News Sharks lead race for Storm double as secret meeting revealed

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sharks lead race for blockbuster Storm double swoop as secret meeting revealed: Transfer Whispers

Storm duo Nicho Hynes and Dale Finucane are in hot demand.
Storm duo Nicho Hynes and Dale Finucane are in hot demand.Source: FOX SPORTS

Zac Rayson

Zac Rayson from Fox Sports
June 1st, 2021 11:05 am

Melbourne’s battle to retain co-captain Dale Finucane is growing tougher by the minute, while another top Storm star in Nicho Hynes reportedly met with a rival coach as he is courted by a host of clubs.
And the in-demand duo might just land at the same destination next season.

CRONULLA FAVOURITES FOR FINUCANE

Dale Finucane would love to see out his career at the Melbourne Storm, hoping for a three- or four-year contract extension that might be his last deal in the NRL.

But given the club’s salary cap pressure, it’s looking more and more likely that he’ll end up elsewhere – and a raft of rivals are interested.

The 29-year-old has reportedly met with at least two clubs in recent weeks, with North Queensland, Brisbane, Canterbury and Wests Tigers all being floated as interested in the veteran recently.

Now, Wide World of Sports claims the Cronulla Sharks are ‘firming as favourites’ to land the six-time NRL grand finalist.

Finucane has a strong relationship with inbound Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon, the pair having worked together in the NSW Blues set-up in recent years.

And his leadership – both on the field and off – makes him a dream man to guide a young Sharks forward pack.

SHARKS’ DOUBLE SWOOP?

The Cronulla boss isn’t finished with major transfer moves there, either. The Daily Telegraph yesterday wrote Nicho Hynes had lunch this weekend with Fitzgibbon, as well as Hynes’ father and manager.

Hynes, the Storm understudy fullback, has grabbed the reins with both hands in recent weeks, with 11 try assists in his six weeks as a starter.

In this week’s thrashing of the Broncos, Hynes finished with 212 running metres, one try, two try assists and three line breaks.

Little wonder the off-contract 24-year-old is in high demand around the league.

Besides Cronulla, Brisbane have reportedly offered a three-year $1 million deal, which is likely not enough considering his rampant form. The Cowboys are another side to have reportedly offered both Hynes and Finucane contracts.

After Thursday night’s win, Storm boss Craig Bellamy said: “We really want to keep him without a doubt … it all depends what Nicho wants out of his footy career at this time and next year.

“I don’t know the financial, we have a position in our cap where we can offer him a certain amount and whether that will be enough I’m not quite sure … We are as keen as mustard to hold onto him if we can.”

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id love to see Finucane back in the blue and white.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only way I'd take Finnucane back is IF Papenhauzen accompanied him. Dale is way past his best and will be 30 and broken because of the numerous serious injuries he has had over the last 2-3 seasons.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assume he is after a last payday, who wouldn't, to get him you would be paying up for a term that is to long

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Finucane is the best prop off contract imo. I mean there's literally no one else. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything over 3 years, but if you want to be in with a genuine shot you'd have to offer at least that (3 years). He won't be looking for a club option (he wants at least 3 years guaranteed), only a player option would work (99% chance he'd take up). My top 3 signings only including off contract players are Kenny, Finucane and Capewell. We desperately need to find contracted options because obviously those 3 mentioned aren't going to be good enough for top 8 next year.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same but 4 years too long.
2 with a club option for 3 and I’d snap him up.
Would be nice but I think Cheatulla desperately need an experienced hard head like him, they will pay more.

Malla

Reaction score
Would love Finucane back.

Hynes will be rubbish outside of that Storm system. Actually maybe not rubbish, just extremely average. And if Sharks are signing him expecting him to play halves, good luck to them.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Would be nice but I think Cheatulla desperately need an experienced hard head like him, they will pay more.
Yeah. It seems we didn’t get sucked into paying overs for the red-nosed reindeer from the Sharts, so same could apply here. I like Dale and would welcome him back to Belmore but totally depends on cost and tenure. If not in our favour we should look elsewhere.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we think Napa and Hoppa are taking up cap that is nothing compared to the $’s the Sharks could potentially free up next year with Dugan, Moylan, Johnson, Woods and Townsend off contract. They would also like to unload Fifita.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we think Napa and Hoppa are taking up cap that is nothing compared to the $’s the Sharks could potentially free up next year with Dugan, Moylan, Johnson, Woods and Townsend off contract. They would also like to unload Fifita.
and we've already signed JAC, Burton and Naden for 2022.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meh let sharks have them. Finucane is solid but way to risky that long a deal. As stated above Hynes a massive unknown outside the storm system, you need to be very careful signing storm players.