News Shane Flanagan puts his hand up to lead the basket case Bulldogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He will be interested as earlier this year he said would to have another go at full time coaching. Why wouldn’t he be interested with his past and current connections with Gus Gould.
If we sign Freddy as coach, I can see Mitchell Moses being our prised recruit at halfback. Coached him in Lebanon and give him an origin debut and always seems to protect him

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be very honest, if Shane Flanagan can get the best out of Kyle, then I don't mind the idea of keeping Kyle.

If Shane comes to the club and Kyle continues to dish up below-par performances and minimal involvement, there needs to be an acknowledgement from Shane that others will be able to have a say regarding Kyle's weekly selection specifically, as there is an obvious conflict of interest.

Ivan Cleary doesn't have that issue with Nathan at the moment, because Nathan is one of the top three players in the game. But in 2026/2027, it might be a different story and things could get tricky.
Mate in 2026 Nathan will probably have another 2 or 3 comps under his belt. He is the best player in the game and still will be by then. Most likely he will be even better.

Anyone comparing the Flanagans to the Clearys hasn’t watched much footy. We are comparing the number 1 halfback in the game to a fringe first grader ffs.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need an experienced hard nosed coach to take a killer roster to the finals. Make it happen!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My opinions going to differ to most on here. Not interested in seeing Gal or Ennis anywhere near the place. James Grahams a different story, would love to see him back.
Speaking of James Graham, he said on triple m this afternoon that we are in danger of becoming the new West Tigers lol. He's not wrong.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he says he won't play him if not good enough but then makes excuses for him despite him being trash and makes it seem like he'd play him anyway saying "you haven't seen anything he can do at the moment"...

The only way I'd want Flanagan the coach is if his son was already moved on first.
also the wording is a bit funny, 'best half back at the club'... we don't have any other half backs (for FG) so that would make him the best by default wouldnt it?

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mate in 2026 Nathan will probably have another 2 or 3 comps under his belt. He is the best player in the game and still will be by then. Most likely he will be even better.

Anyone comparing the Flanagans to the Clearys hasn’t watched much footy. We are comparing the number 1 halfback in the game to a fringe first grader ffs.
Tone it down a bit mate.
Here are some of the NRL's top players (Dally M) over the past 3-5 years that have arguably have dropped considerably in form.

Let me know if you think they're still the top of the game after a few more comps under their belt.

Jack Wighton
Aaron Woods
Shaun Johnson
Kalyn Ponga
Jarryd Hayne
Mitchell Pearce
Luke Keary
Cody Walker
Josh Hodgson
Luke Brooks
Ryan James
Corey Norman
Ash Taylor
Joey Leilua
Anthony Milford
Josh Jackson

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Moses 24 too. Out of that list only Munster or Moses otherwise we'll have to continue to develop one.
Yep but I was responding to someone who wanted Kyle Flanagan nowhere near the joint in 2023. New coach starts at the Bulldogs in 2023 which means unless we buy one of the above, Kyle is likely our 2023 halfback.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he says he won't play him if not good enough but then makes excuses for him despite him being trash and makes it seem like he'd play him anyway saying "you haven't seen anything he can do at the moment"...

The only way I'd want Flanagan the coach is if his son was already moved on first.
Sr did encourage Jr to go to the chooks as he wasn't the best 7 at the gummies at the time...
I tend to believe Sr is ruthless enough to drop Jr if he isn't playing well or the best option

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sr did encourage Jr to go to the chooks as he wasn't the best 7 at the gummies at the time...
I tend to believe Sr is ruthless enough to drop Jr if he isn't playing well or the best option
Very good point about Sen getting Jun to go to roosters

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd hope so too but again I'd rather avoid the situation entirely. Moreso because if we're being realistic, Kyle isn't good enough for FG and ideally we'd move him on anyway whether Shane coaches or not. He doesn't have a future at the club so the sooner he's moved on, the better for us and for him.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hes the only option at the moment. the others will be deers in headlights just like Potter right now!

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If we fuck around for too long (like we did with Holbrook), Tigers or Knights will sack their coaches, and snap up Flanno, and we'll be left with the dregs again.
Looking how the Titans are going. I'm not sure Holbrook would have done wonders here either. I think we need someone like Flanagan who is more hard nosed.

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Couldn't see the link earlier but for those who want a listen here is the link.
Shane is talking very candidly, seems as like a handshake had definitely been done.
Using terms in the media at the moment like DNA (how he would get it back) etc and also when he talked
about the Tigers game on Friday just seemed as if hes going to coach them very shortly lol.