Sam Burgesss out of medical retirement.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
It is a disgrace if they allow him to come back. If you're medically retired that's it. Might as well start a Medically Retired: Perhaps fucking clause if that's the case. It's a salary cap get-out-of-jail-free card.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolute joke, the People running this once great game are turning it to shit.!!! Disappointing to say the least.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The other clubs need to be more outspoken and object to even the thought of something like this.

I don't know why clubs never challenge the NRL publicly whenever they show blatant favouritism to Souths, the Roosters, Brisbane and Melbourne etc.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This doesnt make sense to me.
Medical retirement is for ppl that become paraplegic, quadriplegic, lose ability in limbs or can't think in the head right, CDC etc
At the very least the rule must be that your NRL days are over. It defeats the purpose of medical retirement.

If he is itching so hard he can play Shute shield, but all it means is he shouldn't have got the payout because he wasn't medically retired by definition if he wants to play again.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
this reminds me of when rocky balboa had brain damage and then 20 years later the brain damage disappeared and he got back into the ring
At least Rocky was a likeable bloke, unlike Summy Bargearse.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
This is beyond a joke! FMD

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This doesnt make sense to me.
Medical retirement is for ppl that become paraplegic, quadriplegic, lose ability in limbs or can't think in the head right, CDC etc
At the very least the rule must be that your NRL days are over. It defeats the purpose of medical retirement.

If he is itching so hard he can play Shute shield, but all it means is he shouldn't have got the payout because he wasn't medically retired by definition if he wants to play again.
Well if brain damage is pre requisite you should be medically retired from TK effective immediately

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When I heard this on the broadcast the other night I just about threw the TV out the second storey window.

Remember all the jumping up and down and hot air from Souths when it may have been a case that he NOT be considered for medical retirement
Pardon my ignorance but if one is considered eligible for medical retirement it is on the basis of the injury being one that PRECLUDES them from continuing to play rugby league for good, not just until they feel 'well enough' to make a comeback. Souths were afforded compensation for both him and Inglis which benefited them in several ways relating to upgrading players and signing new players...The benefit for Burgess covers ALL FOUR years of his then existing contract, money they simply would not have if he played on or was not accepted for medical retirement...PLS they gave him a job after footy hence his inclusion in their COVID bubble...

Souths could be left with as much as $4 million in dead salary cap weight over the next four years should Sam Burgess be forced to retire due to a chronic shoulder injury.

Burgess was on Wednesday ruled out of the upcoming Great Britain Lions tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea as he nurses a chronic shoulder complaint which hampered his season at Souths.

The injury has now reached the point where there is a question mark over his immediate playing future.
While Rabbitohs officials remain hopeful their captain will play on in 2020, the club has accepted Burgess will almost certainly be forced to retire before the end of his current contract, which expires in 2023.

If he does pull the pin on his career any time before the end of his current contract with Souths, the club could be left with $1 million per season in dead weight on their salary cap.

The Rabbitohs would in all likelihood apply for salary cap exemption as they did when Greg Inglis retired at the start of this season, however NRL rules state that medical retirement can only be awarded by the Salary Cap Auditor if an injury is sustained during a player's current contract.

The relevant NRL rules relating to medical retirement state:
  • The Player, at the time of termination, was diagnosed as medically unfit to currently continue to train and play elite level contact sport and was medically unable to ever return to play elite level contact sport due to the current level of disability or the significant risk of further disabling injury as a result of playing elite level contact sport;
  • The Player had no similar injury or medical condition to that area of the body that either has or could reasonably be predicted medically to lead to a degenerative condition of that area of the body prior to signing his last NRL contract or if the players contract was signed more than 24 months previous within the last 24 months unless an unrelated single event has resulted in rapid deterioration of this condition; and
  • A single event that caused the injury could be identified
The second point in the NRL rules is pertinent, given Burgess has had surgery on his shoulder twice prior to the start of his new deal - which commenced this season.

RELATED ARTICLE
Sam Burgess.
NRL 2019
Fears Souths captain Sam Burgess could be forced into early retirement
There is also no single event which triggered the injury. It is a wear and tear issue, leaving Souths with an uphill battle to clear Burgess from their books should he hang the boots up.
Burgess, who turns 31 in December, went under the knife for his third bout of surgery on the troublesome shoulder midway through this season.
"I can’t carry it," Burgess said before the latest surgery. "If it’s round 22 I’m not getting it done. I can’t carry it, I’m in too much pain every day. I can’t train, I can’t do weights, I can’t do anything. I need to get it fixed.
"I’m missing tackles on it. If I get it done now it’s a good opportunity. Make a smart decision and hopefully get the benefits at the back end of the year."

While Burgess did return for the Rabbitohs' run to the preliminary finals, he was playing through pain every week.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL judiciary will be busy again with all his grub acts. I fear for the mental health of the panel they will have to dissect his eye gouges, squirrel grips and hair pulls.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL judiciary will be busy again with all his grub acts. I fear for the mental health of the panel they will have to dissect his eye gouges, squirrel grips and hair pulls.
But he would be good for the game..........you ask Mr Vlandys...

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is not a threat to anyone if he comes back. SBW on the other hand is the ultimate professional and can create problems for opposing teams.

Barge-Arse wants the limelight as he can't attract as many women as when he was playing. In his last season he was absolutely crap, penalty machine with grub acts on the field, suspended every 2nd game.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I heard this on the broadcast the other night I just about threw the TV out the second storey window.

Remember all the jumping up and down and hot air from Souths when it may have been a case that he NOT be considered for medical retirement
Pardon my ignorance but if one is considered eligible for medical retirement it is on the basis of the injury being one that PRECLUDES them from continuing to play rugby league for good, not just until they feel 'well enough' to make a comeback. Souths were afforded compensation for both him and Inglis which benefited them in several ways relating to upgrading players and signing new players...The benefit for Burgess covers ALL FOUR years of his then existing contract, money they simply would not have if he played on or was not accepted for medical retirement...PLS they gave him a job after footy hence his inclusion in their COVID bubble...

Souths could be left with as much as $4 million in dead salary cap weight over the next four years should Sam Burgess be forced to retire due to a chronic shoulder injury.

Burgess was on Wednesday ruled out of the upcoming Great Britain Lions tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea as he nurses a chronic shoulder complaint which hampered his season at Souths.

The injury has now reached the point where there is a question mark over his immediate playing future.
While Rabbitohs officials remain hopeful their captain will play on in 2020, the club has accepted Burgess will almost certainly be forced to retire before the end of his current contract, which expires in 2023.

If he does pull the pin on his career any time before the end of his current contract with Souths, the club could be left with $1 million per season in dead weight on their salary cap.

The Rabbitohs would in all likelihood apply for salary cap exemption as they did when Greg Inglis retired at the start of this season, however NRL rules state that medical retirement can only be awarded by the Salary Cap Auditor if an injury is sustained during a player's current contract.

The relevant NRL rules relating to medical retirement state:
  • The Player, at the time of termination, was diagnosed as medically unfit to currently continue to train and play elite level contact sport and was medically unable to ever return to play elite level contact sport due to the current level of disability or the significant risk of further disabling injury as a result of playing elite level contact sport;
  • The Player had no similar injury or medical condition to that area of the body that either has or could reasonably be predicted medically to lead to a degenerative condition of that area of the body prior to signing his last NRL contract or if the players contract was signed more than 24 months previous within the last 24 months unless an unrelated single event has resulted in rapid deterioration of this condition; and
  • A single event that caused the injury could be identified
The second point in the NRL rules is pertinent, given Burgess has had surgery on his shoulder twice prior to the start of his new deal - which commenced this season.

RELATED ARTICLE
Sam Burgess.
NRL 2019
Fears Souths captain Sam Burgess could be forced into early retirement
There is also no single event which triggered the injury. It is a wear and tear issue, leaving Souths with an uphill battle to clear Burgess from their books should he hang the boots up.
Burgess, who turns 31 in December, went under the knife for his third bout of surgery on the troublesome shoulder midway through this season.
"I can’t carry it," Burgess said before the latest surgery. "If it’s round 22 I’m not getting it done. I can’t carry it, I’m in too much pain every day. I can’t train, I can’t do weights, I can’t do anything. I need to get it fixed.
"I’m missing tackles on it. If I get it done now it’s a good opportunity. Make a smart decision and hopefully get the benefits at the back end of the year."

While Burgess did return for the Rabbitohs' run to the preliminary finals, he was playing through pain every week.
lol@souffs can't pay Burgess because the club doesn't have the money to fund his lucrative position. By getting him registered and playing again lol@souffs can pay him out of the cap. It's a dodgy as fark.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lol@souffs can't pay Burgess because the club doesn't have the money to fund his lucrative position. By getting him registered and playing again lol@souffs can pay him out of the cap. It's a dodgy as fark.
Oh I agree with you and most things these days relating to Souths has dodgy written all over it. In fact the whole game is becoming quite dodgy...