Sharks, Dogs go toe to toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
May 22, 2006

BULLDOGS coach Steve Folkes defended two Cronulla players in a bizarre aftermath to a wild afternoon at Telstra Stadium yesterday.

The Dogs were reduced to 11 men and the Sharks to 12 as Stuart Raper's men came back from 26-6 down to 26-24 with one minute left before a try to centre Willie Tonga assured the Belmore side a share of the Telstra Premiership lead.

But although his opposition scored four tries while the Bulldogs were short-handed, Folkes said Sharks centre Phil Bailey should not have been sent to the sin bin in the 58th minute for retaliating in a fight with Sonny Bill Williams, who was also dismissed.

And he also reckoned Sharks lock Paul Gallen was unlucky to be penalised for a late challenge on Dogs half Brent Sherwin in the 36th minute.

"I know whenever there's a fight they send both blokes to the sin bin," Folkes said. "If the guy is not the aggressor at the beginning, what's he going to do? Stand there and get hit?

"He's got to defend himself. I don't think Phil Bailey should have been sent to the sin bin."

Of the penalty against Gallen which allowed Hazem El Masri to make it 14-6 to the Dogs at halftime, he said: "I would have thought he would have had trouble pulling out."

When it was pointed out that he had stuck up for two Cronulla players, Folkes responded: "I don't know if I'm defending Cronulla players or criticising the referee".

Halfback Brett Kimmorley's comeback from ankle ligament damage was also nothing short of eventful -- he and centre Beau Scott were reported for a lifting tackle on Reni Maitua and "Noddy" also caught Bulldogs captain Tony Grimaldi high, while there were other scuffles including one between Grimaldi and Gallen.

The first half was a worthy and mostly even contest, early tries to winger Matt Utai (16 minutes) and five-eighth Daniel Holdsworth (19) giving the Bulldogs a 10-0 lead before Bailey crossed in the 30th minute.

Then Gallen was pinged by referee Tony Archer for his challenge on Sherwin, captain Kimmorley saying kickers were so over-protected now that chasers might as well take them out late because the result will be the same anyway -- a penalty.

"You might as well tell the players to go out there and put a shot on the halfback," said Kimmorley. "You're going to get penalised."

Gallen commented: "It was a bit stupid. There's no way I could have pulled out. I hit him as he kicked the ball. It was a big point in the game, really."

But after the break, the blue-and-whites blew the game open.

Winger El Masri scored off a Sherwin kick, Utai got his second after good lead-up from Tonga, a ball-stealing penalty brought El Masri up to the plate again and then Williams and Bailey were pointed towards the sheds.

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,19210482-5001023,00.html

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"You might as well tell the players to go out there and put a shot on the halfback," said Kimmorley
Ah, shut the **** up you whiney little cnut. Not everyone's a dirty cnut like you, you little piece of horse sht. BTW, BRILLIANT game you had yesterday!

PS: How good was the fight though? LOL It pumped me up big time!

Premiers04

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that penalty was sufficient as Gallen looked to put sherwin on his arse. Daley raised a good point yesterday and that was If a defender is looking to charge down a kick or put pressure on the kicker why dont they attack the ball ala steve price instead of attacking the player.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL at the Daily Propaganda calling us "BULLY DOGS"

That's right! We fight!

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the fight really was a non event between sbw and bailey, i didnt see one punch landed. penalty to the sharks would have been sufficient i think

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sonny landed a few but on the side of Bailey's face. You knew as soon as the Ref called Sonny up he was going to the Bin......

Status
Not open for further replies.