Sharks fined as ARL commission deregister Flanagan after investigation.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
An 800k fine is nothing considering the blatant refusal to heed the NRLs warnings in the first place.

Clearly getting nude at Mad Monday (originally a 500k fine) is worse or as bad as a banned official coaching the club during his ban and the club being just as culpable...

The Sharks should have been fined $3 million as ever since the peptides saga they've been defying and antagonizing the NRL every chance they get and it's a joke it's taken this long for Greenberg to do anything about it.

But the Broncos shouldn't get fined for Andrew Gee, another banned official, for being in the coaches box last year. Nothing to see there...

Last edited:

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A 400k fine is nothing considering the blatant refusal to heed the NRLs warnings in the first place.

Clearly getting nude at Mad Monday (originally a 500k fine) is worse than a banned official coaching the club during his ban and the club being just as culpable...
I would totally agree with you here,,, getting nude apparently is worse than cheating and assaulting woman. We were crucified because its was the dogs any other clubs the DT showed no interest for Mad Monday. In addition i feel that the sharks should have their 2016 trophy taken away considering their coach has now been suspended which means if his not eligble to coach now then was not in 2016.The NRL has set a precident with the Dogs losing all their points and Melbourne losing their trophy for breaking the rules. A fine was not enough then and should not be now. I feel there has to be more to come of this.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Flanagone gets his just desserts as does the club. I wonder if 400k of the fine is the part that was suspended after the initial punishment handed down when the peptides saga was exposed.

Sharks in financial trouble after their little spending spree for 2019 look to be in an even worse position. On selling land that you owned to developers does not always mean great financial success. All it managed to do for them was to pay off 6 million of the debt they had after being behind to the tune of around 13 million in 2011. I believe a supporter coughed up around 3.5 million in a cash injection into the club in 2015.

No sympathy for them at all.
The 400k is.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Sharks should have been stripped of their title because all that disregard to NRL rules resulted in a title

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Todd: "Barry mate, we've got you on salary cap breaches for' 15,16 & 17. We've also found Flanno was communicating with the club whilst suspended in 14."
Barry: "Shit Todd, I had no idea, any suggestions?"
Todd: "Well mate, we're gonna get you on 3 out of 4 of these at least. We may be prepared to only" focus" on' 15 & 17, but you'll have to give Flanno up."
Barry : Geez Todd, that's a bit tough
Todd: Barry, we'll strip you of the 2016 premiership if we have to dig deep.
Barry: Sigh.... Ah well I never really liked Flanagan anyway

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Around 12-18 months ago I wrote on here about a mate's brother being at a NRL function of some sort in Qld where he was told by someone either in or connected to the NRL that there was an approximate 2 years or so timeframe to get rid of 2 Sydney clubs for the purposes of expanding the comp for teams from interstate etc.

I find it interesting that after we copped a ridiculous fine for Mad Monday we have these large fines for the Tigers and Sharks. While I can only speculate on this, it seems the NRL will now impose huge fines on Sydney clubs going forward, and I can't help but think they have smelt blood here with currently, probably the two weakest Sydney clubs when it comes to finances.

Maybe they have identified their two targets.
Nah ... simple as the Sharks and Tigers cheating the system and getting caught out.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I actually think Flanagan may have been hard done by here.

It is not a simple case of him doing something he wasn't allowed.

Ask yourself - what were the exact and precise terms of his ban. Was it that he couldn't communicate with the club on any matters relating to the club in THAT year?

If so, was he therefore allowed to communicate with potential recruits during that year (so long as they didn't join the club until the following year)?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But the Broncos shouldn't get fined for Andrew Gee, another banned official, for being in the coaches box last year. Nothing to see there...
He isn't banned from attending games. :grinning:

He was invited as a friend of Wayne Bennett.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I actually think Flanagan may have been hard done by here.

It is not a simple case of him doing something he wasn't allowed.

Ask yourself - what were the exact and precise terms of his ban. Was it that he couldn't communicate with the club on any matters relating to the club in THAT year?

If so, was he therefore allowed to communicate with potential recruits during that year (so long as they didn't join the club until the following year)?
The NRL spelled it out for him and gave him several reminders/warnings.

They even reduced his suspension initially and he still broke the rules. 5 pages of email communication, so hardly a minor breach.

During the period of his ban "the club must not allow Mr Flanagan to be concerned directly or indirectly with the club".

He got involved with the recruitment and retention of players which was a clear and obvious breach.

He cheated the system, he lost.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL spelled it out for him and gave him several reminders/warnings.

They even reduced his suspension initially and he still broke the rules. 5 pages of email communication, so hardly a minor breach.

During the period of his ban "the club must not allow Mr Flanagan to be concerned directly or indirectly with the club".

He got involved with the recruitment and retention of players which was a clear and obvious breach.

He cheated the system, he lost.
That recruitment drive effectively lead to a title in 2016

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He isn't banned from attending games. :grinning:

He was invited as a friend of Wayne Bennett.
He could attend games, but he wasn't allowed in their box or dressing room at all yet the Broncos had him there anyway just to put a giant middle finger up to the NRL.

Meanwhile, our club got fined for a trainer complaining to a ref and for wearing the wrong jerseys. If we had a banned official in the coaches box we'd get a 200k fine...

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Around 12-18 months ago I wrote on here about a mate's brother being at a NRL function of some sort in Qld where he was told by someone either in or connected to the NRL that there was an approximate 2 years or so timeframe to get rid of 2 Sydney clubs for the purposes of expanding the comp for teams from interstate etc.

I find it interesting that after we copped a ridiculous fine for Mad Monday we have these large fines for the Tigers and Sharks. While I can only speculate on this, it seems the NRL will now impose huge fines on Sydney clubs going forward, and I can't help but think they have smelt blood here with currently, probably the two weakest Sydney clubs when it comes to finances.

Maybe they have identified their two targets.
Well there is word around the Sharks are on the brink of financial collapse and the NRL will take them over if they do.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do what they did with the Knights, find a buyer, maybe South Australia.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He could attend games, but he wasn't allowed in their box or dressing room at all yet the Broncos had him there anyway just to put a giant middle finger up to the NRL
Actually the Broncos didnt know he was invited.

He was invited by Wayne Bennett.