News School teacher Bradley Deitz lands in his toughest class with Canterbury Bulldogs debut

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Three weeks ago, Bradley Deitz was working as a teacher at an all-girls school in Kensington.
On Friday night, the little-known Bulldogs hooker will be aiming to school the Newcastle Knights.

Deitz’s decision to resign from the classroom of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College, where he began the year as a PE coordinator and maths teacher, has produced the ultimate lesson in character and persistence.
Canterbury Bulldogs rookie and former school teacher Bradley Dietz will make a shock NRL debut on Round 1 this weekend. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Canterbury Bulldogs rookie and former school teacher Bradley Dietz will make a shock NRL debut on Round 1 this weekend. Picture: Jonathan Ng

On his 26th birthday, the former Sharks, South Sydney and Roosters lower grade player, was chosen on Tuesday by Dogs coach Trent Barrett to make his NRL debut against the Knights.

“There were some times where I thought, I’m getting a little bit older now, but I never lost the love for playing footy,’’ Deitz said.

“I was focusing on my teaching the last four years and doing footy for fun on the side.

“I just tried to make the most of it.”

Deitz was named in jumper number 14 to face the Knights by Barrett, who only met the creative dummy-half at the club‘s final training session before Christmas — an opposed session against feeder-club Mounties.

“I was planning to teach and play for (NSW Canterbury Cup club) Mounties this season,” Deitz said.

Brad Deitz has come from nowhere to land a prominent role at the Bulldogs.

Brad Deitz has come from nowhere to land a prominent role at the Bulldogs.

“But after that one session before Christmas, Baz (Barrett) invited me to come back to their opposed training days in January, while I was on school holidays.

“I did a couple of those and then he said we want to keep you around.

“I had to give four weeks notice to the school principal for my resignation — so I continued to teach up until three weeks ago.

“It’s an all-girls school and they love their footy.

“They’re all big Souths and Roosters fans, being from Kensington.

Deitz playing for the North Sydney Bears back in 2016.

Deitz playing for the North Sydney Bears back in 2016.

“Had this game been in Sydney (and not Newcastle) I would expect some of them to go to the game.

“I reckon they’d be calling out, ”Go Mr Deitz, Go Mr Deitz.”

Deitz is everything rugby league should celebrate. The epitome of a player who understands that NRL careers are short-lived and that a focus outside the game is pivotal.

While competing in the under-20‘s and lower grades, he completed a bachelor of exercise and health science degree, a masters of teaching and a certificate in mathematics.

This was to be his fourth year as a teacher before Barrett stepped in.

Bradley Dietz has been working as a school teacher at Our Lady of Sacred Heart, Kensington. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Bradley Dietz has been working as a school teacher at Our Lady of Sacred Heart, Kensington. Picture: Jonathan Ng

When the moment comes to run onto the field against Newcastle, Deitz will consider the journey he‘s taken to be here.

As the Rabbitohs reserve grade dummy-half in 2017, Deitz travelled to Auckland as a member of the South Sydney Nines squad.

“I was playing well and Madge (former Souths coach Michael Maguire) was happy with me, but when Damien Cook is having his breakout season and Robbie Farah is the back-up hooker, it was going to be pretty hard for me to get a chance there,” Deitz said.

“I then signed with North Sydney, who were the feeder club to the Roosters and I was then stuck behind Jake Friend and Sam Verrills.

“Ever since, I’ve just been trying to give it my best and make the most of it.

Deitz has moulded his game on Damien Cook.

Deitz has moulded his game on Damien Cook.

“I’ve always backed my speed and my footy smarts of when to run and when to recognise in the ruck what’s needed from me.

“My strength is my running game.

“I paid a lot of attention to the way Damien Cook played and maybe I’ve taken some of that.’’

A superb try-scoring trial match performance two weeks ago against Cronulla was enough for Barrett to deliver the first major call of his coaching career at Canterbury.

“It’s unexpected, but I’ll relish it,’’ Deitz said.

“Mum and dad always taught me that working hard at school, having a good job, was the priority and that footy was a bonus.

“I must say, it’s a pretty good birthday present as well.’’

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He seems like he could’ve been one of those players consistently stuck behind established and great hookers, probably why this club is the only one to be able to give him a real shot. Let’s hope he can play above expectation and really go well!

FatDogSlim

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Congratulations Bradley, go make us proud on Friday !

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whether Deitz kicks on in FG or not, he's already accomplished a lot by finally getting to the NRL at 26. It's a great example of perseverance and I'm sure he's inspired a lot of his students as well as other reserve graders who think they might never get their chance.

He has a great opportunity ahead of him with the starting job up for grabs if he plays well early on. Credit to Baz for giving him a chance and congrats to Deitz on your debut.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping for a fairy tale coming true for Deitz. Could be become a club legend but I am getting way ahead of myself. Just play a good game Deitzy
I agree. I think he could turn out to be one of the finds of the season. It's not just his running game. He has really quick excellent passes out of dummy half - unlike our other 2 options.

People ask if he's any good why hasn't he made it before now. Sometimes it's just about opportunity. I remember when Des / Pay were coach and we couldn't score a point and we had a livewire twice ISP 5/8 of the year and we even won the state and national ISP comp but no he (Josh Cleeland) couldn't get a run in firsts.

If Wayne Bennett hadn't decided to remain in camp with the QLD State of Origin side a few years ago then Bellamy wouldn't have got a shot coaching the "baby Broncos" and one of the best coaches ever may never have coached first grade.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to him. He is the epitome of what it’s like to be a Bulldog, never give up and scratch and claw your way to victory. He could be our talisman for this season and I can’t wait for him to reproduce what we saw in the trial.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Great opportunity for him.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure he played Australian schoolboys and while it doesn’t mean much now there was a time where he was obviously highly thought of. Who knows he could be a bit of luck after losing another late bloomer in Damien cook. Good luck to him!