Server Issues

Nash

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dear Kennelers,

Of late you may have noticed a few unexpected downtimes. At present we've moved our hosting to a self-managed server (since most hosting providers wouldn't touch the kennel due to it's high bandwidth consumption) in a bid to speed up and prepare The Kennel for our official 2013 season launch.

At present, we've been faced a few hiccups which have resulted in The Kennel being down in some cases for a few minutes, in others for a day or two.

We really appreciate your patience with us, as a lot of time we are left to troubleshoot a lot of the problems ourselves and like everyone else, we have day jobs and life commitments to attend to.

Our plan is iron out all the bugs as we have been in time for the 2013 season launch where The Kennel will sport a new front page for news articles and the mobile app/mobile friendly browsing.

Thanks again guys,

Nash

All queries or bug reports can be directed to thekennelforum@gmail.com

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dear Kennelers,

Of late you may have noticed a few unexpected downtimes. At present we've moved our hosting to a self-managed server (since most hosting providers wouldn't touch the kennel due to it's high bandwidth consumption) in a bid to speed up and prepare The Kennel for our official 2013 season launch.

At present, we've been faced a few hiccups which have resulted in The Kennel being down in some cases for a few minutes, in others for a day or two.

We really appreciate your patience with us, as a lot of time we are left to troubleshoot a lot of the problems ourselves and like everyone else, we have day jobs and life commitments to attend to.

Our plan is iron out all the bugs as we have been in time for the 2013 season launch where The Kennel will sport a new front page for news articles and the mobile app/mobile friendly browsing.

Thanks again guys,

I just hate it when I'm out at a resturant with the missus and she's boring me and I log into the kennel to find out its down :(

Nash

All queries or bug reports can be directed to thekennelforum@gmail.com
Woot woot!! about time there is a mobile app. When is the expected release date for this?

Great work and thanks for the update Nash.

But perhaps a couple of considerations to consider is perhaps informing us users when your operating on the system/servers etc.

If its going to a 1-3 days perhaps sending us a PM to let us know of the expected down times periods or updates viaemail, twitter, facebook etc.

I just hate it when I'm out at a resturant with the missus and shes boring me, I log onto the Kennel to findout its down :(

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
lol Tonee.

I think in the future Twitter will be used more, as at the moment it's a little hit and miss as to who is updating the official Kennel Twitter page, not to mention those updating may not know the situation on the servers (only admins normally know this, but admins/mods have access to the Twitter account).

The other thing is sometimes you'll have unexpected outages.

Thanks for the update Nash.... should be good once it's all up and running on the new servers :grinning:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol Tonee.

I think in the future Twitter will be used more, as at the moment it's a little hit and miss as to who is updating the official Kennel Twitter page, not to mention those updating may not know the situation on the servers (only admins normally know this, but admins/mods have access to the Twitter account).

The other thing is sometimes you'll have unexpected outages.

Thanks for the update Nash.... should be good once it's all up and running on the new servers :grinning:
LOL fair enough... but not everyone uses twitter eg me

But yeah all good I just usually troll the Chookpen when its down haha

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Remember MySpace Tonee ???
Yep ... loved that site.

Then Facebook came along .... and I resisted for a while .... but inevitably the old groups settings suckered me in, and I managed to track down some long-lost childhood pals and I became a devout FB user.

Then Twitter came along .... and I resisted for a while .... but inevitably I found (a) news reporting was 1000% faster than mainstream media, (b) sport chatter direct from the source/sources provides a fly on the wall perspective, (c) there are some p*ss funny people on it, and (d) it refined my smart-@rse skills down to 140 characters.

No doubt something else will eventually come along and usurp Twitter .... but right now I dont like Tumblr much, it'll have to be something else. :p

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
What volumes of data does the site do each month, if you don't mind me asking? Have you talked to any of the other big sites how they host/manage their sites?

E46Fanatics in the US uses vBulletin, have their own App for viewing and have user numbers like this

Unique Visitors 1,000,000+
Page Views 7,500,000+
Members 180,000+
Posts 12,000,000+

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/ they might be able to point you in the right direction. User Tim330i is the owner/admin.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Instagram?
LOL You're kidding right!!

What volumes of data does the site do each month, if you don't mind me asking? Have you talked to any of the other big sites how they host/manage their sites?

E46Fanatics in the US uses vBulletin, have their own App for viewing and have user numbers like this

Unique Visitors 1,000,000+
Page Views 7,500,000+
Members 180,000+
Posts 12,000,000+

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/ they might be able to point you in the right direction. User Tim330i is the owner/admin.
Or even bodybuilding.com their numbers would be a billion times more

P.S I'm on e46fanatics as well ;)

Nash

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Apologies for the minor downtime today.