News Sam Burgess

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shows just how much " Souths cares" and the stupidity of the bloke. Playing the hero.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...ss-reveals-how-he-nearly-lost-his-eye-_160420

South Sydney great Sam Burgess has revealed he almost lost his eye following his brutal but iconic moment in the 2014 grand final against Canterbury.

Burgess suffered a fractured cheekbone and eye socket in a sickening head clash with Bulldogs prop James Graham in the first hit-up of the grand final.

In a moment that will live on forever in the history of rugby league, Burgess admitted the hit-up was supposed to be taken by someone else.

"I definitely didn't plan for it, I can tell you that," Burgess said on 'X-Factor' webinars.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Shows just how much " Souths cares" and the stupidity of the bloke. Playing the hero.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...ss-reveals-how-he-nearly-lost-his-eye-_160420

South Sydney great Sam Burgess has revealed he almost lost his eye following his brutal but iconic moment in the 2014 grand final against Canterbury.

Burgess suffered a fractured cheekbone and eye socket in a sickening head clash with Bulldogs prop James Graham in the first hit-up of the grand final.

In a moment that will live on forever in the history of rugby league, Burgess admitted the hit-up was supposed to be taken by someone else.

"I definitely didn't plan for it, I can tell you that," Burgess said on 'X-Factor' webinars.
I don't think this comes down to South Sydney... it comes down to Burgess staying on the field.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't think this comes down to South Sydney... it comes down to Burgess staying on the field.
It absolutely comes down to Souths....Burgess is an idiot for wanting to continue, but the club still failed in its duty of care to him.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graham the Pom doing everything he can to win us the title. Respect to the guy. We shit on him big time and he's a fuckin blue and white champion in my eyes.
Blokes like that pea heart She rex Williams cost us the title

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was repported that Dr Maguire wanted him to stay on the field so he did.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...-the-grand-final/story-fnp0lyn4-1227081709052
SOUTH Sydney premiership-winning coach Michael Maguire has revealed how he used the legend of John Sattler to inspire a wounded Sam Burgess to play through excruciating pain and lead his side to a famous grand final triumph.

Maguire told The Daily Telegraph at South Sydney’s fan day on Monday that he sent a short yet emotional message out through his trainer for a clearly rattled Burgess, who suffered a fractured cheekbone in the opening tackle on Sunday’s decider.

Sattler will forever remain in Souths folklore for playing the 1970 grand final against Manly with a broken jaw.

“I said to the trainer, run out and tell him John Sattler,” Maguire told The Daily Telegraph.

“Sattler is part of the history of this club and everyone has been very fond of John’s story for a long time.

“To be able to put Sam in that light, two great characters sit together. The stories of what Sattler did, he is a rugby league great and a South Sydney great.

“We have all heard about how John continually achieved at that time when he broke his jaw. I knew Sam could do it. Sam showed he could for all the players and all the young guys coming through at this club.”

The similarities between Sattler and Burgess were eerie. Both played for Souths, both in jumper 13, both sustained facial breaks and both inspired their sides to premierships.

“Sam was never going to come off the field,” Maguire said. “Sam has put in that much work, along with all our players.

“This opportunity with these people, he wasn’t coming off. That’s what it’s all about.”

The assistant coach who took Maguire’s message on the sideline, former Souths forward Mark Ellison, added: “Madge (Maguire) did say to remind Sam about John Sattler. In Madge’s three years here he has taught the players about this club’s famous history and past.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-09/burgess-was-not-concussed-in-gf3a-mcguire/5802742

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire has rejected claims grand final hero Sam Burgess played concussed during the NRL premiership decider last weekend.

The NRL has queried Burgess's physical state after he fractured his cheekbone and eye socket in a head clash with Canterbury's English forward James Graham in the opening tackle of last Sunday's match, won 30-6 by Souths.

English Test forward Burgess was quoted on radio admitting he had little memory of the match, raising speculation he should have been subject to a concussion test.

However, Maguire, speaking at the team's civic reception at Sydney's Town Hall on Thursday before thousands of fans, maintained that his training staff followed the correct protocols in regards to Burgess's welfare.

The processes are there in place and we've been doing that ever since (they have) been brought in.

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire

Maguire said concussion was never a factor with Burgess.

"No, not at all," Maguire told reporters. "The processes are there in place and we've been doing that ever since (they have) been brought in."

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The big failure here is the NRL. They did not abide by their own rules.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The big failure here is the NRL. They did not abide by their own rules.
The players are no more than slabs of meat to the NRL administration. If they can't make money anymore they're quickly discarded.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He should have been brought of for mandatory concussion tests but on the biggest stage the NRL failed

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is Burgess preparing to sue nrl and bunnies?

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The rules around head knocks in the NRL were pretty lax in 2014. Had it of happened 2 or 3 years later he would have been straight off for sure. In hindsight it was a incredibly stupid decision to stay on the field...another similar knock to the same area and....well lets just say half his face may have collapsed in on itself.

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why don't I believe him.

I don't think he would have lost his eye or eyesight.

The Burgess clan wanted to be the first 4 brothers to win a GF together.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Firstly he should have been made to do a HIA test which never happened, and really I don't think he should have been allowed to continue under how the game was being policed.

Because it was South's and they wanted them to win, they let the rules be manipulated for the "greater good" of the game.

I mean, with Burgess gone for that game if it was the case, that would have made a huge impact on South's and would have favoured us for the rest of the game.

Also, fuck Sam Burgess, to the moon and back.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why don't I believe him.

I don't think he would have lost his eye or eyesight.

The Burgess clan wanted to be the first 4 brothers to win a GF together.
Well yes he could have. Robert Relf was supposed to play in the 1995 grand final but suffered an injury almost identical to Burgess in the lead up game to the grand final. He was given the option by the club to play if he wished, but instead he took the Drs advice to not play because even a minor knock to his face could have resulted in loss of an eye. Unselfish indeed.

The fairy tale of four brothers in the GF did not eventuate anyway because Luke was left out of the side.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well yes he could have. Robert Relf was supposed to play in the 1995 grand final but suffered an injury almost identical to Burgess in the lead up game to the grand final. He was given the option by the club to play if he wished, but instead he took the Drs advice to not play because even a minor knock to his face could have resulted in loss of an eye. Unselfish indeed.

The fairy tale of four brothers in the GF did not eventuate anyway because Luke was left out of the side.
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing a Robert Relf reference. That made my day. Thank you. He did play in the 98 gf loss to the broncos.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing a Robert Relf reference. That made my day. Thank you. He did play in the 98 gf loss to the broncos.
Talking of Robert Relf.

I was going through the YouTubers other videos and seen this one. It's not really the fight that got my attention it's Ben Cummins telling the other ref, (can't remember his name) to talk to Ennis. Fondly enough the ref didn't bother to listen.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Relfy was one of my favourites. My hubby played footy with him in Gloucester for the Gloucester Magpies before he came down to Sydney to play for the Dogs. Met up with him a couple of times off the footy field and always remembered his old team mates. Tough and uncompromising he always said he regretted leaving the Doggies and actually came back to play a few lower grade games for us after his stint in England. Intended to play for a season or two in lower grades but had to give the game away due to ill health.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Firstly he should have been made to do a HIA test which never happened, and really I don't think he should have been allowed to continue under how the game was being policed.

Because it was South's and they wanted them to win, they let the rules be manipulated for the "greater good" of the game.

I mean, with Burgess gone for that game if it was the case, that would have made a huge impact on South's and would have favoured us for the rest of the game.

Also, fuck Sam Burgess, to the moon and back.
Yeah i agree. Screw Sam Burgess. Biggest thug since Les Boyd.

I also suspect his retirement on Medical Grounds was exaggerated to some extent.

It smells of a Bennett special tap on the shoulder because he is frustrated with his frequent suspensions and would also alliow Souths to get cap relief If there is one thing we know about bennett he knows when to call time on players careers.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score

I still remember screaming at the TV WTF!!!!! His eye is fucking broken why aren’t they sending him off?? Ahh fuck we’ve lost this we are done. We won’t get a call all game..FUUUUUUUUCK!!