News Shane Flanagan breaks silence on son Kyle’s move from Roosters to Bulldogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan says “love from Baz and the Bulldogs” has helped son Kyle over the “hurt” from his shock axing at the Sydney Roosters and primed to relaunch his NRL career under Trent Barrett at Canterbury.
For the first time in his career, Flanagan will be the chief playmaker when he partners Brandon Wakeham in the halves against Newcastle on Friday night.

But while Flanagan concedes “deep down” Kyle will be playing with a point to prove, his dad has also warned him not to go out and “play with that anger”.

Flanagan also revealed how Barrett had helped Kyle recover from the humiliation that followed his controversial exit from Bondi, saying: “It was good for Kyle to feel that he was wanted again.”

Of the departure from the Roosters, Flanagan recalled how the initial disappointment of getting dropped during last season still didn’t prepare Kyle for Trent Robinson’s brutal post season review.

Flanagan maintains he had no inclination of what might be coming given there had been little warning from previous conversations with either Robinson or halves coach Cooper Cronk.

“It did affect him,” Flanagan said.

“It definitely hurt. It took two or three weeks for him to get over it.

“It was a bumpy road but he is a really tough and resilient kid.

“Obviously it is going to make him stronger.

“He understands that footy is a business and as a halfback in the NRL he has to get the job done.”

And Shane reckons it might also be the making of Kyle in years to come.

“100 per cent,” Flanagan said. “He could be at the Bulldogs for another six or seven years and he could stay there his whole career.

“And that is what he might have needed. We are not quite sure. But he is definitely over it.

“It was two or three weeks but once he signed with the Bulldogs there was a lot of love from Baz and the Bulldogs.

“I think he just sort of said, ‘Righto, I want to prove everyone wrong’ and he got on with his training.”

Asked if he thinks Kyle will play with a point to prove on Friday night, Flanagan added: “Probably deep down.

“But it is hard to go out and play with that anger.

“You have to go out with a clear head and treat every game as it is.

“Obviously when they play the Roosters (in round 17) I am sure he will have a spring in his step and have a bit more motivation.

“But for the Bulldogs, Trent (Barrett) has given him a real big responsibility and has trusted him.

“And the team revolves a fair bit around (Kyle), so he has got a big job there.

“He can’t be worrying about all that other peripheral stuff, like last year and what people are saying.

“He just has to concentrate on his job.”

Flanagan says Barrett has had a wonderful influence.

Barrett had an outstanding relationship with his players at Manly and was also given huge credit when attack coach at Penrith last year.

“I don’t know how to put it but he doesn’t remove himself,” Flanagan explained of Barrett’s ability to win players’ trust.

“It is not the playing group and the coaching staff. Trent is part of them … he involves himself in it.

“I think that leads to a lot of things.

“The players trust him and talk to him because it is not just ‘do this, do that’.

“He actually cares about him.”

Flanagan says he can’t wait to jump in the car and hit the M1 north to Newcastle to watch the game live.

“He has handled himself really well the whole time,” he said of Kyle.

“There has been different situations where people have tried to have cracks at him from the sidelines.

“There has been times on the field where they have ruffed him up.

“But he just gets on with it.

“He has been around footy all his life. He understands what the role of a halfback is.”

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
who wrote this and is it a scoop that Avo wont be playing ?

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Ah yes, there it is, the other storyline that will be milked and regurgitated each week this season.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan needs to do a sit down tell-all interview with Oprah and spill his guts on his son and the broken relationship with the roosters.... and announce that he is pregnant too.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Shane’s had his say, hopefully we won’t hear any more after the season starts.

Any father would say the same type of thing and defend their family if given the platform.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously it’s time to move on from this. Your not a rooster anymore so needs to stop talking about them. Just go out play good for the dogs and prove them wrong.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan says “love from Baz and the Bulldogs” has helped son Kyle over the “hurt” from his shock axing at the Sydney Roosters and primed to relaunch his NRL career under Trent Barrett at Canterbury.
For the first time in his career, Flanagan will be the chief playmaker when he partners Brandon Wakeham in the halves against Newcastle on Friday night.

But while Flanagan concedes “deep down” Kyle will be playing with a point to prove, his dad has also warned him not to go out and “play with that anger”.

Flanagan also revealed how Barrett had helped Kyle recover from the humiliation that followed his controversial exit from Bondi, saying: “It was good for Kyle to feel that he was wanted again.”

Of the departure from the Roosters, Flanagan recalled how the initial disappointment of getting dropped during last season still didn’t prepare Kyle for Trent Robinson’s brutal post season review.

Flanagan maintains he had no inclination of what might be coming given there had been little warning from previous conversations with either Robinson or halves coach Cooper Cronk.

“It did affect him,” Flanagan said.

“It definitely hurt. It took two or three weeks for him to get over it.

“It was a bumpy road but he is a really tough and resilient kid.

“Obviously it is going to make him stronger.

“He understands that footy is a business and as a halfback in the NRL he has to get the job done.”

And Shane reckons it might also be the making of Kyle in years to come.

“100 per cent,” Flanagan said. “He could be at the Bulldogs for another six or seven years and he could stay there his whole career.

“And that is what he might have needed. We are not quite sure. But he is definitely over it.

“It was two or three weeks but once he signed with the Bulldogs there was a lot of love from Baz and the Bulldogs.

“I think he just sort of said, ‘Righto, I want to prove everyone wrong’ and he got on with his training.”

Asked if he thinks Kyle will play with a point to prove on Friday night, Flanagan added: “Probably deep down.

“But it is hard to go out and play with that anger.

“You have to go out with a clear head and treat every game as it is.

“Obviously when they play the Roosters (in round 17) I am sure he will have a spring in his step and have a bit more motivation.

“But for the Bulldogs, Trent (Barrett) has given him a real big responsibility and has trusted him.

“And the team revolves a fair bit around (Kyle), so he has got a big job there.

“He can’t be worrying about all that other peripheral stuff, like last year and what people are saying.

“He just has to concentrate on his job.”

Flanagan says Barrett has had a wonderful influence.

Barrett had an outstanding relationship with his players at Manly and was also given huge credit when attack coach at Penrith last year.

“I don’t know how to put it but he doesn’t remove himself,” Flanagan explained of Barrett’s ability to win players’ trust.

“It is not the playing group and the coaching staff. Trent is part of them … he involves himself in it.

“I think that leads to a lot of things.

“The players trust him and talk to him because it is not just ‘do this, do that’.

“He actually cares about him.”

Flanagan says he can’t wait to jump in the car and hit the M1 north to Newcastle to watch the game live.

“He has handled himself really well the whole time,” he said of Kyle.

“There has been different situations where people have tried to have cracks at him from the sidelines.

“There has been times on the field where they have ruffed him up.

“But he just gets on with it.

“He has been around footy all his life. He understands what the role of a halfback is.”

The young fella doesn't need the added pressure !!!
Are you done with Talk the talk ?
Now you have to Walk the walk !!!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Oh well Friday night we gon’ see

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
so wakeham in the halves not avo?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He should have a few tricks up his sleeve, he helped the Jets to the NSW Cup final a couple of years ago but I don't expect miracles straight away, the Canterbury transition could take a bit.
Keeping pressure on Pearce is going to be our main problem this week.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should have a few tricks up his sleeve, he helped the Jets to the NSW Cup final a couple of years ago but I don't expect miracles straight away, the Canterbury transition could take a bit.
Keeping pressure on Pearce is going to be our main problem this week.
Need to get to Pearce early and his head could cave.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just glad we have flanno here .!!! Be good to see him develop in a top player .!!!

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone should’ve waited till TLT before posting this...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I repeat kyle is the half we need but the same as nathan at Penrith he will take tike to evolve under trent give him time peeps and he will be good

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shane’s had his say, hopefully we won’t hear any more after the season starts.

Any father would say the same type of thing and defend their family if given the platform.
I think he needs to marry Prince Harry BEFORE he does Oprah

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a good thing he doesn't play the Roosters until rd 17. He will need time to settle in & having that game early would have put more pressure on him. Just do your best Flange!