Science Stuff

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not purely a scientific pair of documentaries, but I watched Gasland and Gasland 2 yesterday. They discuss scientific principles in relation to fracking and how it has impacted our water tables and contributed to gas emissions around the world. It's largely centred around the impacts on humans and the lack of ethics of mining consortiums/their influence on politics.

Both documentaries are available on YouTube and well worth watching.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-28/astronomers-find-universe-missing-matter/12291788

Australian Scientists find the missing matter by studying Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs).

After an intergalactic search lasting more than two decades, an Australian-led team of scientists say they have finally found the universe's "missing matter", solving a mystery that has long stumped astronomers.

Since the mid-90s, scientists have been trying to locate half of the universe's ordinary matter. They believed it was out there because of clues left over from the Big Bang, but it had never been seen.

"What we're talking about here is what scientists call baryonic matter, which is the normal stuff that you and I are made of," said Associate Professor Jean-Pierre Macquart, from the Curtin University node of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research.

Astronomy is full of missing stuff. Most of the universe is understood to be "dark matter" and "dark energy", which nobody has ever directly seen. But even more of a mystery for astronomers was that they couldn't find about half the ordinary matter in the universe.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...p/news-story/5a433c9ff99fdcb6cd50743dbdbb4966

US space agency NASA has said the sun’s solar cycle could be “waking up” after the biggest solar flare recorded in almost three years.

NASA spacecraft spotted the new family of sunspots appearing on the face of the sun.

The dark spots are really magnetic fields created by the sun’s gas, and these magnetic fields go through a cycle roughly 11 years in length.

At the end of this cycle, the sun’s magnetic fields flip and the cycle starts all over again.

Eruptions increase during the cycle with solar flares like the recent one detected by NASA, as well as “coronal mass ejections”, where the sun shoots out plasma, becoming more frequent.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/technology...y-source/73d02a89-528c-4daf-a70b-6543c1b9cb4b

For the second time ever, astronomers have detected a pattern in a mysterious fast radio burst coming from space.

Fast radio bursts, or FRBs, are millisecond-long bursts of radio waves in space, and astronomers have been able to trace some radio bursts back to their home galaxies.

They have yet to determine the actual cause of the bursts.

Individual radio bursts emit once and don't repeat. But repeating fast radio bursts are known to send out short, energetic radio waves multiple times.

Previous observations showed that usually when they repeat, it's sporadic or in a cluster.

That all changed earlier this year when astronomers found that FRB 180916.J0158+65 had a pattern in bursts occurring every 16.35 days. Over the course of four days, the signal would release a burst or two each hour. Then, it would go silent for another 12 days.

Now, they have detected a pattern in a second repeating fast radio burst, known as FRB 121102. During this cyclical pattern, radio bursts are emitted during a 90-day window, followed by a silent period of 67 days. This pattern repeats every 157 days.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went to Rome I visited catacombs and old temples etc that had been built upon over the years.

I was told this by the historian leading the tour, which surprised me as I had never heard it.

Although most Christians celebrate December 25 as the birthday of Jesus Christ, no one in the first two Christian centuries claimed any knowledge of the exact day or year in which he was born–most were more interested in the story of his death. However, early in the 4th century, church leaders designated December 25, the birthday of the popular pagan god Mithras, as Jesus’ official birth date. The celebration of the birth of Christ also took over the pagan winter solstice holiday that also fell in late December. From thereon, December 25 was to be observed by Christians at a holy Mass, or “Christ’s Mass.” Today, one-third of the world’s population celebrates the birth of Jesus on this day.

Any thoughts about this, personally I found it ironic to actually be a Pagan Gods birthdate chosen as Jesus Christs birthday.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When I went to Rome I visited catacombs and old temples etc that had been built upon over the years.

I was told this by the historian leading the tour, which surprised me as I had never heard it.

Although most Christians celebrate December 25 as the birthday of Jesus Christ, no one in the first two Christian centuries claimed any knowledge of the exact day or year in which he was born–most were more interested in the story of his death. However, early in the 4th century, church leaders designated December 25, the birthday of the popular pagan god Mithras, as Jesus’ official birth date. The celebration of the birth of Christ also took over the pagan winter solstice holiday that also fell in late December. From thereon, December 25 was to be observed by Christians at a holy Mass, or “Christ’s Mass.” Today, one-third of the world’s population celebrates the birth of Jesus on this day.

Any thoughts about this, personally I found it ironic to actually be a Pagan Gods birthdate chosen as Jesus Christs birthday.
Yeah, it's actually a big part of the history of Christianity and I've always found it very interesting. No one knows when Jesus was born so the church adopted December 25 to gain favour with the pagans. It's not the only time they've done that.

The Church was smart when indoctrinating people. Take an aspect the people hold dear and weave it into your own religion. Winning over the hearts and minds of people.

The origin of Easter for example was from the Sumerian/Mesopotamian/Babylonian and their worship of Ishtar the Godess of rebirth. The church incorporated those factors into the early celebrations of Easter which is why we have things like the Easter Bunny and eggs (symbols of Ishtar)

Some historians even say that the resurrection of Jesus was based on the resurrection myths of the Sumerian, Greek, Roman and Egyptian Gods. But that all depends on your religious belief.

As a side interesting note, all religions throughout the world have similar structures including a God or Gods that created the world, all have a story of a God dying and being resurrected, all have a stage where a God or Gods live among humans, all have an after life, all have sin and consequence, all have similar lineage, all have a story of sacrifice. Mainly differentiating in the amount of Gods with Christianity and Hinduism having one God (in several forms), while others have many Gods.

This makes sense as many religions arose from the same region. Mesopotamia has the earliest recorded religion and other religions including Judaism, Greek, Roman, and even Christianity have developed in the same region. But other religions like Hinduism, the religion of the meso-Americans, the Norse religions, all developed independently with no connection to the Greek/Middle East are, but all follow a similar structure.

That makes you wonder if there's a large part of history that we're missing.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...d/news-story/ea5c6434c3c318c90b023e7f8b01d20c

Interactive maps described as a “scientific benchmark” have revealed the vast continent beneath New Zealand as it’s never been seen before.

While scientists have known about it for decades, it’s only been in recent years that “Zealandia” has been publicly recognised as the planet’s youngest, smallest, thinnest and most submerged continent.

At one relatively brief point in the Earth’s history, its sprawling mass once stood above the waves, dispersing animals and plants from here to New Caledonia and the east of Australia, reports the New Zealand Herald.

Most groups of dinosaurs, including the towering titanosaurs, roamed its rolling, mountainless, low-lying landscape.

Today, 94 per cent of Zealandia lies underwater – if we drained the oceans, we could see it unfurling some 4.9 million sqkm across the South Pacific.

But new maps just released by the country’s geological research institute GNS science, along with a new interactive website called E Tūhura – Explore Zealandia, allow us to see in much closer detail.

The maps cover both bathymetry – or the shape of the ocean floor – along with the continent‘s tectonic origins.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...d/news-story/ea5c6434c3c318c90b023e7f8b01d20c

Interactive maps described as a “scientific benchmark” have revealed the vast continent beneath New Zealand as it’s never been seen before.

While scientists have known about it for decades, it’s only been in recent years that “Zealandia” has been publicly recognised as the planet’s youngest, smallest, thinnest and most submerged continent.

At one relatively brief point in the Earth’s history, its sprawling mass once stood above the waves, dispersing animals and plants from here to New Caledonia and the east of Australia, reports the New Zealand Herald.

Most groups of dinosaurs, including the towering titanosaurs, roamed its rolling, mountainless, low-lying landscape.

Today, 94 per cent of Zealandia lies underwater – if we drained the oceans, we could see it unfurling some 4.9 million sqkm across the South Pacific.

But new maps just released by the country’s geological research institute GNS science, along with a new interactive website called E Tūhura – Explore Zealandia, allow us to see in much closer detail.

The maps cover both bathymetry – or the shape of the ocean floor – along with the continent‘s tectonic origins.

Would be interesting to see on a world level.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Well I for one don't really care about dates my bro. I just focus on the real important things and life lessons.

PS us Assyrians haven't got a name for Christmas and Easter, we just call Christmas "The small celebration" and Easter "The big celebration".

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I'd love to see a thawed out Antarctica, who knows what's under that ice.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, it's actually a big part of the history of Christianity and I've always found it very interesting. No one knows when Jesus was born so the church adopted December 25 to gain favour with the pagans. It's not the only time they've done that.

The Church was smart when indoctrinating people. Take an aspect the people hold dear and weave it into your own religion. Winning over the hearts and minds of people.

The origin of Easter for example was from the Sumerian/Mesopotamian/Babylonian and their worship of Ishtar the Godess of rebirth. The church incorporated those factors into the early celebrations of Easter which is why we have things like the Easter Bunny and eggs (symbols of Ishtar)

Some historians even say that the resurrection of Jesus was based on the resurrection myths of the Sumerian, Greek, Roman and Egyptian Gods. But that all depends on your religious belief.

As a side interesting note, all religions throughout the world have similar structures including a God or Gods that created the world, all have a story of a God dying and being resurrected, all have a stage where a God or Gods live among humans, all have an after life, all have sin and consequence, all have similar lineage, all have a story of sacrifice. Mainly differentiating in the amount of Gods with Christianity and Hinduism having one God (in several forms), while others have many Gods.

This makes sense as many religions arose from the same region. Mesopotamia has the earliest recorded religion and other religions including Judaism, Greek, Roman, and even Christianity have developed in the same region. But other religions like Hinduism, the religion of the meso-Americans, the Norse religions, all developed independently with no connection to the Greek/Middle East are, but all follow a similar structure.

That makes you wonder if there's a large part of history that we're missing.
I reckon they all give and take between themselves

OR

Even more exciting would be they were all describing the same thing but recorded "in their words".

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/world/grav...ce-space/2627f76b-c41c-48f4-814a-7d3f4a3d4646

A mysterious astronomical object has merged with a black hole 780 million light-years away and created gravitational waves that could be detected on Earth.

The object exists inside what scientists call the "mass gap," a range between the heaviest known neutron star and the lightest known black hole - it could change how astronomers understand black holes.

In August 2019, astronomers using gravitational wave detectors in the US and Italy detected ripples in space and time, a gravitational wave event they dubbed GW190814.

Given the fact that this occurred so far from Earth, the event occurred 780 million light-years away, but the gravitational waves are just now reaching us.

The merger occurred between an object that was 2.6 times the mass of our sun with a black hole that was 23 times the mass of our sun.

This large difference in the sizes of both objects, differing by a factor of nine, makes it the most extreme mass ratio for a gravitational wave event known to date.

The merger led to a black hole about 25 times the mass of the sun and some of the mass was blasted out as gravitational waves.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to see a thawed out Antarctica, who knows what's under that ice.
According to China it will be old Chinese relics, hence the reason they're planning on claiming it.

Got nothing to do with oil and gas reserves

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
According to China it will be old Chinese relics, hence the reason they're planning on claiming it.

Got nothing to do with oil and gas reserves
Russia and Murika are trying to claim it too so there must be oil/gas underground I'm guessing.