Serial Arsonist and Insurance Fraudster

Status
Not open for further replies.

good doggie

Waterboy
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...-after-burning-down-three-homes-for-insurance

Full Story at Link

A mother of seven could be out of jail by February after pleading guilty to burning down three rental properties in four years.

Rebecca McKellar's crime spree began in 2011 while she was renting a property from owner Kim Douglas. McKellar took out contents insurance to the tune of $28,000, and nine days later the residence went up in flames. McKellar received $17,000 in insurance and moved on.

Three years later, she staged a robbery at another property she lived at nine days after taking out contents insurance, even breaking a back window with a metal pole. She collected almost $13,000 in insurance.

Four years ago, she set another rental property on fire, this time causing so much damage the residence had to be bulldozed. McKellar told police she lit a candle in the bedroom and went out for the day.
She claimed at the time that she had no insurance, but it was later revealed she collected a payout of almost $60,000.

Less than a year later, she set fire to a public housing residence after taking out $120,000 in contents insurance.

"I honestly really don't know what started it," McKellar said to media at the time. Police grew suspicious when she again denied having insurance, and McKellar was charged with three counts of arson, four counts of fraud and one count of wilful damage.

She disappeared again, only to re-surface in Perth where police found her again.

She finally pleaded guilty to the charges and was sentenced to six years in jail, but will be eligible for parole after 18 months.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I edited the first post because it's a good article worthy of discussion regardless @good doggie ..

So a mother of 7 on Centrelink, and looks like she's also a bit retarded herself.

I question though:
1. How can insurance companies continue to offer her insurance? Surely her name should be blackisted after coming up with a few proven suspect claims?
2. How is she continuing to get rentals? Hopefully once this story spreads she's on every tenant blacklist in Australia, and banned from public housing. People like this DESERVE to live under a bridge their lives.

Feel sorry for the owner of that place being so badly out of pocket.

Then the slap in the face. 6 years prison, with 18 months inside before she can get parole.

When she gets out I hope NOBODY offers her a house, and no insurance company will offer ANY insurances to her (car, house, or otherwise).

In addition any money she does have should go towards paying back the insurance companies and (more importantly) the out of pocket first owner.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
She must be a fan of the wrestler Seth Rollins. Just listen to the start of his entrance music.

Status
Not open for further replies.