News Sharks up against it - wooden spoon smokies?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's blood in the water – and it's coming from the Sharks

The Sharks look to be in serious trouble ahead of the 2020 season.

Like most teams, on paper, their roster looks OK. But paper is weak.

Once you start scratching the surface at Shark Park, things look grim. Let’s start with Josh Morris. He doesn’t want to be there. End of story. The ultimate professional, he says he will give his all if he has to stay. He must be believed because his CV says he will deliver. He’s done if for a decade and a half. But there’s delivering and there’s delivering.

For an NRL team to succeed, every single person has to be on the same page – all driving towards week-to-week success, which parlays into finals success. The depth of the hunger must be immense.

Morris isn’t on that page. He’s upset the club brought Jesse Ramien back, a year after he walked out for personal and monetary reasons for a better life in Newcastle.

Ramien and young gun Bronson Xerri will most likely play in the centres this year, forcing Morris into a Mr Fix It role in the back line.

Speaking of Xerri, he obviously also wants out of the club that gave him a shot at the big time. He has repeatedly knocked back contract extensions. His current deal runs until the end of the 2021 season and the Sharks have tabled a five-year, $2.5 million deal to take him until the end of 2026.

Xerri will go to the open market instead. His future lies elsewhere and no language from his camp says otherwise.

And there are more issues at the club, including:
  • the Josh Dugan imbroglio, where the $900,000-a-season player says he is too injured to play or train, but club doctors say otherwise;
  • the Matt Moylan mystery – he's a State of Origin player, yet hasn’t fired a shot at the Sharks;
  • the Shaun Johnson gamble, which failed in 2019; he must deliver this season.
Possibly the only constant in the back line is the consistency of halfback Chad Townsend, who’s as solid as a bar of gold.

Now we move to the forwards.

Paul Gallen is gone. The spiritual leader, the motivator, the guy you turn up for week after week. Also gone is the consistent Matt Prior.

That leaves a lot on the shoulders of Andrew Fifita in the front row and, as we know with Fifita, he can just as easily lose you a game as win you one.

Wade Graham will unquestionably be a good leader, and he’ll need to be.

Jayden Brailey had hit his straps at hooker, but he bailed and will be replaced by brother Blayke. Not a bad outcome, but Blayke is well behind Jayden in his development as an NRL player.

Add all of this together and the Sharks are one disaster away from being in wooden spoon territory. I wouldn’t back them to make the eight.

The problems with the playing roster are mirrored off the field.

Firstly, Shark Park is a construction zone. On one side, the apartments are going up and on the other side, the clubhouse is coming down. The licensed club will be out of action for two seasons, as will the field as a home ground. They can train there, but have to play home matches at Kogarah's Jubilee Oval, the home of arch-rivals the Dragons.

And it’s also extremely tough to work amid a construction zone every day. Environment is crucial in the modern-day NRL where the one-percenters count.

Jack Gibson famously said winning started in the front office. Well, the Sharks’ front office has been a mess.

With a massive rebuild of the clubhouse on the agenda, salary cap problems left, right and centre, apartments still going up and negotiations to buy a local golf club at a critical stage, chief executive Richard Munro was out the door on January 8.

He had been in the job six whole months.

He replaced former player Barry Russell, who lasted 14 months. Before him, Lyall Gorman lasted a couple of years and before him it was Steve Noyce.

Talk about a revolving door.

Without a strong CEO, who is delivering the messages throughout the club, who is setting the direction?

The board, under chairman Dino Mezzatesta, will say it is them. That may well be the case, but clubs also need a solid CEO who works hand-in-hand with the board and all facets of the club, including and, most importantly, the playing group.

Everyone loves it when there’s no boss around.

One great asset for the Sharks is young coach John Morris. He appears as though he has the goods. He just needs the stability around him so he can deliver.

Pesto

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So, compare the Sharks with the Dogs, a decent comparison because both are local clubs in Sydney, more realistic than comparing Dogs with Storm or Bonkos:

Sharks - reports of multiple starting team players that don't want to be there
Dogs - no reports of discontent players, rather, the leaders in the squad (DWZ, CHN, Jacko, Tolman, Napa, Hoppa) are consistently reported as having great character and/or personality from multiple independent sources

Sharks - No CEO. Last CEO quit after 6 months, they have had 4 CEOs in the last four years.
Dogs - Three CEOs in 12 years. Current CEO is going strong and was CEO of most recent RL WC. Previous two CEOs (regardless of what we may think of them), have become the CEO of the NRL and Rugby Aus.

Sharks - Train at a work site, play at a 3rd rate local ground.
Dogs - Top class training facilities, train at one of the best local grounds in Sydney, play (this season) at a brand new stadium

Sharks - Constantly dogged by Salary Cap issues, many feel that they only continue to hold their premiership because all the people in charge can't bring themselves to take it off them. Now stuck with a broken Dugan and non-firing Johnson and Moylan, all on big bickies.
Dogs - Nearly clear of all salary cap issues, have continued to demonstrate that they have learned from the poor decisions made by Dib/Des.

I'm sure TK can think of many other comparisons that show that our club is superior.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn't happen to a nicer team (well maybe Soufs - and the Cocks - and Manly - and...sorry).
Care factor zero.
Who wrote this? Obviously not Buzz :-).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, compare the Sharks with the Dogs, a decent comparison because both are local clubs in Sydney, more realistic than comparing Dogs with Storm or Bonkos:

Sharks - reports of multiple starting team players that don't want to be there
Dogs - no reports of discontent players, rather, the leaders in the squad (DWZ, CHN, Jacko, Tolman, Napa, Hoppa) are consistently reported as having great character and/or personality from multiple independent sources

Sharks - No CEO. Last CEO quit after 6 months, they have had 4 CEOs in the last four years.
Dogs - Three CEOs in 12 years. Current CEO is going strong and was CEO of most recent RL WC. Previous two CEOs (regardless of what we may think of them), have become the CEO of the NRL and Rugby Aus.

Sharks - Train at a work site, play at a 3rd rate local ground.
Dogs - Top class training facilities, train at one of the best local grounds in Sydney, play (this season) at a brand new stadium

Sharks - Constantly dogged by Salary Cap issues, many feel that they only continue to hold their premiership because all the people in charge can't bring themselves to take it off them. Now stuck with a broken Dugan and non-firing Johnson and Moylan, all on big bickies.
Dogs - Nearly clear of all salary cap issues, have continued to demonstrate that they have learned from the poor decisions made by Dib/Des.

I'm sure TK can think of many other comparisons that show that our club is superior.
You don’t even need to use those examples. We are miles ahead of the Sharks in pretty much every department. They have only had a very small window where they have been superior then us on the field and that’s closed now. It’s not really fair to even compare us with them.

Its not out of the realms of possibility that they could be in QLD in a couple of years. They are going to struggle on and off the field while they are playing at Kogarah and they are with out a Leagues Club for two years. They have pretty much blown all the development money and won’t have anymore coming in.

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The sharks will be where they belong, near the bottom of the table.

A few players will head for the exit in 2021, so they'll have years of pain hopefully, one of my most hated clubs these days.

As for Josh Morris, you signed a contract, zero sympathy.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hate them more than anyone, but there's just way too much fire power and talent in that side for them to finish last even with the overpaid Woods, Dugan, Moylan, Johnson etc.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Couldn't happen to a nicer team (well maybe Soufs - and the Cocks - and Manly - and...sorry).
Care factor zero.
Who wrote this? Obviously not Buzz :-).
Famous fans

Dogs - Record holding Australian cricket Captain and father of the year recipient, Steve Waugh AO*
Sharks - Serial raker of muck and future liver transplant recipient, Phil Rothfield CT**

*Order of Australia
**Constantly Tanked

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I still think they have a very good squad on paper. I can see them floating around the eight. I'll probably have them just missing out. There are a lot of problems they're facing tho - e.g. injuries and Johnson.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't help but hope they have a really bad run for the next five to ten years. It doesn't sit well with me that they weren't punished for peptide abuse, or the fact that they were busted for salary cap cheating over the course of many years and then followed up by signing Johnson before the echoes of that announcement stopped. Most clubs caught cheating the cap are forced to shed quality, not add big name signings to the roster. Even the Eels lost a couple of players despite having earned multiple wooden spoons while being over the cap.

I had a bit of a soft spot for the sharts until they went unpunished for peptide abuse. But since that all happened I've progressively developed a hatred for hearing Gallen talk. He's still spoken of as if his huge effort in origin while he was on peptides was all down to him being great. I don't blame players when their clubs cheat the salary cap. But surely the players weren't collectively ignorant of the fact that they were being injected with performance enhancing drugs.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love seeing when a club pays stupid overs for players and it comes back to bight them

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we’ve been runners up 12
Times ? And won 8 grand finals ..

sharks 1/52 years ?

Losers

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't forget the PM....Sharks bound to get some of the splash for cash getting thrown around in sports funding, girls change room funding, regional infrustructure funding, probably get a water licence too hahaha.
Famous fans

Dogs - Record holding Australian cricket Captain and father of the year recipient, Steve Waugh AO*
Sharks - Serial raker of muck and future liver transplant recipient, Phil Rothfield CT**

*Order of Australia
**Constantly Tanked

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don't forget the PM....Sharks bound to get some of the splash for cash getting thrown around in sports funding, girls change room funding, regional infrustructure funding, probably get a water licence too hahaha.
The sharks are actually really struggling financially and the development has been a disaster

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone take the Roar seriously as they have you guys at 13th and the Sharks above you? https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/02/...-preview-series-rounding-out-the-bottom-four/

Like this thread I see the Peptides being in the bottom four as their roster is a mix of age and uselessness. Rookie coach, farked front office, players not wanting to be there and having Andrew Fafita as your leader is like hiring a meth addict to clean your house.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone take the Roar seriously as they have you guys at 13th and the Sharks above you? https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/02/...-preview-series-rounding-out-the-bottom-four/

Like this thread I see the Peptides being in the bottom four as their roster is a mix of age and uselessness. Rookie coach, farked front office, players not wanting to be there and having Andrew Fafita as your leader is like hiring a meth addict to clean your house.
It's hard to guess really. There's a lot of variables at every club. But they have some talent in a few positions so that might save them from being among the cellar dwellers. But the signs of players wanting out rarely bodes well for any club. If they had a more experienced coach running the show it can sometimes plaster over cracks like that. But I look back at when Barba was chasing a release and the disharmony and resentment his poor attitude caused here the year following our last gf appearance as a bit of a display of how damaging it can be to have just one player that wants out. I still look at the last game he played for us in the finals and think he faked his injury to leave us a player down from early in the final.

They're one of the teams that could go very well or very badly. I have no love for the club so I hope it's the latter.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes I know that but Shark One should be able to conjur up some more dodgy funding programs for them surely.
The sharks are actually really struggling financially and the development has been a disaster

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes I know that but Shark One should be able to conjur up some more dodgy funding programs for them surely.
You think he would’ve done that already if he was going to. Don’t let the truth get in the way of political bias ok haha