Sam Burgess MEGATHREAD

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hahaha love it mate
Honestly. I don't know what I'd do if my kids started supporting anyone but the Dogs. I couldn't handle it. It'd be so hard to deal with.

My aunty is a Parra supporter. That's it though. The rest on both sides are all Bulldog supporters. We all grew up on the hill together, and hold the Dogs close to our hearts.

If this thing with Burgess happened to us we all know the it'd be the end of the Dogs. We'd lose sponsorship, points, massive fines etc. etc. We'd be buried.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Court proceedings

In October 2019, police took an apprehended violence order against Sam Burgess for the protection of his father-in-law, Mr Hooke.

This arose from an encounter at the Hookes’ family property at Glenquarry in the NSW Southern Highlands – the scene of the glittering 2015 wedding.

Sam Burgess arrived at the property to spend time with his children on October 19 and a confrontation ensued with Mr Hooke asking Sam to leave, which he did.

Arriving home to see her father terrified, Phoebe rang the police who then applied for the AVO on Mr Hooke’s behalf, as well as charging Burgess with one count of ‘intimidation (DV related)’. Burgess pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Burgess’s lawyer, Bryan Wrench, told the court in November 2019 the AVO was based on “false allegations … There was no violence, no intimidation and no threats.

“So far as an interim order is in place, we make no admissions and make denials.”

The matter is due to be heard in November.

While it was Phoebe who rang the police to protect her father, Mr Hooke told The Australian he had been deeply concerned about his daughter and worried how he could best protect her as her husband unravelled.

“We watched this outward, gregarious, bubbly personality just degenerate into this almost traumatised, cautious, anxious person – just so not our Phoebe,” he said.

“She was desperately trying to stay the course in the hope as she said to me that he would get help and that her children would have a father … trying to work through his problems and encourage him to get help.

“Good Sam was exceptional. That’s what we all experienced when they first met and subsequently married.

“We didn’t see the bad Sam then. And unbeknown to us she was covering up so much.

“It wasn’t until we were confronted with the full reality of what this girl had been suffering for the sake of her children and family I have got to tell you I bawled my eyes out for almost two days straight when confronted with the full knowledge of the systematic abuse she suffered and I’m not the sort of bloke that’s easily given to tears.

“We saw our second daughter, a huge part of our life’s work as parents and a family, unravelling before our eyes and we were paralysed to do anything about it.”
That makes this thread age badly for some:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly. I don't know what I'd do if my kids started supporting anyone but the Dogs. I couldn't handle it. It'd be so hard to deal with.

My aunty is a Parra supporter. That's it though. The rest on both sides are all Bulldog supporters. We all grew up on the hill together, and hold the Dogs close to our hearts.

If this thing with Burgess happened to us we all know the it'd be the end of the Dogs. We'd lose sponsorship, points, massive fines etc. etc. We'd be buried.
Exactly! They’d kick us out of the comp.
What if your kids went for a “harmless” team like the cowboys or warriors? haha

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely the "chief medical officer" or "Doctor" will be deregistered too for his role in the cover-up.

Souths chief medical officer Andrew McDonald treated Burgess during a drug-fuelled episode on November 6, 2018, and injected him with liquid tranquilliser — but wrote the prescription in another person’s name, according to pharmacy records obtained by The Australian.

In the wake of this incident, Burgess underwent a secret drug test with a different doctor on November 7, 2018, in the underground car park of South Sydney Juniors club, where he allegedly tested positive for MDMA and ketamine.

View attachment 17352

The drug tests were allegedly recorded under a fake name, according to sworn statements provided to NSW Police.

Dr McDonald was present — along with a nurse recommended by the club and another Rabbitohs player — when Burgess allegedly assaulted a heavily pregnant Phoebe Burgess in November 2018. “I don’t have any comment at this stage,” Dr McDonald said in response to questions submitted by The Australian.

Officials at the highest levels of the club were also notified about Burgess’s use of drugs in the months prior to his promotion to club captain in April 2019.
That should be enough for him to be deregistered by whatever medical association he is a member of.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sure the NRL will sweep this under the rug yet again. Nothing to see here..

If this were our club we'd be kicked out of the comp. Instead Souths will probably get some minuscule fine.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly! They’d kick us out of the comp.
What if your kids went for a “harmless” team like the cowboys or warriors? haha
Fuck that. Anyone but the Dogs and they need to change their last name and not be seen with me.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the NRL will sweep this under the rug yet again. Nothing to see here..

If this were our club we'd be kicked out of the comp. Instead Souths will probably get some minuscule fine.
Don't be so sure. Greenburg was enamoured with Crowe and always wanted to please him. Pete is a very different beast so I'm hoping he reams this shit **** of a club.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't be so sure. Greenburg was enamoured with Crowe and always wanted to please him. Pete is a very different beast so I'm hoping he reams this shit c*** of a club.
You'd like to think so but he's already shown favouritism to Souths by allowing them to break the rules for Suaali, so I'm not expecting the book to get thrown at them like it would if it was the Bulldogs instead.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
NRL powerhouse club South Sydney Rabbitohs covered up alleged drug use, domestic violence and harassment to protect a star player, and is accused of using fake identities to hide positive tests for illegal substances.
Officials from the Russell Crowe-owned club were aware of the destructive lifestyle of superstar Sam Burgess, and promoted him to captain despite knowing of his behaviour.
Thank god for some decent journalism.

If this is all true, Burgess and his brothers (and souths) are a pack of c**ts.

They have their nice 'women in league round' and wear pink and pretend to care about women, and then beat up and intimidate their pregnant wives and in laws.

Honestly, this should be the only story in Australia today. Front page of every paper. People should be publicly shaming Burgess in the streets if he's even seen in public. Absolutely disgusting.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does SMH have no reference to this story yet? Also ABC news nothing?

WTF??
TBF, the story was the culmination of several months worth by a news corp team, and the allegations are pretty explosive. Its not like reported it five minutes in themselves.

The other news outlets don't have any of the primary source information/documents and would only be going on what the Australian has said. I'd be treading carefully if I was another news outlet before going boots in.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
TBF, the story was the culmination of several months worth by a news corp team, and the allegations are pretty explosive. Its not like reported it five minutes in themselves.

The other news outlets don't have any of the primary source information/documents and would only be going on what the Australian has said. I'd be treading carefully if I was another news outlet before going boots in.
but couldn't you (SMH/ABC etc) simply have an article stating that the Australian is running a story which if true would be one of the biggest scandals in Australian sporting history in many years?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
You have to remember how many media personalities and media outlets are completely conflicted when it comes to Sam Burgess. How many personalities are personally friends with Sam Burgess.....hrmmm let's start with Channel 9. How many channel 9 commentators have personal relationships with Sam Burgess. Do you think they are going to come out and speak out against Burgess? Hell no.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well, rest assured, ABC news are running it on TV (i'm watching the breakfast show on ABC24).

But if I look at what is going on in Australia and the world today, it's going to sit behind the Federal Budget, Covid and US Presidential debates... sure its a big story for us as watchers of League, but its not exactly going to stop the entire nation.