Science Stuff

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/national/n...y-active/5440065c-9f21-4381-83ac-11a0adedaac5

A NASA mission on Mars has recorded evidence of seismic activity, including 174 seismic events across Mars--and 20 events with a magnitude of three or four.

Evidence of seismic activity on Mars that surprised the NASA team is part of a suite of six studies, published Monday in the journals Nature Geoscience and Nature Communications, capturing those first 10 months.

Since landing on Mars in November 2018, NASA's InSight lander has been performing an extensive doctor's checkup on the red planet, revealing some results that surprised InSight's science team.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Reality warning!

Please donate your body to Science.
That actually turns me off donating my body to science. I'll be an organ donor and if my body was going to be used to contribute to meaningful research that might help others I might be more inclined. But that seems like a horrific way to treat someone's remains, even if it is moderately useful for forensic science.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That actually turns me off donating my body to science. I'll be an organ donor and if my body was going to be used to contribute to meaningful research that might help others I might be more inclined. But that seems like a horrific way to treat someone's remains, even if it is moderately useful for forensic science.
Indeed, and for myself I will go up in flames an ash than be buried in the dirt to be eaten by all sorts of bugs etc. stuff laying down there for years rotting just to have bones remain.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the best donated to science story I've read about - http://thescienceexplorer.com/brain-and-body/dead-body-sliced-5000-times-create-virtual-human

Scientists created the most detailed reconstruction of the human body ever made by using ultrathin slices of cadavers.
Trigger warning: if you just ate, we don’t recommend reading any further.

Thousands of people donate their bodies to science each year, and most are used for anatomic studies at medical schools. However, a man and woman who donated their bodies to science decades ago probably never imagined how their bodies would end up being used. The project, which sounds like it came straight out of a sci-fi horror film, entailed carving each of their bodies into thousands of thin slices.

The Visible Human Project took on the task of creating the world’s most detailed digital body by documenting a comprehensive collection of cross-sectional images. The male’s frozen cadaver was dissected into 1-mm-thick slices, and the woman’s even thinner — just one-third of a millimeter. With these detailed images, the scientists created a 3D “human phantom” that will help accomplish VHP’s goal of transforming medical education.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are the options you have in donating your body in Sydney.

I'm also donating my brain to a brain bank for Parkinsons research in the hope that it will contribute one day to a cure for future sufferers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is the best donated to science story I've read about - http://thescienceexplorer.com/brain-and-body/dead-body-sliced-5000-times-create-virtual-human

Scientists created the most detailed reconstruction of the human body ever made by using ultrathin slices of cadavers.
Trigger warning: if you just ate, we don’t recommend reading any further.

Thousands of people donate their bodies to science each year, and most are used for anatomic studies at medical schools. However, a man and woman who donated their bodies to science decades ago probably never imagined how their bodies would end up being used. The project, which sounds like it came straight out of a sci-fi horror film, entailed carving each of their bodies into thousands of thin slices.

The Visible Human Project took on the task of creating the world’s most detailed digital body by documenting a comprehensive collection of cross-sectional images. The male’s frozen cadaver was dissected into 1-mm-thick slices, and the woman’s even thinner — just one-third of a millimeter. With these detailed images, the scientists created a 3D “human phantom” that will help accomplish VHP’s goal of transforming medical education.
I heard about this one a few years back. I think this would still be preferable to getting left to rot in the open.

These are the options you have in donating your body in Sydney.

I'm also donating my brain to a brain bank for Parkinsons research in the hope that it will contribute one day to a cure for future sufferers.

As in my above post, this is preferable to being left out to see how the insects and weather affect decomposition. Donations that might contribute to curing disease or syndromes are a good thing. But the video with cadavers exposed seems a bit excessive. It mentioned 55 bodies currently at various levels of decomposition when the video was made. You would think that 10 or so would paint a pretty clear picture.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard about this one a few years back. I think this would still be preferable to getting left to rot in the open.

As in my above post, this is preferable to being left out to see how the insects and weather affect decomposition. Donations that might contribute to curing disease or syndromes are a good thing. But the video with cadavers exposed seems a bit excessive. It mentioned 55 bodies currently at various levels of decomposition when the video was made. You would think that 10 or so would paint a pretty clear picture.
University of Technology Sydney body donation program: Australia's forensic taphonomy facility

The Australian Facility for Taphonomic Experimental Research (AFTER) is a unique body donation facility dedicated to the study of forensic taphonomy in Australia. Forensic taphonomy is the study of human remains from the time of death to the time of discovery.

Same thing happens if your buried plus if it can help catch a killer or prove innocence etc.

Anyway each to their own, just informing there are other options then burial/cremation plus you can save your family an average of $25,000 for a burial.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/world/scie...nce-news/de2283d8-b7d0-4efa-98c6-cb5faa5e4db1

Researchers just discovered a unique organism that doesn't need to breathe, making it the first animal that doesn't need oxygen to live.

Instead, the tiny parasite lives in salmon tissue and evolved so that it doesn't need oxygen to produce energy.

It's a brilliant simplification that proves, sometimes, less is more, said Stephen Atkinson, senior research associate at Oregon State University's Department of Microbiology.

Dr Ian Malcolm - "life finds a way"

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We are about 6-7 years away from growing organs in a lab with our own DNA. Successfully trialed on pigs, dolphins and cows.

That will stop all rejection as it won't be a foreign body and the immune system won't attack the organ.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...d/news-story/9916f4e685a1a5333c6f964ca4f3d637

Astronomers have discovered a supermassive black hole 390 million light-years away that produced the biggest explosion the universe has ever seen.

The black hole responsible for the blast came from a cluster of galaxies and forged a crater that could hold 15 Milky Way galaxies.

The findings are contained in a new paper published in the Astrophysical Journal on Thursday.

Lead author and US Naval Research Laboratory astrophysicist Simona Giacintucci said the explosion carved the crater out of hot gas in Ophiuchus cluster of thousands of galaxies.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/54a38902fbdc070f9b45fe8aeba3efae

Scientists think they’ve discovered an extraterrestrial protein inside a meteorite that plummeted to Earth three decades ago.

They hope the discovery could provide clues about life emerging elsewhere in our solar system.

If the results of the study can be replicated again then this will be the first protein discovery that has an out-of-Earth origin.

The researchers wrote in their study: “This paper characterises the first protein to be discovered in a meteorite.”

Meteorites that have fallen to our planet in recent years have contained building blocks for life such as cyanide and ribose, which can both help to build proteins in cells.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...n/news-story/b74a4e2852bc9fe4d1c6e3396be6d1bf

Scientists who discovered a new marine animal, in one of the deepest places on earth, were so concerned at finding plastic in its stomach they named it Eurythenes plasticus.

They chose this name to highlight that plastic pollution is now so prevalent that even a new species of amphipod living nearly 7km below sea level has ingested plastic.

A team from England’s Newcastle University, led by Dr Alan Jamieson, found the shrimp-like crustacean in the Pacific Ocean’s Mariana Trench between Japan and the Philippines and below the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Their research – which names the species – was supported by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and published today in the renowned scientific journal Zootaxa.

Dr Jamieson said they called the amphipod Eurythenes plasticus “because sadly that’s one of the most conspicuous things we found on the species, and I think we need to get that down in the taxonomic record”.

Agent Smith : I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...n/news-story/b74a4e2852bc9fe4d1c6e3396be6d1bf

Scientists who discovered a new marine animal, in one of the deepest places on earth, were so concerned at finding plastic in its stomach they named it Eurythenes plasticus.

They chose this name to highlight that plastic pollution is now so prevalent that even a new species of amphipod living nearly 7km below sea level has ingested plastic.

A team from England’s Newcastle University, led by Dr Alan Jamieson, found the shrimp-like crustacean in the Pacific Ocean’s Mariana Trench between Japan and the Philippines and below the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Their research – which names the species – was supported by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and published today in the renowned scientific journal Zootaxa.

Dr Jamieson said they called the amphipod Eurythenes plasticus “because sadly that’s one of the most conspicuous things we found on the species, and I think we need to get that down in the taxonomic record”.

Agent Smith : I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.
Humans are a fucking cancer. Fucking vermin. The most selfish, destructive animal on earth. I respect animals more than humans (except innocent humans)

Actually calling them sheep is an insult to sheep. Sheep haven't got the capacity to be evil.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Humans are a fucking cancer. Fucking vermin. The most selfish, destructive animal on earth. I respect animals more than humans (except innocent humans)

Actually calling them sheep is an insult to sheep. Sheep haven't got the capacity to be evil.
My son and I were having a similar conversation the other day while viewing the two fat chicks fighting over toot paper and we can to the realisation that Thanos was right, if left unchecked life will eventually destroy itself.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The history of Australias own Dingo.

Was up at Fraser Island last year and only saw one Dingo alone on the beach, it was exciting as the bus dove along with it for about a KM.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
With the ever increasing amount of dumb fucks, does anyone still believe in evolution? Lol

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the ever increasing amount of dumb fucks, does anyone still believe in evolution? Lol
Maybe we made it as far as we can go and now we are going backwards. Some people make me feel that way anyhow lol.