 1 whose any danger to the defensive line. We can't put so much pressure on Burton to create "everything". Pair him with another experienced half like Johnson and we'll reap twice the benefit.

If we signed Johnson for 400K Flanagan would definitely ask for a release - probably return to the Sharks and we'd get all or most of his $$$ back.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree. Flanagan has no running game whatsoever. Never goes to the line like Cleary and most other good halves. He's too predictable - too f..king average. Even his kicking game is shit under pressure. Most halfbacks could do what he did at the Roosters only better as we're now seeing with Walker. I think we're mad if we go into 2022 with 2 inexperienced halves and only 1 whose any danger to the defensive line. We can't put so much pressure on Burton to create "everything". Pair him with another experienced half like Johnson and we'll reap twice the benefit.

If we signed Johnson for 400K Flanagan would definitely ask for a release - probably return to the Sharks and we'd get all or most of his $$$ back.
Can't see Fitzgibbon wanting him tho.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

They made Flanagan an offer last minute just before he signed with us. I'd be surprised if they didn't take him. Johnson might have to accept 400K if no-one is willing to pay more which is likely. He'd be worth 450K. Not sure about 500K

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cogger shits all over Flanagan.
With the time Cogger was at the dogs, I've seen him take on the line and come up with tries on his own.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
Why even bother?
SJ is always injured, why even waist cap space on him?
If you are running a business this business transaction would be a bad decision.

We have Burton, Averillo, Flanagan, wakeham and you want to spend another 600k on a Foran 0.2 ?
We need a hooker (smith)/(Hodgson) and some Forwards.
Honestly I’ll rather spend that money on dufty
Than SJ.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They made Flanagan an offer last minute just before he signed with us. I'd be surprised if they didn't take him. Johnson might have to accept 400K if no-one is willing to pay more which is likely. He'd be worth 450K. Not sure about 500K
Yep entitled to your opinion but I would be shocked if they took him back. They have a new coach now so any offers they made him previously should be disregarded.

And as I said they are well stocked for halves next year and if they have seen him play this year then why would they want him ?

It will be interesting to see what we do. The article mentions that our recruitment team will make a decision whether or not to pursue him for next year. I agree he is only worth $400-$450k but I think he will ask for more than that.

Overseas rugby is also an option for him

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
no issues with having him as a stop gap for someone else
Burton's here next year and Averillo is ready now. We don't need a stop gap solution in the halves. We didn't re-sign Foran, we let Green go, we didn't sign Benji, why would we sign Johnson when we're in a better position in the halves going into next year than we were going into this year.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton's here next year and Averillo is ready now. We don't need a stop gap solution in the halves. We didn't re-sign Foran, we let Green go, we didn't sign Benji, why would we sign Johnson when we're in a better position in the halves going into next year than we were going into this year.
Averillo is ready now? Have you even watched the dogs play this year wtf.