Ch 9 News (inc DannyW) SBW Reportedly Accepts Offer

Banned
Reaction score
If the league takes off in the USA, a global body would be required to administer a fair cap system across all competitions to ensure competition across all leagues.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The ESL has a salary cap of 2.1m pounds, aren't the wolfpack part of that league now?

Last edited:

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$bw his entire career. Mercenary for hire versus a clubman

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the league takes off in the USA, a global body would be required to administer a fair cap system across all competitions to ensure competition across all leagues.
#scrapthecap

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Going off the general consensus, the current heads of the game can't administer the NRL cap fairly. In basketball, if an Australian player is good enough they get recruited to the NBA. In soccer it's also common for the best players we produce to go overseas to greener pastures. At present Australia and New Zealand tend to develop the best talent in rugby league. If they're good enough they're often scalped to play union. If the US adopted the game and decided to take it close to a national competition over there they'd want to invest in quality players. Even if they started a team in half their states and scalped two quality players for each team it would be a huge drain on our talent pool. I dare say that coaching staff would also be making an exodus.

Banned
Reaction score
Going off the general consensus, the current heads of the game can't administer the NRL cap fairly. In basketball, if an Australian player is good enough they get recruited to the NBA. In soccer it's also common for the best players we produce to go overseas to greener pastures. At present Australia and New Zealand tend to develop the best talent in rugby league. If they're good enough they're often scalped to play union. If the US adopted the game and decided to take it close to a national competition over there they'd want to invest in quality players. Even if they started a team in half their states and scalped two quality players for each team it would be a huge drain on our talent pool. I dare say that coaching staff would also be making an exodus.
Is what I fear.
Our competition becoming an also ran.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is what I fear.
Our competition becoming an also ran.
Given the population size over there, I think that in 10-15 years their reliance on foreign talent would diminish. I think it would take a long time to get junior support and player development going in a country where gridiron is almost a religion to the bulk of the country in terms of contact sports. But in that amount of time it could have a pretty detrimental impact on support for the game in its traditional breeding ground. I wouldn't want to see our game become a lower division training pool.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ESL has a salary cap of 2.1m pounds, aren't the wolfpack part of that league now?
They can play a marquee player as much as they want and only around $300k goes onto the cap. Not sure the number of marquees they can have though

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
all that money to play football... makes me sick.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
10mil over 2 years is ludicrous money. Does not make sense to me.

I can honestly say that if players in the NRL were earning that kind of money, I would not be following the sport... it's just insane