Scott Sattler announces Bulldogs' potential signing of Brandon Smith

Lakas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Earlier this week, former Panthers forward Scott Sattler told SEN 1170 that he heard from a “pretty good source” that the 24-year-old had “signed a three-year deal with the Bulldogs as of next year.”

But before the Bulldogs faithful get too excited, coach Trent Barrett denied the deal.

“No, he’s not. I was a bit surprised by that one. We haven’t spoken to Brandon Smith,” Barrett said on Thursday.

No doubt Smith will be picked up quickly. The Wests Tigers, Titans, Warriors and the Broncos have indicated they are interested, while the Bulldogs are continuously linked to the premiership-winning Storm star

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At no point did I say he was ever shit! I said he was a back rower playing as a 9. He is a very very good back rower.
No, he is a hooker through and through, who has been asked to play in the backrow to accommodate the best hooker of all time.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FROM MELBOURNE TO BELMORE?

We know that Storm utility forward Brandon Smith is on the hunt for a new club where he can exclusively play hooker, but could that club be the Bulldogs?

The Storm confirmed late last year that Smith would be given a release from the final year of his contract — 2022 — provided “appropriate arrangements” were put in place.

Earlier this week, former Panthers forward Scott Sattler told SEN 1170 that he heard from a “pretty good source” that the 24-year-old had “signed a three-year deal with the Bulldogs as of next year.”

But before the Bulldogs faithful get too excited, coach Trent Barrett denied the deal.

“No, he’s not. I was a bit surprised by that one. We haven’t spoken to Brandon Smith,” Barrett said on Thursday.

No doubt Smith will be picked up quickly. The Wests Tigers, Titans, Warriors and the Broncos have indicated they are interested, while the Bulldogs are continuously linked to the premiership-winning Storm star.

NRL 2021: Jackson Hastings to the Wests Tigers, Michael Maguire, Anthony Milford contract, Broncos, Brandon Smith to the Bulldogs | Fox Sports

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't pay any attention to any denials in the media by Baz, the club or Smith himself. They're going to play their cards close to their chest, as well they should. That's not to say we'll get Smith or that Sattler is right, but there's no doubt the club would be interested.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It was probably Titans Sattler geeing up Mal to try and hurry him up with a bit of FOMO :grinning:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't pay any attention to any denials in the media by Baz, the club or Smith himself. They're going to play their cards close to their chest, as well they should. That's not to say we'll get Smith or that Sattler is right, but there's no doubt the club would be interested.
Baz has been very upfront and honest about all his signings and targets up until now .. so why wouldn't we take him on face value

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Baz has been very upfront and honest about all his signings and targets up until now .. so why wouldn't we take him on face value
Well he didn't deny that we were interested or would be. He said that we hadn't signed him. Plus, as GDR mentioned, Smith isn't off contract next year so Baz can't talk freely about signing him due to tampering rules. He needs to be released from Melbourne so that is a factor.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well he didn't deny that we were interested or would be. He said that we hadn't signed him. Plus, as GDR mentioned, Smith isn't off contract next year so Baz can't talk freely about signing him due to tampering rules. He needs to be released from Melbourne so that is a factor.
Bro JAC, Burton, Flanagan and Hetherington were all contracted when Baz went after them publicly so how would it be any difference now ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bro JAC, Burton, Flanagan and Hetherington were all contracted when Baz went after them publicly so how would it be any difference now ?
My point is, I'm taking any mail from the media with a grain of salt and just because we haven't confirmed interest, or Smith denies any talks are taking place, doesn't mean we're not going to show interest later on. 95% of these stories are generated by agents just to drive up the market for their client.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Playing against and watching Burton can't have hurt the thought process if we are in the mix.I don't believe either but what i don't get is WHY bother making up complete bullshit, you would have to think we are in the converstaion here's hoping anyway.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FMD #1 I'm confused, Melbourne said that they would release him from his contract for 2022 if there were “appropriate arrangements” which I assume means a player swap that they are OK with. We released RSmith this year, he must have been "appropriate" otherwise why is he playing NRL for them, surely if he was "inappropriate" then they wouldn't have taken him and he wouldn't be playing for them. Do they want 2 "appropriate" players from us? Typical Bellamy, can't he just take his farkin grapple tackle, chicken wing, rolling pin, hip drop, crusher, crocodile rolls, cannon balls, ankle twists and piss off to the retirement home.

FMD #2 since Melbourne have said publicly that they would release him from his contract for 2022 then they can hardly complain if we are talking to him. There are 2 issues at play, when Barrett said "We haven't spoken to Brandon Smith" who does he mean by "We", is that the royal we meaning him, personally? Or the Bulldogs "We"? Which means anyone not a Bulldogs official could talk to him. The other issue at play, it could mean that Barrett hasn't talked to Brandon Smith personally but he has talked to his agent, mother, father, significant other.

Who the fark knows, plainly not Sattler.

Go Dogs

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Blah blah blah. Its all just speculation anyway. I dont believe any signing news until it happens.
Have you heard that the round 20 game against the Titans, is potentially being transferred to Barlow Park, as for some reason the game needs to be moved from BankWest ?