Shane Flanagan officially signs with St George Illawarra Dragons

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score

After a lengthy negotiation process, the St George Illawarra Dragons have officially agreed to terms with former Sharks head coach Shane Flanagan.

The premiership-winning mentor will join Paul McGregor's staff as an assistant on a one-year deal.

The signing comes just a year after Flanagan was banned by the NRL for engaging with the Sharks during his one-year suspension in 2014, with Todd Greenberg announcing in September the coach will be free to return to the game from December 18.

Flanagan remains banned from taking a head coaching role for the next two seasons.

The signing comes after the Dragons overhauled their coaching staff earlier this month in a bid to produce an immediate turnaround on the field following a disappointing season.

McGregor kept his job, despite the side finishing 15th on the ladder, with Flanagan's former Sharks colleague James Shepherd also joining the club as an assistant.

Read more: Lomax, Dufty stake claim for St George Illawarra fullback role

Dean Young retained his position, with Ben Hornby departing, while the club also confirmed Wednesday Matthew Head will remain as Canterbury Cup coach.

Faced with the opportunity to work with a premiership-winning coach, McGregor said he looks forward to working with Flanagan.

"Shane will be a valuable asset to the Dragons' endeavours in 2020," McGregor said. "His success has been proven time and time again over many years and we're glad to have him on board."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So Flanagan will basically be the ghost coach while Mary fronts the media?

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So Flanagan will basically be the ghost coach while Mary fronts the media?
The fact that Mary is still there at all is mind baffling, you would feel shitter being a Dragons supporter then a Bulldogs over the last few years. All the talent required to compete and still can't deliver shit outside a nearly wooden spoon finish and the **** still gets a free pass every year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
One year appointment.

Controversial figure but he might be in the mix as our next coach. Awkward situation for him.

Was a head coach... now

Every decision under the microscope and will have to walk on egg shells to keep out of controvery from all angles...Mary, ego,training methods, fans, Todd. It will be more interesting watching that than watching the Dragons lol.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
One year appointment.

Controversial figure but he might be in the mix as our next coach. Awkward situation for him.

Was a head coach... now

Every decision under the microscope and will have to walk on egg shells to keep out of controvery from all angles...Mary, ego,training methods, fans, Todd. It will be more interesting watching that than watching the Dragons lol.
Amendment:

"The 53-year-old won't be allowed to attend his first Dragons training session until December 18 and won't be eligible to take over as an NRL head coach at any club until 2022".

Not here 2021 ...as Head Coach at least ...maybe he will wonder the world as a travelling minstral assistant coach.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
One year there an over to us of pay doesn’t pull through this year maybe lol..!!

however I’m hoping for a big 2020 in pays part, I think he may have the boys in the right mindset.. until further notice..!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
One year there an over to us of pay doesn’t pull through this year maybe lol..!!

however I’m hoping for a big 2020 in pays part, I think he may have the boys in the right mindset.. until further notice..!!
Think your onto a good thing there Scoobs.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saints will be cheering if he becomes head coach... Mary is woeful

Banned
Reaction score
With limited input being an assistant only, it will be interesting to see any change in St Gronks next year.
If there is, it's probably safe to put it down to Shane's influence, which will determine his worth.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I doubt that scum will ever be anywhere near our club. I wouldn’t get too excited

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Next Dragons Head Coach, whether its 2020 or 2021 doesn't really matter, he'll be moulding the side from now on.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt that scum will ever be anywhere near our club. I wouldn’t get too excited
Fuck him, the further away from our club the better. Still can't believe some people think this bloke is an option. Nothing but a cheat.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fuck him, the further away from our club the better. Still can't believe some people think this bloke is an option. Nothing but a cheat.
He’s an arrogant prick too. The only way I could see him at our club is if Ray Dib runs for chairman again and wins