Sharks vs dogs trial

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Okunbor looks addicted to running in and does it mindlessly. Reminds me of Reynolds tripping, or Andrew Hilditch on the hook shot back in the day - couldn't resist a bouncer and was caught at fine leg almost every innings.
He does it because it's what we're trained to do, the same thing happens on the other edge. Problem is Okunbor just isn't really suited to defending this way in the first place with his non existent reactions and mobility of an elderly person. You can then throw in the fact that he doesn't really have a clue and it's basically free points down that edge. JAC will defend the same way, but correctly lol.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sharks are fucking trash. I'd take Burton and Dufty over Trindall and Kennedy any day. Hynes is better than Avo and hookers are on par.

Sharks won't even make the 8. Their forward pack has too many old, broken down *****.
They missed the 8 last season on for and against. Lost no one and added Hynes, Finucane & McInnes. They also get Graham back from injury. If they stay fit they will easily make the 8 and are going to finish higher than us for sure.

Hookers are not on par. Brailey is a million times better than JMK.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They missed the 8 last season on for and against. Lost no one and added Hynes, Finucane & McInnes. They also get Graham back from injury. If they stay fit they will easily make the 8 and are going to finish higher than us for sure.

Hookers are not on par. Brailey is a million times better than JMK.
"Lost no one", hardly, gone are Chambers, Dugan, Johnson, Macdonald, Magoulias, Townsend and Woods. May not rate all of them, but Johnson on his own won a couple of games for them last year. Personally I don't see Hynes at 1/2 and Trindall is nowhere near Townsend, together I don't see much game management happening.

BBrailey hasn't progressed as much as I (and many others) thought he would (I watched a lot of him playing as a junior) and he was surrounded by a pretty decent bunch of players, quality forwards, especially in comparison to us last year.

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
"Lost no one", hardly, gone are Chambers, Dugan, Johnson, Macdonald, Magoulias, Townsend and Woods. May not rate all of them, but Johnson on his own won a couple of games for them last year. Personally I don't see Hynes at 1/2 and Trindall is nowhere near Townsend, together I don't see much game management happening.

BBrailey hasn't progressed as much as I (and many others) thought he would (I watched a lot of him playing as a junior) and he was surrounded by a pretty decent bunch of players, quality forwards, especially in comparison to us last year.

Always a Bulldog
They lost no one that they wanted to keep. Hynes is an upgrade on Johnson. Finucane and McInnes are great buys. Halves will be Moylan and Hynes. Trindall not a starter. Brailey still shits on someone like JMK for e.g. Roosters have Verrills at hooker and most people have them coming top 3. The Sharks top 17 roster on paper is VERY nice (seriously... Kennedy, Mulitalo, Tracey, Ramien, Katoa, Moylan, Hynes, Finucane, Brailey, Rudolf, Graham, Nikora, McInnes, Trindall, BHU, Fifita, Talakai...). They've pretty much been top 8 gatekeepers the last few years and they've strengthened roster and coaching wise.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
yeah he was surrounded by Flanagan hahaha..
As much as Brailey hasn’t kicked on he is still heaps better then JMK without any doubt.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd give each "half" (Avo, BBO, Wakeham and Flamingo) 20 mins next to Burton.
Surely they have all trained along side him, so Barrett should know which one is the better fit.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They lost no one that they wanted to keep. Hynes is an upgrade on Johnson. Finucane and McInnes are great buys. Halves will be Moylan and Hynes. Trindall not a starter. Brailey still shits on someone like JMK for e.g. Roosters have Verrills at hooker and most people have them coming top 3. The Sharks top 17 roster on paper is VERY nice (seriously... Kennedy, Mulitalo, Tracey, Ramien, Katoa, Moylan, Hynes, Finucane, Brailey, Rudolf, Graham, Nikora, McInnes, Trindall, BHU, Fifita, Talakai...). They've pretty much been top 8 gatekeepers the last few years and they've strengthened roster and coaching wise.
If you had said "that they want to keep" then maybe you would get a pass but you didn't, so you don't.

FWIW we tried real hard to get Johnson and got gazumped by the Warriors, are you suggesting that Gould was making a mistake chasing Johnson and we should have chased Hynes instead?

I'm OK with Hynes at 5/8, but 1/2 I just don't see it in him. Guess we will find out as the season progresses.

Always a Bulldog

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think halves will be Moylan Hynes. They are both five eighths. Hynes did limited kicking last year. Moylan kicks like someone who has had about 20 schooners. Trindall will be halfback and he is a serious step down from Johnson. Moylan probably 14.

They have a decent squad and I think they will make the 8 but they do have a few guys on big money whose best days are behind them (Fifita, Finucane and Graham). I think Fitzgibbon will do a good job as well.

Like about 12 other teams though they are nowhere near the top teams

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I dont think halves will be Moylan Hynes. They are both five eighths. Hynes did limited kicking last year. Moylan kicks like someone who has had about 20 schooners. Trindall will be halfback and he is a serious step down from Johnson. Moylan probably 14.

They have a decent squad and I think they will make the 8 but they do have a few guys on big money whose best days are behind them (Fifita, Finucane and Graham). I think Fitzgibbon will do a good job as well.

We can only go on what they published until the kick off then we will know;

1645762955635.png

As for Moylan if his injury record is anything to go by he may not feature much in a position that requires consistency..

Always a Bulldog

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can only go on what they published until the kick off then we will know;

View attachment 41361

As for Moylan if his injury record is anything to go by he may not feature much in a position that requires consistency..

Always a Bulldog
Yep surprised to see Hynes at 7. He is definitely a five eighth and Trindall is definitely a half back.

Fark the sharks though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I believe Moylan is quality when fit and over the past 2 weeks enough has come out in the media by Sharks players and coach to tell you (suggest) that Moylan will be 6 (specifically on FOX last weekend). I guess it isn't 100% but until I see the round 1 team list that's what I'm going with personally (also can throw in Trindall was awful in the All Stars and trial last week).

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can we trust Barrett though? I mean he keeps picking knockonmor....
Yea and I keep hoping he comes good. A unit his size is what we need out wide. Back to the halves, Barrett should know what to look for considering he was one. But your right, he looks to have no clue.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely they have all trained along side him, so Barrett should know which one is the better fit.
No doubt that they have and based on training at least it would seem that Barrett believed Averillo was the best fit.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didn't look like they were training at all lol
You very well know the uncertainty surrounding the 7 is the biggest problem TBaz is facing, without directing any criticism at him, would a much more experienced coach have already figured out who is going to be ?
Who knows, he might already know but not letting on !

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe Moylan is quality when fit and over the past 2 weeks enough has come out in the media by Sharks players and coach to tell you (suggest) that Moylan will be 6 (specifically on FOX last weekend). I guess it isn't 100% but until I see the round 1 team list that's what I'm going with personally (also can throw in Trindall was awful in the All Stars and trial last week).
With Moylan at 5/8 that leaves Hynes at 1/2, does anyone see that working out?

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With Moylan at 5/8 that leaves Hynes at 1/2, does anyone see that working out?

Always a Bulldog
Do you see Burton and Averillo working? They're just picking the best 2 halves they have. Also you're underestimating Hynes at 7 (yes, he's a better five-eighth).

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I think Moylan still has something to offer at 6 but I just dont see Hynes as a 7.

They are like us. 2 five eighths in the halves.

I am actually just listening to the Matty Johns podcast and joey was talking about our trial last week. Said we looked really strong but like everyone he is worried about our halfback. He rates Averillo but not as a halfback. Said its a position you need to play your whole life. He said even though Flanno has "limitations" he still thinks he is the best fit because we have strike everywhere and dont necessarily need a strike halfback. We just need someone to steer us around the park.

Also said some of our last tackle options were very ordinary last week. Used the old Warren Ryan quote "A good kick can save a bad set. A bad kick can ruin a good set". The problem with Flanno though is that his last tackle kicks were terrible in 2021 and thats what people like Joey dont really remember (we all do). Thats one of the main reasons he lost his spot. Jake's last tackle kicks are ordinary but so were Flanno's.