Samoa vs Tonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the Samoan team is being named and if the game is being shown on Foxtel?

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the Samoan team is being named and if the game is being shown on Foxtel?
Yep will be shown on foxtel but seeing it live will be even better! Adult tix only $15.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Yep will be shown on foxtel but seeing it live will be even better! Adult tix only $15.
Agree... went to the 2008 WC game at Penrith and despite only being 12k there, the atmosphere was epic!

Snap

Waterboy
Reaction score
Went to Wiki to see if Sam Moa is Samoan.

Left disappointed.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bit disappointed they're playing the U20s Origin on the same day.

Last year, they did the U20s Origin out at Penrith as a stand alone event and did free admission for all ticketed members of any NRL club. I went along and it was a really decent game. I remember some Queensland winger I'd never heard of standing out that night... turned out to be Edrick Lee, who's looking really solid for Canberra's first grade outfit this year.

I'm a very cheap man, and short on spare time right now. I'd have gone along to the U20s Origin if it were like last year, but I'm far less likely to pay $15 for a double header, sadly.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the fraction of Tongan that Michael Oldfield is?

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Big Marty Taupau for Samoa! Go big fella

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Bit disappointed they're playing the U20s Origin on the same day.

Last year, they did the U20s Origin out at Penrith as a stand alone event and did free admission for all ticketed members of any NRL club. I went along and it was a really decent game. I remember some Queensland winger I'd never heard of standing out that night... turned out to be Edrick Lee, who's looking really solid for Canberra's first grade outfit this year.

I'm a very cheap man, and short on spare time right now. I'd have gone along to the U20s Origin if it were like last year, but I'm far less likely to pay $15 for a double header, sadly.
There will actually be 4 games played that day. Two NSW CUP games, 20s Origin then Samoa v Tonga. $15 for 4 games is a great deal. $15 for any kind of Test match is a great deal!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
shame about Tuivasa Sheck. What happened to Maitua and Matai? Are they injured? Hopefully, we can work on SBW coming to play for Samoa at the World Cup , now he has pulled out injured from the ANZAC Test!

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
shame about Tuivasa Sheck. What happened to Maitua and Matai? Are they injured? Hopefully, we can work on SBW coming to play for Samoa at the World Cup , now he has pulled out injured from the ANZAC Test!
Malo Sole =P ....

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Still chasing the reason why Maitua and Matai weren't selected. Still a strong squad though! And Rugby League Samoa have brought out a few players from Samoa to get a taste of international rep footy. An amazing opportunity and experience for them.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
PACIFIC Islander stars of the future will reject the big-money lure of State of Origin and Australia v New Zealand Test matches to play for their nation of heritage, Samoan players believe.

With six former Kiwi Test players who defected to Samoa taking the field today against Tonga at Centrebet Stadium, there is a growing campaign among the NRL's Polynesian stars to convince the next generation to pledge allegiance to their island nations.

Prop Jeff Lima, who makes his debut for Samoa today alongside former New Zealand captain Roy Asotasi, has a stark prediction for league's administrators.

"I think the next generation will play for Samoa, Tonga or Fiji instead of worrying about the $50,000 a game in State of Origin or the $30,00 a Test for the Kangaroos or Kiwis," Lima said.

"I believe it will get to a stage where the money will be the same. And there is a pride in representing the country where your parents were born."

Already, one-third of the NRL is made up of players with Islander heritage and that is only likely to grow when looking through the rosters of junior squads.

Considering that the likes of Sonny Bill Williams (Samoan heritage), Israel Folau (Tongan), and Jarryd Hayne (Fijian) have been major drawcards for Trans-Tasman Tests or State of Origin series, it would be a major blow for the established fixtures should the next wave of Islander stars opt out.

Lima's Samoan teammate Eddy Pettybourne has already begun lobbying the game's brightest young Islander talent to pledge allegiance to island nations.

"I have been speaking with a few young boys and they have already put an allegiance to Samoa instead of New Zealand or Australia," Pettybourne said.

"I reckon one day soon, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji will start to really challenge Australia, New Zealand and England in Test matches.

"If it keeps going like this, you never know. There are a lot of Polynesian boys out there. It's up to them, but if they put their hands up for the country where their family is from then we'll have some really strong teams."

Brent Kite and Anthony Tupou, who played for Australia in the 2008 World Cup final won 34-20 by a New Zealand team featuring Samoa's Sika Manu, will play for Tonga today.

Samoan official Nigel Vagana says growing professionalism in the islands was a major factor in the NRL stars' decisions to defect.

"In the past we never had a viable option to play for Samoa or Tonga," said Vagana, who represented Samoa and the Kiwis. "It wasn't as professional as it needed to be.

"Players are now coming through an era of professionalism understanding the set-up. They're proud to take these opportunities at a younger age than their predecessors."

Agree there is a genuine need for these games and more....

Tonga v samoa tonight

imagine if Kasiano and Pritchard was playing aswell..
Sbw and Maitua and wow what a pack...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It appears both U20s and Tonga v Samoa will be on Fox Sports 1.

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dead set Marty Kapaou has a serious handling problem..
2 in the first half and he averages 2 per game for us..
come on mate spray some of that glue in your hands, palms, jersey, shorts, thighs and everywhere else..

Status
Not open for further replies.