Science Stuff

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been reading a bit on gravitational waves, word of caution, don't do it stoned. It's not the waves themselves that are mind blowing, it's what occurred to cause them = an event so powerful, it literally shakes the very fabric of our existence.

Try getting your head around this - we measured our first gravitational wave late in 2015 from the merger between two black holes. This collision generated 36 Septillion Yottowatts of power. A septillion is a number with 24 zeros - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/septillion. A Yottowatt is equivalent to 10 to the power of 24 watts of power - http://extraconversion.com/power/yottawatts.

So this merger generated 36,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 watts of power, which was just enough to blow my farking mind!

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Longest recorded lightning bolt could stretch from Sydney to Melbourne - https://www.9news.com.au/world/long...or-709km/ba3b0f93-b399-45d4-a674-9792dd4b2f6d

A lightning flash that stretched from Argentina across Brazil all the way to the Atlantic Ocean is the longest in recorded history.

The 709km lightning bolt would be long enough to stretch from Sydney to Melbourne.

Using new satellite lightning imagery technology, the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) declared the lightning bolt a world record holder.

It was recorded during a storm on October 31, 2018.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Massive Sun disappears - https://www.9news.com.au/national/g...o-vanish/2e09b915-28fa-4859-91f5-ecdf9d37865e

A massive star has quietly disappeared in a dwarf galaxy 75 million light-years away, according to a new study.

Given the lack of a visible supernova, the researchers believe the star grew dim and was obscured from view by dust or reached the end of its life and collapsed into a black hole.

"If true, this would be the first direct detection of such a monster star ending its life in this manner," said Andrew Allan, study author and doctoral student at Trinity College Dublin in Ireland, in a statement.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe the meaning of life is reproduction, thats my opinion anyway.

Still working on what is consciousness.
You pretty much summed up Evolutionary Biology and Evolutionary Psychology in 2 sentences.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was superb!

ps. Computer Lives Matter..!
Lmao

Yeah, the detail was phenomenal. I really liked the explanation as to why we don't get live video feed from Mars ie nothing moves so there's no point. It looks and feels like a desert, but it's - 81 degrees Fahrenheit on average.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lmao

Yeah, the detail was phenomenal. I really liked the explanation as to why we don't get live video feed from Mars ie nothing moves so there's no point. It looks and feels like a desert, but it's - 81 degrees Fahrenheit on average.
It is just an excellent video..really is. Yeah I wondered why no videos, makes sense now. Sheesh it’s freezing but geeze I’d love to go there.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Answer me this

Why is it when ash falls on white clothing, once rubbed off it turns black

when it falls on black clothing, it rubs off white?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answer me this

Why is it when ash falls on white clothing, once rubbed off it turns black

when it falls on black clothing, it rubs off white?
The colour of the ash does not change, it is the contrast to the colour it sits on that makes it appear to change colour.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is a nice example of it. In the image below, squares A and B are the same colour

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...everance-rover-looking-for-past-life/12494310

NASA's latest Mars rover, Perseverance, is scheduled to lift off tomorrow on its seven-month journey to the Red Planet.

If it survives its nail-biting landing in February next year, it will become NASA's 10th spacecraft in 45 years to touch down successfully on Mars.

Perseverance is one of three Mars missions setting off this month and the first rover ever tasked with finding evidence of past life on Mars, said Abigail Allwood, an Australian geologist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory who is in charge of PIXL, one of the seven instruments onboard the rover.

"No mission has ever been given the mandate to look for evidence of life," Dr Allwood said.

Finding that evidence will be challenging, but Perseverance is the most sophisticated rover yet, according to Aileen Yingst of the Planetary Science Institute.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read something about Voyager 1 how it is the fastest manmade object in space and how it had entered interstellar space and at the speed its going would get to Alpha Centauri in a mere 70 something thousand years

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I read something about Voyager 1 how it is the fastest manmade object in space and how it had entered interstellar space and at the speed its going would get to Alpha Centauri in a mere 70 something thousand years
It's the fastest man made object to leave our Solar System travelling at around 61,000 km/h.

There is faster man-made objects though. The fastest is the Parker Solar Probe which was sent towards the sun. It recorded a speed of around 247,000 km/h.

For a comparison though, our earth travels around the sun at a speed of around 108,000 km/h. But our entire solar system travels around the galaxy centre at a speed of around 789,000 km/h.