Official Sharks CEO Barry Russell resigns.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2019/03/05/barry-russell-sharks-ceo-statement/

Barry Russell Sharks CEO Statement
Sharks Media Tue 5 Mar 2019, 09:49 AM
It is with great sadness that I inform Cronulla Sharks Members, fans and Corporate Partners that I have made the decision to resign from my role as Cronulla Sharks Group CEO. I will depart the Club early April after ensuring we are Salary Cap compliant for the 2019 season.

It has been a very tough 12 months, both for the Club and for me personally. As you are aware, there have been several challenges we have had to face and resolve, particularly concerning integrity, governance, finances, personnel and structural change within the business. When I made the decision to self-report a salary cap discrepancy last year with the full approval of the Board, I most certainly did not foresee all the issues that were to follow. As hard as it has been I did however remain committed to seeing the Club through these challenging times and set a new course of proper Governance and Integrity. I’m proud that I’ve been able to clean this mess up and give the Club every chance of success.

We are now through this very difficult period and I believe the time is right for the Club to have a fresh start and be taken forward in a new direction. A new CEO will have the opportunity to start with a clean slate, alongside our talented new Head Coach John Morris, and build the best structure possible to lead the Club forward without any negative remnants from the past 12 months.

I’m so proud of what I have achieved over the last year and see this as a real turning point for the Club. It breaks my heart to walk away from a Club that has done so much for me and I have a great love for. This has been my greatest honour. I will always operate with the Club’s best interests at heart and I know this is best for our Club and myself.

My love for and loyalty to the Sharks remains forever strong and I want nothing but its long-term success. The Sharks will be a powerful force during the 2019 season and well into the future.

I would like to thank the Board, my wonderful staff, our awesome playing group, loyal members and fans for the role they have played in what has been an unforgettable journey carrying out my dream job. It just didn’t end the way I had imagined!

Lastly, thank you to my wife Jodie and family for their unconditional love and support. I could not have done the last year without you.

Thank you

Anyone think the Sharks are going to relocate or fold? Either way smart move to protect his professional image (and working future).

Sharks are screwed now.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How fucken stupid are the Sharks ?
They fire the only person with any integrity left at the club, and the man who saved them from a potentially club ending fine.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Resigned or pushed? Find it very strange that he resigns at this particular time.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The old pisspot said it on 360 last night that it would happen , he also blamed us for ben barber problem ......

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Resigned or pushed? Find it very strange that he resigns at this particular time.
He resigned. Smart move because hanging around the Sharks is bound to completely screw his future career path otherwise.

Just like Raelene Castle and Greenberg... people will stay far away from them.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old pisspot said it on 360 last night that it would happen , he also blamed us for ben barber problem ......
What did he say exactly ? It’s funny cause even sharks supporters hate old Rosey cheeks

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
its funny how he brought it back to us the old kook.. what about his personal life and up bringing, maybe that was the main contributing factor.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He said and i quote ...Go back to 2013 ben barber at canterbury bulldogs and the rumor that he assaulted his wife,he was sent to a rehab centre on the northern beaches , was supposed to be for a month. He checked out after 1 week and des picked him 2 weeks later with greenburg as ceo and my thoughts this . If the club had not worried about the 2 points and put barber back in rehab ,even stand him down for the whole year we might not of had this problem in townsville.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He said and i quote ...Go back to 2013 ben barber at canterbury bulldogs and the rumor that he assaulted his wife,he was sent to a rehab centre on the northern beaches , was supposed to be for a month. He checked out after 1 week and des picked him 2 weeks later with greenburg as ceo and my thoughts this . If the club had not worried about the 2 points and put barber back in rehab ,even stand him down for the whole year we might not of had this problem in townsville.
What a goose...
It’s been 6 years since that and his still fecking up...
Can’t fix stupid...
Speaking of clubs doing rash things for 2 points, his club the sharpies
Peptides, salary cap cheats etc
You don’t do that shit for ice creams.... all for points ya old drunk

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He resigned. Smart move because hanging around the Sharks is bound to completely screw his future career path otherwise.

Just like Raelene Castle and Greenberg... people will stay far away from them.
Reading an article today he actually resigned twice before the final time but the club would not accept the resignation. Apparently was asked not to attend a board meeting too...

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How fucken stupid are the Sharks ?
They fire the only person with any integrity left at the club, and the man who saved them from a potentially club ending fine.
If you run a red light would you pull up and ring the Police on yourself?

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Baz was too honest to work for the Sharks.