Science Stuff

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
NASA spacecraft ‘touches’ the Sun for the first time ever (nature.com)

The Parker Solar Probe has passed through a boundary and into the Sun’s atmosphere, gathering data that will help scientists better understand stars.

A NASA spacecraft has entered a previously unexplored region of the Solar System — the Sun’s outer atmosphere, or corona. The long-awaited milestone, which was reached in April but announced on 14 December, is a major accomplishment for the Parker Solar Probe, a craft that is flying closer to the Sun than any mission in history.

“We have finally arrived,” said Nicola Fox, director of NASA’s heliophysics division, located at the agency’s headquarters in Washington DC. “Humanity has touched the Sun.”
Why don't the morons just go to the sun at night? :p

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The James Webb telescope goes up on the 20 December, scientists are hoping to see the big bang YEP REALLY!

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First look at Japanese Hayabusa2 asteroid sample indicates Ryugu is similar to Earth's rarest meteorites - ABC News

Just over a year ago, a space capsule carrying a very special cargo streaked across the sky and touched down in the South Australian outback.

Sealed in a canister were samples of dust and pebbles blasted off Ryugu, a lumpy asteroid, by the Japanese Hayabusa2 mission.

When the team from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) first opened the canister they were excited to find they'd snapped up a good sample.

And when they got the canister back to their lab in Japan they were even more surprised.

"There was some feeling among us that we should get one gram of sample from Ryugu," said Masaki Fujimoto, who led the team that retrieved the capsule from the Woomera Rocket Range.

Inside was almost 5 grams of dust and rocks.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phosphine on Venus: Volcanism as an Abiotic Source? | Planetary News (usra.edu)

The surface of Venus is inhospitable to life as we know it, but the planet’s thick clouds have been hypothesized to be a potentially habitable environment for Earth-like lifeforms. While the environment in the clouds of Venus includes a range of temperatures and pressures similar to those on Earth’s surface, any such life would have to contend with acidic conditions and a lack of water. Last year, the possibility of life in the clouds of Venus gained traction with the detection of the molecule phosphine in the venusian atmosphere, which is often associated with biological processes on Earth. It was argued that abiotic mechanisms such as volcanism were insufficient to produce the reported phosphine signature. However, subsequent recalibration and reanalysis of ground- and space-based observations have revised the possible phosphine abundance downward. The question remains: if phosphine is present in the clouds of Venus, is it produced biotically or abiotically?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey @Hacky McAxe you are my go to science guy..can you tell me exactly what this means..

‘The pharmacokinetic data from cohorts one through four show a more favourable profile in humans than in rodents, including a longer half-life (detectable up to 12 hours post-dose) alongside rapid distribution in the blood. These signals are very encouraging since this means it is likely to have an even stronger effect in humans than it had in rodents, all else equal. Given the profound efficacy already seen in rodents, these early signals exceeded our expectations and are very promising for the prospect of bringing it to humans,’

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey @Hacky McAxe you are my go to science guy..can you tell me exactly what this means..

‘The pharmacokinetic data from cohorts one through four show a more favourable profile in humans than in rodents, including a longer half-life (detectable up to 12 hours post-dose) alongside rapid distribution in the blood. These signals are very encouraging since this means it is likely to have an even stronger effect in humans than it had in rodents, all else equal. Given the profound efficacy already seen in rodents, these early signals exceeded our expectations and are very promising for the prospect of bringing it to humans,’
Basically translated:

"in all tests it worked very well in rats, but works even better in humans"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You probably should explain what works means.
Yeah, that's a bit hit and miss and relative to the research. As I only saw a small paragraph, I couldn't say for sure what it means.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bit hit and miss and relative to the research. As I only saw a small paragraph, I couldn't say for sure what it means.
I'd go with that what ever it was distributed fairly evenly through the blood and was slowly metabolised, assuming a longer response rate.

So we're obviously talking a new form of coke :innocent:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NASA’s Webb Telescope Reaches Major Milestone as Mirror Unfolds | NASA

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope team fully deployed its 21-foot, gold-coated primary mirror, successfully completing the final stage of all major spacecraft deployments to prepare for science operations.

A joint effort with the European Space Agency (ESA) and Canadian Space Agency, the Webb mission will explore every phase of cosmic history – from within our solar system to the most distant observable galaxies in the early universe.

“Today, NASA achieved another engineering milestone decades in the making. While the journey is not complete, I join the Webb team in breathing a little easier and imagining the future breakthroughs bound to inspire the world,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “The James Webb Space Telescope is an unprecedented mission that is on the precipice of seeing the light from the first galaxies and discovering the mysteries of our universe. Each feat already achieved and future accomplishment is a testament to the thousands of innovators who poured their life’s passion into this mission.”

Fantastic news, the images we'll get back from this telescope are going to be brilliant.