Salary Cap Mega thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Which players are on huge back ended contracts then? Klemmer?
Hoppa? Tolman?So what are they on min wage right now?

Just doesn’t add up

We lose J and B Moz 700k each apparently, Eastwood 800k, Kasiano and Graham, then smaller contracts like Frawley say 300k, already lost Grub

The cap went up...

Don’t we do TPA?

Fkn shambles

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Unless the situation is correct but the numbers and how it's come about is misreported?

No Hasler would have just kept back ending contracts..........
Are backended contracts still allowed? I thought NRL stepped in and stopped that when he left Manly ??

So you think he'd just keep pushing contracts back till final year of players contract (kinda like a salary cap wave?)?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unless the situation is correct but the numbers and how it's come about is misreported?

Are backended contracts still allowed? I thought NRL stepped in and stopped that when he left Manly ??

So you think he'd just keep pushing contracts back till final year of players contract (kinda like a salary cap wave?)?
Mr I
You are good at collating data

Do a mock up salary 2018/19/20 of our current roster (plus Graham and Kasiano), should be able to figure this shit out at least gives us an idea haha

If our cap situation was such in dire straits would Dib not have been happy to lose the election

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Backended contracts are still allowed. However there is a maximum percentage figure you can backend a contract.

The problem with backended contracts are that once you get into the cycle of backending it is very hard to get out of it. It would be like paying off a credit card with another credit card. You will always be in a mess cap wise.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is the most important comment in that article "’The figure I’ve heard" ... so no fact, just based on something someones passed him over.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...nst-new-zealand-warriors-20180314-h0xhou.html
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/aidan-sezer-focused-on-securing-new-deal-with-canberra-raiders/

Hypothetical... if Hasler was still at the club, would he (and Castle and Co) allow the situation to get as grim as that?? I don't think so.
Seriously what’s your point? Hasler and co were the ones that made this fucking problem not Pay , not the Andersons .

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
cut all those off contract...none there that are all that great anyway

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously what’s your point? Hasler and co were the ones that made this fucking problem not Pay , not the Andersons .
I would say his point is they would have had a plan moving forward

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Backended contracts are still allowed. However there is a maximum percentage figure you can backend a contract.

The problem with backended contracts are that once you get into the cycle of backending it is very hard to get out of it. It would be like paying off a credit card with another credit card. You will always be in a mess cap wise.
So club trying to stem the flow by offloading players to other clubs and paying out a years contract, in order to break the cycle?

At the time the contracts were signed, Castle and Hasler would have expected to still be at the club. So why would they run the club so dangerously close to the line with capspace? It wouldn't make sense for them to strangle the club with cap space, as if they were still at the club it would have screwed our playing roster.

If that makes sense?

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So club trying to stem the flow by offloading players to other clubs and paying out a years contract, in order to break the cycle?

At the time the contracts were signed, Castle and Hasler would have expected to still be at the club. So why would they run the club so dangerously close to the line with capspace? It wouldn't make sense for them to strangle the club with cap space, as if they were still at the club it would have screwed our playing roster.

If that makes sense?
A lot of assumptions there ... I don’t think they had a plan at all after the salary cap didn’t go up as much as fat arse Ray wanted it to.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes for good theatre, just wish it was at another club.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely the club would be hearing these reports. If the are untrue come out and deny the reports, make the reporters look like idiots. I know the club doesn't need to come out and defend itself against every rumour but this is a big one and causing alot of grief

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Of course he would have he did it at Manly and he did it here and if he suddenly stopped it would be the exact situation we are in now. Once you start back loading you can’t stop it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Releasing players doesn’t do a thing to get out of the trouble unless you can find a club willing to take the player on its full massive contract. You have to find a really cheap replacement for the released player and have a tonne of dead cap space.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Media trying to have it both ways..... all BS.
First they want to make our club look stupid by saying "got rid of graham and still paying 400k", "morris boys on 700k each", "Eastwood on 800k". "Still topping up Kas".
Then all these players come off contract and all of a sudden we have no coin.... fuck off

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You know what?

All the tippers an critics etc have us getting the spoon this year an have cowboys pumping us by plenty this week!!
I know we are playing badly an don’t have the Cattle to win games..and pay is a crap coach etc the list goes on!!

But you know what ? I hope to hell we come out this week an prove everyone wrong an beat the cowboys an make all the haters eat their words, i know it’s a long shot but fuck me. I’m sick of everyone apart from us fans writing us off! If we come out an get the job done a lot of people are going to be made look like fools an that’s what needs to Happen to give us some dignity and save face!!

a loss is inevitable, but we still have a very slight chance as underdogs to shut them mouths up lol

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
this is so typical of most of the threads on this site. Some 'journo' says something about us, it gets posted then the comments start about how much all our players are/aren't on and within 5 mins a group reach consensus that half the team is on 10 year contracts while the other half is on $5m a season. Of course it has to be true because the people they cite as the architects of the demise are mentally delayed buffoons who couldn't possibly get it right - could they? Our only mistake was gambling on the size of the new cap and losing. That's all on the previous board/administration but not really the end of the world.

At the time we signed pretty much every player in our roster it most likely made sense to do so. Saying a couple of years later what a stupid idea it was really lacks objectivity. Look at JT (1 & 2) at the moment. They worth $1m+ a season this year? Does that mean they are rubbish? Holland and Elliott aren't on much. They have no bargaining point. They aren't rep players they aren't juniors and they are at the beginning of their careers. Mbye should be on plenty. He was a junior Origin player and involved in a 3 way war for the halves spot. Tolman I would expect after 6-7 years with the club and always being in FG would be on around the $500k mark maybe even a bit more given his internal leadership activities.

Instead of jumping at shadows and rumours how about a bit of logic be applied to it. Massoud is no doubt talking to player managers - none of whom have any idea what our cap situation is other than what the club tells them and the club would be telling them they haven't got any space to minimise the impact of negotiations. Pretty straightforward negotiating activity really.

So unless the club comes out and says they have overcooked the cap for the next couple of years and I highly doubt they would then I will take all this with more than a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.