Scruffy but some good signs

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This difference in is positional play on defence vs okunbum is chalk n cheese
I've noticed, especially yesterday as I was in the stands, inside of Ockie was constantly coming in, so Ockie has no other option but to follow or leave a gaping hole. You have to look at the big picture. It's not always his fault. He did well to cover yesterday.

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I missed the game and I am reading the comments just now. It seems to me JaC has a quiet game. Is anyone able to give me a quick brief on how he did.
JAC did reasonably well. He made a couple of good breaks but had no support. He fired the team up. Someone in another comment complained that he didn’t hit up strong enough coming out of our own end. I don’t agree with that and I don’t think it is worth it for him to risk getting injured by making himself a battering ram taking suicide hit ups out of our own 10 metres

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JAC did reasonably well. He made a couple of good breaks but had no support. He fired the team up. Someone in another comment complained that he didn’t hit up strong enough coming out of our own end. I don’t agree with that and I don’t think it is worth it for him to risk getting injured by making himself a battering ram taking suicide hit ups out of our own 10 metres
Exactly bro, we didn’t purchase JAC to be a battering ram and play like Sailor and Tuquiri. He isn’t a big body and would be easy picking for the big guys to smash with the one out hit ups. This is where Cotric was an asset, big powerful ball runner.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avs try was hard to award to be fair duftys was marginally forward the two teams were evenly matched imho goal kick in it their fb was marginally offside rules are rules I wouldn’t have been surprised if the game finished with a draw but one positive for me was we tightened our defense that’s what probably won it for us in the end

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’ll need to be better against the broncos, but that win was needed at any cost

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We're at home, the Broncos game is definitely winnable for us.
If we get the penalties 8-2, 65% of the ball, and the Broncos have a key forward sin binned, I reckon we'll have a chance - but we saw yesterday that those stats always go the other way - against us. Even when the Cowboys continued to infringe the 10 metres, they were allowed to keep all their players.

Imagine if we had the luxury of playing against 12 men late in the second half.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually planned to do some comparison between the passing game of Mahoney and JMK today but got lost on checking out our new players. But I noticed last year that we habitually went to the right often.
That plus it seem that our forwards and backs don't ever stand deep in attack. Thats why by the time our first receivers get the ball the defenders are always in our faces.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Avs try was hard to award to be fair duftys was marginally forward the two teams were evenly matched imho goal kick in it their fb was marginally offside rules are rules I wouldn’t have been surprised if the game finished with a draw but one positive for me was we tightened our defense that’s what probably won it for us in the end
And we did it with players out of position due to the HIAs, and in pouring rain. Hammer would have been short of the line if the ground wasn't soaked and slippery, and JAC might have hung onto that ball when he made that break.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed the game and I am reading the comments just now. It seems to me JaC has a quiet game. Is anyone able to give me a quick brief on how he did.
He didn't have a "quite" game he was talking all the time. Geeing up our players and very safe in defence. Bloody Cummins told him to be quiet at one stage. I know thats not what you ment by quiet but really didn't get too many oportunities in the open and the one he did get there was no one backing him up.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we get the penalties 8-2, 65% of the ball, and the Broncos have a key forward sin binned, I reckon we'll have a chance - but we saw yesterday that those stats always go the other way - against us. Even when the Cowboys continued to infringe the 10 metres, they were allowed to keep all their players.

Imagine if we had the luxury of playing against 12 men late in the second half.
Did not understand how in the second half Cowboys did not get ten in the bin as it was the exact same time frame as ours.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually thought the Cowboys try was from a forward pass. The touch judge was right in line too.
There were a lot of home town decisions made last night in my opinion. And I generarilly don't bag refs. My concern going on the past is when we play at home we still don't get the rub of the green. Go figure it's as if because we are spooners (and it looks like the certain refs have this in mind) we are expected to do everything inferior to the opposition.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They kicked to him all game, so he handled the ball a lot, but didn't doo too much with it. Dufty made a half break from our own end, and passed to JAC, who ran another 30m and lost the ball when he was tackled by Hammer.
Other then that, he challenged a call of dropped ball, and won the challenge, and was super animated, yelling at his team mates, "no rest boys, lets go" or something to that effect. He was fired up, and wanted to lead the boys.
He will make a good leader. The boys are scared that he will laugh them to death. Really he is exactly what our lethargic team needs.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same, but in the wet, holding onto the ball is essential.
We saw how JAC easily lost the ball after a brilliant run, because of the slippery conditions. On a dry track, that could have led to a try.
If anyone someone was backing him up. Our follow up play for the last several years has been more than dissapointing. Oh for Terry Lamb.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck they made a fundamental error, and Dufty was outjumped on a good kick with a good chase it wasn’t like he wilted plenty of fullbacks get out jumped there I thought Dufty was very good at the back
Yes and that pat back was very lucky could have gone anywhere just happens it perfectly went to hammers arms on the run.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn't pretty but 2 points is 2 points. Some positives to come out of the game was the performance of Max King and Hetherington in the back row. Ava was a machine and really led the way up front. The pommy git was also massive in defence. We can build on this.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Exactly bro, we didn’t purchase JAC to be a battering ram and play like Sailor and Tuquiri. He isn’t a big body and would be easy picking for the big guys to smash with the one out hit ups. This is where Cotric was an asset, big powerful ball runner.
I would kindly disagree with you, wingers are suppose to come in have a run and act like a forward and bend the line, yes he is suppose to run hard and make meters.

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m concerned that if we happen to have Burto and Fox play origin, that could potentially cost us a top 8 spot. Not saying it will happen but it id much rather them not get picked but I guess most other teams have the same problem

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m concerned that if we happen to have Burto and Fox play origin, that could potentially cost us a top 8 spot. Not saying it will happen but it id much rather them not get picked but I guess most other teams have the same problem
That's literally the last thing on my mind :tearsofjoy:

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Everyone on here need to be thankful that we got the win. That's all that mattered from last night. Conditions were pretty bad. Once we dropped it a few times our attack had to tighten up and therefore no throwing the ball around. It became a slog. Time will tell if our attack improves, I reckon it will. Dufty is the key. Every time he gets involved it looks dangerous. The outlook is better than recent seasons thats for sure.