News Shane Flanagan puts his hand up to lead the basket case Bulldogs

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was just about to say this.

I know from experience, as a matter of fact this morning actually - alot of coaches who coach their kids are harder on their kids than
the others and there is alot of reasons behind this.

Some reasons for example
- not wanting to show favouritism
- not allowing your child to feel as if there at home
- simply that you can't talk to the other kids like you do your son so you're less reserved.
- also because you really want to push them to do well.

Although it's worlds away from coaching NRL, it's the reason my son didn't speak to me after his under 10's game this morning, but I still love him and I'm sure he still loves me.
Nice one @papajoe yeah seen it for all of those above reasons and whilst it may not be at the same level, we are talking about people and their behaviours….some will show favouritism and others will be harsher than the rest of the team due to the relation.

PS if you’re son is mad at you, you must be the latter and not show favouritism but pushing him to do his best…you must be doing right

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think we need a fullback before a halfback

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One option is going for a solid HB and superstar FB.

Our HB just needs to do his job unleashing Burton.
We don’t really need to be wasting cash on a fullback when we could promote players like Credence. He’ll be a solid if not great fullback, hopefully he gets a shot this year to see if he’s up to it. Imo if Kiraz is, so is credence.

Halfback we need. Flanno is almost invisible which would be ok if he actually ran the team properly but he’s clearly not. I do think flanno isn’t showing anything he’s capable of, whether he can or will eventually who knows.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d love to see flanno and if we are talking about smarts and dna I’d love us to reach out to James graham and mick Ennis, Brett Morris is working at the roosters and doing the little things. Could you imagine graham sitting on the sidelines with our boys. He’d add so much passion, I’d see if graham would work under flanno and build himself up at a club he still has feelings for..
Can you imagine Graham running water? If he was doing it this year I’d reckon he would deadset take a hit up.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The son of a bitch just won't say "NO" he hasn't applied, interested, been approached or is even a possibility. It makes me think he is well and truly in the mix.
He will be interested as earlier this year he said would to have another go at full time coaching. Why wouldn’t he be interested with his past and current connections with Gus Gould.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coaches will drop there sons if improves their chances of success - the bigger problem is when junior players leave or players with more potential are not signed because nepotism exists or is perceived to exist, and that issue is definitely not limited to just the coach within a club.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be very honest, if Shane Flanagan can get the best out of Kyle, then I don't mind the idea of keeping Kyle.

If Shane comes to the club and Kyle continues to dish up below-par performances and minimal involvement, there needs to be an acknowledgement from Shane that others will be able to have a say regarding Kyle's weekly selection specifically, as there is an obvious conflict of interest.

Ivan Cleary doesn't have that issue with Nathan at the moment, because Nathan is one of the top three players in the game. But in 2026/2027, it might be a different story and things could get tricky.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be very honest, if Shane Flanagan can get the best out of Kyle, then I don't mind the idea of keeping Kyle.

If Shane comes to the club and Kyle continues to dish up below-par performances and minimal involvement, there needs to be an acknowledgement from Shane that others will be able to have a say regarding Kyle's weekly selection specifically, as there is an obvious conflict of interest.

Ivan Cleary doesn't have that issue with Nathan at the moment, because Nathan is one of the top three players in the game. But in 2026/2027, it might be a different story and things could get tricky.
I don't want to see the best out of Kyle. I want to see the back of him. His best isn't FG standard. No matter who the coach is next year, he shouldn't be at the club simply because he's not good enough.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't want to see the best out of Kyle. I want to see the back of him. His best isn't FG standard. No matter who the coach is next year, he shouldn't be at the club simply because he's not good enough.
We will need a top-tier halfback ($1.2m max)... Halves off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Munster, Drinkwater, Dylan Brown, Ben Hunt, Sam Walker, Hastings

I don't see anyone else at the Bulldogs that would occupy the spot better than Flanagan for next year. As for 2024, it's slim pickings. Of the above, the only players who are number 7 are Hunt, Walker and Hastings. Walker will be difficult to pry from the Roosters, Hastings looks good in a sub-par team. Hunt would be best choice but he's getting long in the tooth.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bit of a serious dude, thats what we want.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We will need a top-tier halfback ($1.2m max)... Halves off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Munster, Drinkwater, Dylan Brown, Ben Hunt, Sam Walker, Hastings

I don't see anyone else at the Bulldogs that would occupy the spot better than Flanagan for next year. As for 2024, it's slim pickings. Of the above, the only players who are number 7 are Hunt, Walker and Hastings. Walker will be difficult to pry from the Roosters, Hastings looks good in a sub-par team. Hunt would be best choice but he's getting long in the tooth.
Moses 24 too. Out of that list only Munster or Moses otherwise we'll have to continue to develop one.