Opinion Season stats so far

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naden and Fox are building a combo on that left side and will continue to improve. Wouldn’t blow it all up just yet. I would just do a straight swap Okunbor out for Allen or shoupp. Anyone but okunbor holy fuck the guy is the worst player I’ve ever seen

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
JMK needs to be subbed off earlier too bro IF we are going to persist with starting the game with him. He played one of his better games which was still mediocre BUT soon as BBO came on we had a kick and things started happening.
He should be but he looked gassed within 15 minutes and we used a few changes just rotating TPJ last night. I don't think we have the changes available to rotate our hooker that early unless we sacrifice a middle rotation or two and have anear 80 minute middle playing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Naden and Fox are building a combo on that left side and will continue to improve. Wouldn’t blow it all up just yet. I would just do a straight swap Okunbor out for Allen or shoupp. Anyone but okunbor holy fuck the guy is the worst player I’ve ever seen
i don't agree, haven't seen any sort of combo building.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s because broncos were terrible and we should’ve beat them if we executed our plays
Broncos scramble D was good TBH. We are two games into a very new team. It's gonna take time for everyone to get those little things right.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@Mutt Dafty pretty interesting to see Vaughan, TPJ and Thompson all promoting the ball yesterday - I prefer that structure then having Jackson being the "ball playing middle." Thoughts?
Jackson still had more passes than any other forward (20). His passing was clean enough, the trouble is he doesn't attract any defenders the way Yeo, Radley, and Murray do. He doesn't have a great metres per run average either. We do still need him for defense, in my opinion.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Jackson actually passed the ball more yesterday haha, handled the ball 28 times with 20 passes. His minutes have were cut down to 51 though so maybe he's just a little fresher and wasn't as noticeably bad? Like you mentioned the other forwards did chip in with ball movement...Thompson (5 passes), King (4 passes, 3 offloads), TPJ (3 passes, 7 offloads), Vaughan (1 pass, 1 offload) so it probably helped break things up a little.

Just on Max king...big call but i'm prepared to say he could be a top 5 prop by the end of the season if his minutes increase. His workrate and quality is immense, i need him re-signed asap :tearsofjoy:
Huh, there you go. Really liking the workrate of our middle, thought they handled Haas well until they were gassed.

Yeah Max could be anything, very impressive - I think they let Vaughan walk at the end of the year.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Jackson still had more passes than any other forward (20). His passing was clean enough, the trouble is he doesn't attract any defenders the way Yeo, Radley, and Murray do. He doesn't have a great metres per run average either. We do still need him for defense, in my opinion.
Said the same this morning haha. You're right defensively, he absolutely busts his arse.

Not really, his role is to dig into the line and pass - the problem is that he doesn't attract attention as a running threat.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep Naden and fox should be given more time together. We haven’t seen much yet but those two combined will create some magic. I’d like to see young Shoupp bought back in. He looks to have more upside then Allen imo. Sure his trial from was patchy but he has presence and hits very hard in D. We need players that put some fear in the opposition

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree it’s time for okenboring to go. Move naren to wing and bring in either schoup or Allen if fit. The team looked better then what they have in years, asked plenty of questions.
One area of concern I have is when you looked up the overall stats of the game - metres made, tackles, offloads, possession etc we dominated In every area by quite a bit. The stats alone would suggest we should have won by at least 18 points, although I am aware that stats alone don’t win games.

good to see a large improvement on what we have offered the last few years though. Keep up the good work gents we only improve with time.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What happened on here last night was disgusting imo. I'm always getting smashed for supposedly being negative yet look at all you cats crying on here when there's plenty of positives and improvements on last season. Yes it's disappointing to lose that game but try and look past that, we're a bottom 4 side trying to develop into a top 8 side so i think peoplereally need to use some perspective.

So far this season we're..

THIRD for line breaks.
SIXTH for line break assists.
THIRD for line engaged.
SEVENTH for support runs.
SECOND for decoy runs.
FIRST for run metres.
SIXTH for post contact metres.
SECOND for offloads.
EIGTH for missed tackles.

Did many genuinely think we would be up there after 2 rounds? I didn't. We're creating chances, lots of them but have just failed to ice them. We're moving the ball around more and although we lack polish and variation we at least look to be building combinations. We also physically aren't getting bullied like previous seasons. Maybe with some more time that support runner gets there a fraction quicker to receive the pass, maybe with some more time our players get more belief in their skill, maybe with some more time we build chemistry, etc. I'm no fan of Baz but at least there looks to be something to work off this season.
Aren’t we 1/2 ? Lost by one try and an illegal try at that, where he ran at burns outside shoulder? You are spot on mate, I was out there, I thought we played outstanding, held up over the line on 4 occasions also. I also rate Brisbane this year , so the form around them is good.
there won’t be any changes for this week so everyone needs to get on board and support the team. Not like a few others that are wanting us to fail.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not surprised by the offloads, we got 20 just last night, TPJ with 7.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Huh, there you go. Really liking the workrate of our middle, thought they handled Haas well until they were gassed.

Yeah Max could be anything, very impressive - I think they let Vaughan walk at the end of the year.
I'm not sure if out fitness is a concern but it looks a bit questionable at this stage. We are playing through fatigue better and at the end of both games both teams have been out on their feet so maybe its just the sort of contest we're making it. Dolphins will be sniffing around our forwards so we will probably only be able to retain one of the two unless there's a couple more outs.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren’t we 1/2 ? Lost by one try and an illegal try at that, where he ran at burns outside shoulder? You are spot on mate, I was out there, I thought we played outstanding, held up over the line on 4 occasions also. I also rate Brisbane this year , so the form around them is good.
there won’t be any changes for this week so everyone needs to get on board and support the team. Not like a few others that are wanting us to fail.
I was at the game and thought we were outstanding considering it’s only round 2.
The forwards constantly looking to off load even when they had two or three on them.
This created second phase all afternoon and extra yardage throwing the broncos defensive line out of kilt.
In time with good support players pushing up this will turn into points.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree, some extremely good signs. I thought we were the better side and basically Okunbor was the difference. A few things I took out of the game.

I think Naden is our best option to replace Okunbor. Strong Carries and I think he held the pass up too many times.

I think the best thing is for Baz to stick solid with the spine but part of me wants Avo inside Ado Car as a centre.

Love TPJ in the middle and can’t wait for kikau to take that edge spot although Waddell was solid. Hethrington is raw but great signs.

I don’t think we should Re-sign Vaughn when we can have Max King. The bloke is brilliant.

Burton. Just WOW I hope we keep him for a long time to come. I think this kid could go down as one of the best players the club has seen.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened on here last night was disgusting imo. I'm always getting smashed for supposedly being negative yet look at all you cats crying on here when there's plenty of positives and improvements on last season. Yes it's disappointing to lose that game but try and look past that, we're a bottom 4 side trying to develop into a top 8 side so i think peoplereally need to use some perspective.

THIRD for line breaks.
THIRD for line engaged.
SECOND for decoy runs.
FIRST for run metres.
SECOND for offloads.

Did many genuinely think we would be up there after 2 rounds? I didn't. We're creating chances, lots of them but have just failed to ice them. We're moving the ball around more and although we lack polish and variation we at least look to be building combinations. We also physically aren't getting bullied like previous seasons. Maybe with some more time that support runner gets there a fraction quicker to receive the pass, maybe with some more time our players get more belief in their skill, maybe with some more time we build chemistry, etc. I'm no fan of Baz but at least there looks to be something to work off this season.
If we had 12 players on the field or anyone else on Okonburs wing we win that game.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

THIRD for line breaks.
THIRD for line engaged.
SECOND for decoy runs.
FIRST for run metres.
SECOND for offloads.

Well, I’ll be damned, Marley created a positive thread

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Offloads.and run metres are the one. It’s beautiful to finally be able to produce those two especially, something we’ve lacked for years. Wins you more games that’s for sure. Big improvement!!