News Schoolboy skills: Rugby guru teaching Bulldogs to pass again

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the part where it says he’s teaching all the senior AND junior players in our system his passing drills.

I don’t think you can overestimate the importance of us reinvesting in our junior base again...

Subtle changes but ones that can have such a strong impact long-term.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the first choice fullback remark? Where did that info come from because that’s the most positive thing I read in the article.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the part where it says he’s teaching all the senior AND junior players in our system his passing drills.

I don’t think you can overestimate the importance of us reinvesting in our junior base again...

Subtle changes but ones that can have such a strong impact long-term.
The work they are doing with the juniors and junior league is phenomenal. They have started a whole academy with Dean Pay and fellow senior coaching staff taking a session with 200 juniors each week for the whole season. The junior league numbers are skyrocketing. It can only mean good things down the road.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just like to mention, whilst injured Nu Brown was working (at his home) on his passing. That's to be commended.

Hopefully we'll be firing rockets, making them stick, and not knocking the ball on, etc. I just hope we dont throw too many intercept balls.

If we can play the sort of plays that put Reimis into space from Hoppa towards the end of the year, I'll be a happy camper.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I have to say, our passing for the last few years has been nothing short of painful to watch. Passing behind the players and forward was so routine and frustrating! Great and consistent, crisp flat and fast passing (and bloody catching) is a momentum creator. Our offensive speed is going to go to the level it needs to for us to compete and be a part of the business end of the season. I always wondered why we passed so shit and how a coach could just see it happening over and over and never mention the issue or address it!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I lost count how many times I posted in the last few seasons asking the question, "Do we even train?" and our boys "can't even pass". I am stoked to read that we have trained on it all pre-season, we certainly needed it! It does confuse me that players get to this level without knowing how to pass properly though. Training from juniors on up must have changed in the last decade or two if it's still not practised and hammered into you. I remember doing laps for bad passes at training. I do guess there's an element of, "I've made it to the big league now, no need to practice kids stuff"..........wrong! We will be way better for the practice and look forward to seeing the difference.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Roger Federer, arguably the tennis GOAT, still has a coach to improve his game. In fact he has a new coach every few years just so he can learn new things from them. It’s one of the things that amazes me with NRL players, there is always room for improvement and they should take every opportunity to improve their game in every aspect.

Go Dogs
Djokovic is the GOAT.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Lichaa still can’t pass off the ground he should never be picked again.

Clean catch-pass on the edges is so important. Morris to Morris against Saints end of last season a good example.