Ch 9 News (inc DannyW) SBW

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How are the roosters cheating the cap?

they are down Cronk and picked up Flanagan cheap so they would be under for sure and they were Uber last year too.

besides Ted and Crichton who's on big money?
They have you fooled son it's an illusion. They were over the cap when they signed Cronk, enough time passes and then when he goes Roosters claim they are under.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the uncontested upgrades to JWH and Manu... with neither player even going to open market.

Funny how many players the roosters sign or retain without engaging in highly publicized bidding wars... latrell the only exception

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't forget the uncontested upgrades to JWH and Manu... with neither player even going to open market.

Funny how many players the roosters sign or retain without engaging in highly publicized bidding wars... latrell the only exception
This I agree and it's the only thing that makes me think twice but is this just goood management?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see huge differences between the Roosters now and the Bulldogs ever. At our best we had a knack for finding undervalued talent stuck behind established stars. The roosters tend to recruit players in the year they make their rep debuts or after they're established as stars. This has been the case for as long as I remember. Doesn't matter how much quality is in the roster already, they find space.

When we were caught cheating the cap it was to retain the team we'd established by picking the eyes out of the reserve grade. The only "next big thing" signing I can recall is Willie Tonga and he'd only played three or four games. Our one period of trying to sign established talent led us to our current situation of having to shed most of our talent and rebuild. And even now it irks me a little to be in this situation of being desperate to sign a few established stars. I just don't see the cap being well policed around a few powerhouse teams. If we get back among the top tier of rosters I'll accept it when we have to let players go to remain cap compliant.
I'm not going to get into who we have recruited versus who we have developed versus who we have let go as it's been done to death and will convince no one. I will say that over the last decade our development, recruitment and retention has been second to none and there is no more better demonstration of that than when we pulled our offer to Latrell Mitchell. Would your club have had the balls to allow a talent like Mitchell to walk away?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into who we have recruited versus who we have developed versus who we have let go as it's been done to death and will convince no one. I will say that over the last decade our development, recruitment and retention has been second to none and there is no more better demonstration of that than when we pulled our offer to Latrell Mitchell. Would your club have had the balls to allow a talent like Mitchell to walk away?
No offence intended, but you seem delusional if you don't even have a sneaky doubt that the Roosters might be cheating the salary cap.

To many it seems like someone in a push bike race trying to ride a motorbike with a card pegged to the spokes. The fans don't want to see the engine so they'll convince themselves that the engine noises are coming from the card on the spokes.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offence intended, but you seem delusional if you don't even have a sneaky doubt that the Roosters might be cheating the salary cap.

To many it seems like someone in a push bike race trying to ride a motorbike with a card pegged to the spokes. The fans don't want to see the engine so they'll convince themselves that the engine noises are coming from the card on the spokes.
Again with the irony, you say I'm delusional yet I'm not the one believing something without proof.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used to think the same mate, but I think they bend the rules but don't break them. If you sift through their roster, many of their players are bought younger, or just before they break out. Just incredible roster management imo. If they are cheating the cap as bad as its made out to be, Cotric would be a Rooster next year, not a Bulldog.

PS. Fucking hate the Roosters

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Roosters will get him for peanuts and win their 3rd comp in a row and the next day an article will be released saying "how do they do it! Roosters win 3rd straight title while being 100k under the cap".
I have no idea how the roosters are under the cap? Surely signing JMos would have put them over. I have feeling in 2 or 3 years this will be another Melbourne situation where they will say yeah we were over the cap, sorry and they will put more asterixs next to the premierships but it will be too late. Every other side in the league blows up their team after winning the premiership because all the players become too valuable, why not the roosters?

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate the Roosters or not the current NRL rules allow arms length third party sponsorship. Politis has long arms (and deep pockets) and a long list of associates prepared to come to the party.

There is no cap on these types of payments to players (and coaching staff) so they would be legally under the ‘cap’.

Also these payments are different to registered third party arrangements so they are secret Roosters business ie no ones business!!!!

Last edited:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In summary when the press talk about the Roosters superior cap management they are completely full of shit.

Doesn't change the fact they are a very well run club with a nicely balanced Roster

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Only thing of new interest was that Mundine paid $BW the $750k he needed to pay out his contract.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again with the irony, you say I'm delusional yet I'm not the one believing something without proof.
Uncle Nick hefner has your team and fan base celebrating on the penthouse.
Why you wanna crash our miserable party in the basement.
Just enjoy the moment mate.
Believe what you wanna believe. And be happy.
I know if the dogs where back to back premiers, last place I would be is in the forums of the team coming last.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Uncle Nick hefner has your team and fan base celebrating on the penthouse.
Why you wanna crash our miserable party in the basement.
That’s because it’s only him and nick in the penthouse !!

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares about this overpaid gun for hire? Chooks can have him and pay him $100k ha ha

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the fn Roosters. Sure they are a well run club, but it is the arrogance and no shame with the way the bend the rules and get away with it. Let them have $BW, who really cares??

The NRL is a joke, if any super League players are returning they should all go to the Warriors to help give them some depth. But I forgot Uncle Nick runs the game.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So the NRL have now made an exception so SBW can play for the Roosters.....as it stood no player can have two contracts registered in the one season....I don't seem to remember this being mentioned days ago just the travel exemption. Six days ago the drums started beating with people in the media and ex players saying an exemption should be granted to allow him to return to the Bulldogs....but we knew that it was never going to happen but we did know that the Roosters would be the beneficiary....

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Methinks there may have been another reason than money.......They had to make it look good and be seen to actually miss out on signing a player at their worth....we don't pay overs just unders