Sam Burgesss out of medical retirement.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sam Burgess has revealed he is considering a shock rugby league comeback next year.

The Rabbitohs great has been training hard since entering the Rabbitohs' bubble and was tossing up joining the team for its finals run this before backing out.

It's said In the worry over the ability of his troublesome shoulder, which forced his medical retirement, was seen as too much of a risk to take. However, 2021 could be on the cards for Burgess.

"Definitely not this season," he told Fox League.

"I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind.

"I've been back in the bubble training and the body feels good but it's just a dream at the moment.

"I've really been enjoying being back with the team, it's great and just seeing them improve day-by-day. It's just good to be around them."

Burgess is said to be getting itchy feet since his medical retirement at the end of last year due to a chronic shoulder problem.

It brought to an end a stunning 182-game career with the Rabbitohs.

Other problems around the comeback included fitting the Englishman under the salary cap and how that would work with his medical retirement payout, where he was paid out his contract in full.

Burgess was willing to take a development contract simply to get on the field but the NRL would have found it difficult to register the contract without an outcry from rival clubs.

Surely not!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How convenient. Didn't he get a medical retirement which benefited the bunnies salary cap massively?

And all of a sudden he can just magically reappear and start playing again?
He’ll get a 200k bonus at the end of this year as coaching staff and then sign on for 120k next year

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a joke. Anyone medically retired, especially players like Burgess who shouldn't have been granted a medical retirement in the first place, shouldn't ever be allowed to come back. It's pretty simple but the corrupt NRL I'm sure will conveniently allow it.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What a joke. Anyone medically retired, especially players like Burgess who shouldn't have been granted a medical retirement in the first place, shouldn't ever be allowed to come back. It's pretty simple but the corrupt NRL I'm sure will conveniently allow it.
100% correct. Didn't Souths use the cap relief to sign Mitchell? PRIDE OF THE BLOODY LEAGUE. What a joke. This was probably their plan all along so as he had time to recover. When he had that girl on his shoulders in America it had me thinking Burgess' career was probably not finished. Any fan with a fully functioning brain can see the NRL is a farce. Burgess and SBW given cart blanche to return. Cameron Smith getting jewellery and Brisbane have a plethora of sponsor friendly Thursday or Friday games on free to air tv for more years than i can remember. Easy to see who gets the favoured treatment in this comp. The next club ceos meeting should see AT LEAST one ceo tear strips off the NRL if Burgess is allowed back.
NRL = No Real Leadership.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First Grog Inglis and now Burgess.

What a fucken joke - pride of the league my ass. NRLol won’t do anything about it either

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately when doctors and insurance companies make these medical retirement decisions they base it of the probability that one may not return to their role based on current circumstances, they do not take into consideration possible future circumstances, developments, treatments, and possible healing.

How ever, the nrl has no obligation to stipulate such ambiguous conditions as they are a different ball game all together. Nrl should make it clear here and now that Sam will not be able to return.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the two highly paid players that are medically retired are looking for comebacks and their wages have been paid regardless outside of the cap. If they return it shouldn't be with the same club that has paid them to heal and already benefited from the cap space. The NRL will allow it though because it's Souths. It's also going to piss me off when this is painted as a good news story rather than as a blatant way to circumvent the cap payment of two injured players.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything goes for the rorters or souffs. There's no scrutiny or oversight with anything they do. The nrl's corporate governance is basically 2 dudes from Sportsbet saying 'nah, nothing to see here'.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score