Sharks need to release a player immediately

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It all comes back to how much cap space they had left before the fine.
Say they had 100k, they'll need to release a player earning 355k and then sign a player on minimum wage to be cap compliant.
Considering we have 30 players signed up already I highly doubt that we'd be in the market for a player as we'd have to offload a player to bring one in.
I'd take J Moz back
In the article relating to Segeyaro signing Sharks said that they had a spare 200k as a contingency pending their punishment and have contracted Segeyaro for 120k leaving them 80 k.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the article relating to Segeyaro signing Sharks said that they had a spare 200k as a contingency pending their punishment and have contracted Segeyaro for 120k leaving them 80 k.
So if they had $80k to spare hey need to punt someone on at least $370k to get back under the cap after they sign someone on miniumum wage to replace the player on $370k

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bring Aaron Woods back.................................... Just kidding.

In all seriousness I'd be happy with any of:

Fifita
Blayke Brailey (or whichever one is the best out of the brothers)
Bronson Xerri
SJ

We've finalised our top 30 though so I'd say we're not in the market for whoever gets released.
Fifita ??????? fuck that

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So looks like they will cut Ava Seumanufagai...

These ***** have deadset got off with kess than a slap on the wrist.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So looks like they will cut Ava Seumanufagai...

These ***** have deadset got off with kess than a slap on the wrist.
the nrl are delusional... despite the self reporting what should have been taken into account was the dream chasing of Holmes. They intended to further cheat with him in their side, what happens if he didn't have that dream and left ? ***** should be punished with that intent, because after all weren't tigers just fined for intent

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5931643/sharks-handed-reduced-fine-salary-cap-penalty-diluted/

Cronulla have been handed a reduced $250,000 fine and will be forced to play under the salary cap by $350,000 over the next two seasons for cheating the salary cap.

The NRL handed down their findings from their long-running probe into the club's salary cap on Friday.

Cronulla were to originally be fined $750,000 but had $500,000 wiped due to Sharks CEO Barry Russell's decision to self report the original matter.

The Sharks will also have to play $350,000 under the salary cap for the 2019 and 2020 seasons and will need to shed one player before round one in a fortnight. Though NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said the NRL were confident the Sharks would be under the cap before round one.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said it had been shown in the past the "significant impact" this sort of punishment can have on a club's ability to compete and that the fines would have been "significantly" higher had Russell not self reported.

"I hope every other club takes notice," he said.

“I would hope that the sanctions being handed down today will remind clubs and players that there are significant consequences for not complying with the standards and rules we set for our game.

"We're doing what's right. Not what's popular."

Russell self reported a promised $50,000 payment to former Sharks forward Chris Heighington in June last year.

That sparked a wider probe which saw the Sharks lose premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan who has been deregistered indefinitely.

Evidence was found that Flanagan had communicated with the club during his 12-month ban for his role in Cronulla's ASADA scandal in 2014.

It is understood further breaches of the salary cap were found dating back to 2013. The Sharks were found to have set up a company to attempt to procure third-party payments for their players, with promises made for around $750,000 worth of illegal payments.

But Cronulla's historic 2016 premiership is safe as they were under the salary cap that season, as is the contract of star signing Shaun Johnson.

The Sharks will need to offload one player before the start of the season to be cap compliant for 2019 but it does not have to be Johnson.

Flanagan, who resigned as Cronulla's head coach in January, has had his deregistration continued indefinitely.

Greenberg said Flanagan's response to his breach notice had been considered but his deregistration would stand. If Flanagan applies in the future to become a registered official it would be considered, but Greenberg said Flanagan would not be considered in the short term.

Cronulla were originally fined $800,000 for engaging with Flanagan during his ban but that has been reduced to $500,000 after the club acknowledged and accepted its wrongdoing.

"I'm not sure I'd consider [Flanagan] at the moment. He needs to spend some time away from the game," Greenberg said.

"If Shane wants to coach in England we wouldn't stand in his way."

Greenberg said the NRL could not afford to ever have an off-season like this again in announcing a number of sanctions against players and clubs.

As well as the Sharks, the NRL have halved Wests Tigers' fine to $350,000 for failing to disclose an ambassador agreement with Robbie Farah when he finishes his career and for misleading the NRL in relation to an application for cap relief.

The Tigers' $639,000 salary cap punishment can also now be spread over the next two seasons. Tigers CEO James Pascoe has been suspended for six months and can return to the club in June.

Dylan Napa was fined 10 per cent of his 2019 salary following the publication of several lewd videos featuring him. The NRL decided not to suspend him because it was judged as a "historical incident" with the videos dating back five years.

The NRL has also suspended Scott Bolton for 10 weeks and fined him five per cent of his 2019 salary after pleading guilty in January to common assault involving a woman last year.

But the NRL will halve the penalty if the Cowboys forward agrees to address the captains and senior players of all other teams during this year’s Magic Round in Brisbane in May.

Manly's Dylan Walker was also stood down under the NRL's new 'no fault' policy until the end of his court case. Walker has pleaded not guilty to charges of assaulting his fiancee.

“The NRL stresses that we are making no judgement on his guilt or innocence. That is a matter for the courts,” Greenberg said.

The NRL also stood down Dragons forward Jack de Belin on Thursday after the governing body announced a major change to the game's disciplinary policy.

The Australian Rugby League Commission handed down new protocols for players accused of serious crimes. Under the new policy, any player who is charged with an offence that carries a maximum prison term of 11 years or more will be automatically stood down.

Greenberg also has discretionary power to stand down players charged with offences involving the assault of women or children. Players will be allowed to continue to train with their teams and remain on full pay.

Sorry to say but piss weak by the NRL. Systematic and deliberate cheating by the Sharks judged to not be so bad as they self reported, but reading the article, they only self reported the 50k payment to Heighnington..what about the other 750k in that effort since 2013 which was subsequelntly found and which I might add was passed as true and correct in their yearly investigations??

Halve a penalty to a player who was punished for common assault, which he pled guilty to, by having him share a cup of tea and a chat with the captains and senior players of the other 15 teams at Magic round...the so called tour of shame is a one day only event for which he still gets paid and loses only 2.5% of his 2019 salary plus a five game suspension.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It is understood further breaches of the salary cap were found dating back to 2013. The Sharks were found to have set up a company to attempt to procure third-party payments for their players, with promises made for around $750,000 worth of illegal payments.
But Cronulla's historic 2016 premiership is safe as they were under the salary cap that season, as is the contract of star signing Shaun Johnson.

So if this was systematic and dates back to 2013, does that not infer 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018? Or only 2013-2015.

I'm smelling bullshit here.. club has a single premiership and the NRL don't want to publically remove it from them.

Also how is Shaun Johnsons contract safe? That's bullshit again.. NRL should have a tab of every contract and player/club and not allow a club to sign players whilst over it. If they do then any player signed whilst over has contract terminated.

Instead (like the Storm) cheaters prosper by gaining a better player and offloading shit.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does everyone assume they'll come to us if they cut a player?

Roosters, Broncos or Knights will pick who they want and that player will be released.

Can't be Segeyaro as NRL haven't registered his contract yet. So when Cronulla clear the cap situation they'll sign him on to join.

Hence one of he braileys would be the smart move given they have Segayaro coming back.

If it's true that they need to shed a player wort $350k a season it gets interesting.

LOL if it was Woods released to Dragons.
I think your spot on, I Wouldn't be surprised if JMos was Lured to the Roosters by his twin if was the player the Sharks released him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like porkies to me

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if this was systematic and dates back to 2013, does that not infer 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018? Or only 2013-2015.

I'm smelling bullshit here.. club has a single premiership and the NRL don't want to publically remove it from them.

Also how is Shaun Johnsons contract safe? That's bullshit again.. NRL should have a tab of every contract and player/club and not allow a club to sign players whilst over it. If they do then any player signed whilst over has contract terminated.

Instead (like the Storm) cheaters prosper by gaining a better player and offloading shit.
Porkies mate just flat out porkies. They are a lieing, cheating, incompetent and amateurish club as a whole. They keep getting bailed out and keep biting the hand that feeds them.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
They will need to shed a few players. They need to have 30 in their squad . So the minimum wage being est 85k, so who ever gets them under the 350k they will need to replace them with minimum wage player. So effectively they will need to drop a 450k players and sign an 85k player . That's my way of thinking, I doubt they can just release someone esp without paying some freight.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Why did Bolton get only 5% but Napa 10%. Technically what Bolton did was worse.

Is it a double jeopardy thing because he faced civilian charges?

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will need to shed a few players. They need to have 30 in their squad . So the minimum wage being est 85k, so who ever gets them under the 350k they will need to replace them with minimum wage player. So effectively they will need to drop a 450k players and sign an 85k player . That's my way of thinking, I doubt they can just release someone esp without paying some freight.
Minimum contract for players 27-30 for the year 2019 is $72,500.

Sharks apparently have $80k left in the kitty. So they’ll really only need to drop $353k

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did Bolton get only 5% but Napa 10%. Technically what Bolton did was worse.

Is it a double jeopardy thing because he faced civilian charges?
Because he also received a suspension

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Minimum contract for players 27-30 for the year 2019 is $72,500.

Sharks apparently have $80k left in the kitty. So they’ll really only need to drop $353k
Ok. That makes sense. But for cheating the cap for a number of years they get away with it lightly.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I really don’t understand how a professional sport with a salary cap that the nrl has to approve contracts doesn’t know where each clubs salary is at every season. The NRLOL is a joke of an operation

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There would be no chance at all that they got back under for the one year which happened to be the year they won.....load of BS to the highest degree. They went to the level of setting up a bogus company in order to cheat the cap yet get off lightly for self reporting 50k? Greenturd is just taking the piss now, gotta go!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I really don’t understand how a professional sport with a salary cap that the nrl has to approve contracts doesn’t know where each clubs salary is at every season. The NRLOL is a joke of an operation
Forget it's their job to know but anyways. Well they knew when it was us and wouldn't let contracts be registered....how come the same isn't happening to the 3 clubs who are over yet are still active and signingg players at will???