Sam Burgess MEGATHREAD

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this whole Sam Burgess atrocious acts/ Souffs cover up thing. Nothing to see here according to Oz media?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Burgess latest.

Sam Burgess drank beers before threatening father-in-law, court told
Sarah Keoghan
By Sarah Keoghan
November 16, 2020 — 1.24pm
Save

Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Former NRL star Sam Burgess had four beers at a pub before telling his former father-in-law he was going to get him, a court has heard.
Mr Burgess was in Moss Vale Local Court on Monday, fighting two charges of intimidation and assault, after an alleged altercation with Mitchell Hooke, father of his ex-wife Phoebe Burgess, on October 19 last year.
Phoebe Burgess and her mother Sarah Hooke leave Moss Vale Court on Monday.

Phoebe Burgess and her mother Sarah Hooke leave Moss Vale Court on Monday.CREDIT:KATE GERAGHTY
Ms Burgess was in the witness box for most of the morning and told the court how Mr Burgess had allegedly threatened her father.
"Dad said that Sam went off and he started storming around the house," she said. "Sam stood over him and told him he was going to get him."
Advertisement

Ms Burgess told the court the couple had originally arranged for Mr Burgess to have a two-hour visit at Mr Hooke's property from 2pm to 4pm on October 19 in Glenquarry in the Southern Highlands.
Ms Burgess said Mr Burgess texted her that morning to say he had arrived early. Ms Burgess said she told him to still come at 2pm.
As a result, Mr Burgess allegedly went to the Royal Hotel Bowral for an hour and a half before the meeting.
The court was shown CCTV footage of Mr Burgess, a former South Sydney skipper, drinking at the pub from 12.06pm to 1.13pm. He could be seen talking and taking photos with patrons while consuming four beers.
Ms Burgess told the court how she had left the property ahead of the 2pm in an effort not to cross paths with Mr Burgess.
Advertisement

Ms Burgess said she visited Harris Farm in Bowral in the meantime, before parking in a nearby street where she could see Mr Burgess leave the property.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sa...per-by-police-court-told-20201021-p56731.html
While waiting, Ms Burgess said she received a distressed phone call from her "emotional and shaky" father who allegedly told her that Mr Burgess had "finally" left and said, "He had wild eyes, but he came at me, I'm OK."
Ms Burgess said then she drove to the home to find her sister looking "white and shaky".
"She looked at me and told me that Sam had just gone off, he just went off," she said. "I then asked my Dad what had happened ... his mouth was dry, he was shaken, I've never seen my father quite like that ... he was wobbly on his feet."
Advertisement

Ms Burgess said she then took her father into his office to talk about the incident.
"He looked like he was having a bit of anxiety or panic attack," she said.
"He said as he [Mr Burgess] was leaving, he continued to yell out of the window ... He said [to Mr Hooke] everyone that knows you hates you.
"At that point, I decided I was going to call the police."
The hearing continues.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Former NRL star Sam Burgess found guilty of intimidation in 2019 domestic dispute - ABC News

Former NRL star Sam Burgess has been found guilty of intimidating his ex-father-in-law during a heated argument about his children.

Key points:
  • Mitchell Hooke was described as "powerful and believable" when he detailed the encounter
  • The magistrate found Mr Hooke went through a "terrifying experience"
  • Burgess was placed him on a two-year good behaviour bond
The disagreement began when Burgess, 32, was at Mitchell Hooke's NSW Southern Highlands home in October 2019 and was told his visitation time had finished.

The two have previously given varying versions of events to Moss Vale Local Court, where Burgess pleaded not guilty to intimidation and an alternative charge of common assault.

Both agreed the former South Sydney captain had said the visitation issue was "inhumane" before things escalated.

Magistrate Robert Rabbidge found Mr Hooke was an "impressive, believable and consistent" witness who gave "clear and concise" evidence.

He found Burgess guilty of intimidation, recorded a conviction and placed him on a two-year good behaviour bond.

Outside court, Burgess said he would appeal the verdict.

"I'm confused with the decision. We've appealed the decision. I'm innocent," Burgess said.

The prosecution claimed Burgess moved extremely close to Mr Hooke and threatened: "I'm going to get you".

Burgess accused Mr Hooke of shouting, swearing and threatening him by saying: "I'm going to ruin your career if it's the last thing I do."

In court last month, Burgess admitted he exchanged profanities and called Mr Hooke "a f***ing piece of shit".
Mr Rabbidge said even on Burgess's own evidence, he had destroyed the "peaceful environment" created for the children.
He noted Burgess had conceded Mr Hooke said "you would hit a 64-year-old man" during the argument
Mr Rabbidge said he found that "telling".
"Surely, such words could only have been uttered after a close confrontational encounter," the magistrate said.
He said while nobody besides the young children witnessed what happened inside the house, he noted evidence of Mr Hooke's demeanour after the incident.
It indicated "a man who has gone through a terrifying experience", Mr Rabbidge said.
Mr Hooke previously described Burgess's "wild eyes", said he was "terrified" and declared he had "never been threatened like that in my life".
Mr Rabbidge said those were "powerful and believable" descriptions.
Mr Hooke's daughter, Harriet Hooke, told the court her father was "white, pale and terrified" after the confrontation and described Burgess as red-faced, aggressive and with enlarged pupils
Burgess's ex-wife Phoebe Burgess was on her way home at the time.
A close up selfie of a man in a suit with a smiling blond woman.

The disagreement began over the visitation of Sam Burgess and ex Phoebe's children(Instagram)
Burgess conceded he drank four schooners of beer at a pub before the visit but denied being affected by alcohol.
Today's decision was delayed after the court heard Mr Hooke wrote an email to the magistrate pointing out an old family connection and raising possible conflict.
But Mr Rabbidge said he'd lived in the region for 23 years, was well-familiar with thousands of people and that judicial officers "do not live in a vacuum".
Burgess's lawyer, Bryan Wrench, said the email was a total waste of time.
"It was an attempt to undermine the integrity of this court," Mr Wrench said.
Posted 8hhours ago, updated 5hhours ago

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If there is anything between his ears SB will stay out of trouble otherwise the Teflon he seems to be made of will eventually fail.

He got away with stuff while playing. The head high tackle on Matt Moylan when the judiciary let him off being a case in point. His revered status in the game particularly in the media is just not justified.

If he doesn't learn from this then his day of reckoning will surely come.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL 2021: ‘Confused’ Sam Burgess set to appeal guilty verdict following dramatic trial

A shell-shocked Sam Burgess has launched an appeal after he was found guilty of intimidation and sentenced to a two-year good behaviour bond.

Magistrate Robert Babbidge handed down the verdict in Moss Vale Local Court after ruling the retired NRL star intimidated his former father-in-law Mitchell Hooke in October, 2019.

During last month’s trial, Burgess admitted trading insults with Mr Hooke, the father of his ex-wife Phoebe, during a heated argument but denied threatening him.

Burgess pleaded not guilty to the charge of intimidation and another count of common assault in relation to the incident at the Hooke family home outside of Bowral.

In finding the ex-England captain guilty of intimidation Magistrate Babbidge said, ‘An angered Sam Burgess would indeed be a frightening figure to most Australians’.

He also rejected Burgess’ claim that Mr Hooke and Phoebe had launched an orchestrated campaign to destroy his career.

Burgess, who r emains stood down from his roles as an assistant coach at South Sydney and a Fox Sports NRL pundit, was in disbelief when he briefly addressed reporters outside of the court.

“(I’m) confused with the decision, we’ve appealed the decision, I’m innocent,” Burgess said.

Meanwhile, there was high drama before Friday’s verdict amid revelations Mr Hooke claimed the magistrate had a conflict of interest due to a previous disagreement between members of their families in an email on Thursday night.

Magistrate Babbidge rejected those claims and proceeded with the case, ruling in Mr. Hooke’s favour.