Scrums - Do you think they are still needed

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve got an observation on scrums currently. I saw Cameron Munster feed a few scrums - a week or two back and it was obvious he was not going to feed straight when he fed the ball. What was even more fascinating was the referee didn’t pick up him feeding the ball incorrectly and so blantantly. I know In the past it was important for the hookers to try and fight to try and win the ball against the feed, but the current game just makes a joke of it. What do all you Bulldog fans think? I think the scrums are a complete waste of time - in the current game. They also kill time for a leading team (near the end of a game).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They give the teams a breather and allow for a more open backing from the scrum for about 15 seconds. That's probably about it.

I'd still like them kept though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like how teams can attack from a scrum. I think we need harsher penalties on teams/players breaking early. We also get the scrum push back with teams holding the ball at the base of the scrum.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
100% they are needed ... Give shit teams like ours the rare opportunity to get set for a decent play close to the line

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mentioned this before,
The reason scrums are the way they are is that Channel 9 worked out that if the scrums were sped up they could put another 2-3 minutes worth of advertising in their broadcast and an integral part of the game has been lost forever.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how teams can attack from a scrum. I think we need harsher penalties on teams/players breaking early. We also get the scrum push back with teams holding the ball at the base of the scrum.
Actually that makes sense. Good idea

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all you guys are saying, it’s just the feeding of the ball is pathetic. Munsters feeding of the ball is a joke.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with all you guys are saying, it’s just the feeding of the ball is pathetic. Munsters feeding of the ball is a joke.
But its been like that for what 10 years now?
As for keeping them, I dont care any more. I always liked the idea of the scrum to atleast afford an opportunity to win against the feed but those days are long gone.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The scrum is a very important part of the game and serves two purposes. Firstly it gives the forwards a quick breather and secondly takes the forwards out of the first tackle allowing the more nimble backline to attack. If V'landys had any idea of how the game works he would have known this and not negated the scrum and introduce the 6 again to compensate.
It will never happen but the NRL need to stop, take a deep breath, wind the clock back 30 or 40 years, review the rules to bring them into line with the modern game and remove the thuggery not the mechanics of the game. And ditch the useless 6 again rules.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The scrum is a very important part of the game and serves two purposes. Firstly it gives the forwards a quick breather and secondly takes the forwards out of the first tackle allowing the more nimble backline to attack. If V'landys had any idea of how the game works he would have known this and not negated the scrum and introduce the 6 again to compensate.
It will never happen but the NRL need to stop, take a deep breath, wind the clock back 30 or 40 years, review the rules to bring them into line with the modern game and remove the thuggery not the mechanics of the game. And ditch the useless 6 again rules.
I'm a touch over 40 now so I did get some years of watching scrums that were a contest and I'd love to see that reintroduced to the game.

I'd argue that most of the changes to rules in the last 10-20 years have gradually created grey areas that could be ruled on selectively by referees. Take the Shephard rule for example. It's frequently exploited now to the point where many decoy runners will roll the dice and impede defenders. At times refs will call it out, others they won't and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I'd like to see that rule return as it was first intended. You run behind your own player while you have the ball and it gifts the opposition the ball.

Back to the topic, scrums as they are currently are a joke. I don't want them abolished though. I agree that scrums and many other rules should be rolled back to something closer to the original design of the game. Rules should be black and white, not shades of grey that leaves referees with the option of having to apparently decide if play was affected.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd like to see more scrums not less as it opens up the field, but they should have to pack in to the scrum according to where they play, props and hooker packing in to the front row, 2nd rowers where they belong, the lock actually locking the scrum and the half back feeding the ball into the scrum. That would make a huge difference as to how the game is played directly following a scrum. Plus it gets those farkin forwards out of the backline in offence AND defence.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd like to see more scrums not less as it opens up the field, but they should have to pack in to the scrum according to where they play, props and hooker packing in to the front row, 2nd rowers where they belong, the lock actually locking the scrum and the half back feeding the ball into the scrum. That would make a huge difference as to how the game is played directly following a scrum. Plus it gets those farkin forwards out of the backline in offence AND defence.

Always a Bulldog
wont work, as a coach all i do is play my second rower in the centre jersey but defend/offence as a edge. Come scrum time he can play out of the scrum. Put my hooker in the 13 jersey, then he can still play at the back of the base of the scrum.
See your point tho, coaches would always find a way around it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
wont work, as a coach all i do is play my second rower in the centre jersey but defend/offence as a edge. Come scrum time he can play out of the scrum. Put my hooker in the 13 jersey, then he can still play at the back of the base of the scrum.
See your point tho, coaches would always find a way around it.
That's OK, for every scrum the centre with a second rower number on his back has to pack into that scrum. Same for the hooker/lock. Currently the coaches swap around whoever joins each scrum, often based on where it is on the field.

FWIW there are international rules on rugby league player numbering, so it could get interesting if coaches decide to number their players not complying with the international rules.

Source; https://www.playrugbyleague.com/media/10100/nrl-international-rules-book-2020-a5-v2-web.pdf

Always a Bulldog

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without scrums you'd have 17 backs picked each week and no one wants that.