Salary Cap and Roster Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the league questions how the Roosters seem to always find money for marquee signing it had me questioning how our clubs compare when it comes to roster and cap management. This is pretty much over the Hasler years and I question where we would be if we had better management.

Fullback
Dogs sign B Morris and Abbey. We pay almost $1 mill a season to have neither B Morris or Abbey as our fullback while the Roosters sign Gordon on the cheap and also get an excellent goal kicker something we have lacked since Hodko.

Winger
We now have to pay $600k to a winger due to the failed BMoz experiment. Roosters sign Fingerson on unders coming back from his time away.

Centre
We re-sign J Moz who is a great player but on good money. Roosters sign Jennings when Penrith is footing half the bill and then offload him to Parra when it's not working out.

Halves
We resign Mbye to big money and spend years with blinkers on chasing Foran like a teenage crush. Roosters sign Maloney and when things don't work out with his replacements Nikorima/Hastings, they get a massive upgrade in Keary. Roosters also decide to let Watson walk than match big offers thrown at him. Should Bulldogs have done the same with Mbye?

Props
Graham, Tolman & Kasiano signed on big deals. Poor management means we have too much money tied up in this position. Our captain is forced to leave, Kasiano who despite regressing each year from 2012 and lacking the professionalism to stay fit and maintain a proper athlete's diet is re-signed. For some reason Tolman was re-signed despite not being able to break a tackle or make any metres after contact. Roosters sign cheapie in Moa and decide to let Evans walk than pay overs for a prop.

2nd Row
Tony Williams not much more needs to said. We also let Pritchard go which was a massive mistake.
Roosters sign SBW and they also get a gun in Taukeiaho on the cheap. They decide to let Guerra walk than pay overs for him.

Lock
Eastwood shouldn't have been re-signed and is eating big cap space. Roosters have Liu on the cheap doing a job that allows them to divert funds elsewhere.

Hooker
The Ennis debacle will haunt our club for years. Des should have changed his style to suit Ennis' strengths and allow him to play his natural game. Instead we let him walk and his replacement struggles until the final few games of last year. Roosters have a gun in Friend but also let him play to his strengths. Difference here is Roosters have a system set up for their captain.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As the league questions how the Roosters seem to always find money for marquee signing it had me questioning how our clubs compare when it comes to roster and cap management. This is pretty much over the Hasler years and I question where we would be if we had better management.

Fullback
Dogs sign B Morris and Abbey. We pay almost $1 mill a season to have neither B Morris or Abbey as our fullback while the Roosters sign Gordon on the cheap and also get an excellent goal kicker something we have lacked since Hodko.

Winger
We now have to pay $600k to a winger due to the failed BMoz experiment. Roosters sign Fingerson on unders coming back from his time away.

Centre
We re-sign J Moz who is a great player but on good money. Roosters sign Jennings when Penrith is footing half the bill and then offload him to Parra when it's not working out.

Halves
We resign Mbye to big money and spend years with blinkers on chasing Foran like a teenage crush. Roosters sign Maloney and when things don't work out with his replacements Nikorima/Hastings, they get a massive upgrade in Keary. Roosters also decide to let Watson walk than match big offers thrown at him. Should Bulldogs have done the same with Mbye?

Props
Graham, Tolman & Kasiano signed on big deals. Poor management means we have too much money tied up in this position. Our captain is forced to leave, Kasiano who despite regressing each year from 2012 and lacking the professionalism to stay fit and maintain a proper athlete's diet is re-signed. For some reason Tolman was re-signed despite not being able to break a tackle or make any metres after contact. Roosters sign cheapie in Moa and decide to let Evans walk than pay overs for a prop.

2nd Row
Tony Williams not much more needs to said. We also let Pritchard go which was a massive mistake.
Roosters sign SBW and they also get a gun in Taukeiaho on the cheap. They decide to let Guerra walk than pay overs for him.

Lock
Eastwood shouldn't have been re-signed and is eating big cap space. Roosters have Liu on the cheap doing a job that allows them to divert funds elsewhere.

Hooker
The Ennis debacle will haunt our club for years. Des should have changed his style to suit Ennis' strengths and allow him to play his natural game. Instead we let him walk and his replacement struggles until the final few games of last year. Roosters have a gun in Friend but also let him play to his strengths. Difference here is Roosters have a system set up for their captain.
All under Board's watch

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Rotters are the darlings of particularly Ch9 but also Fox, which means that they have constant promotion, Politis is a very clever salesman he can manipulate people.
Much of the media has promoted negative publicity and hatred against our club, which has flowed through to players, league fans including some of ours, and at times even on the field.
THIS HAS LED TO MANY PANIC DECISIONS BY OUR BOARD AND CLUB, HENCE WE NOW HAVE TO TURN BACK TO OUR PAST.
I know that some think that if we get rid of some or all of the ethnic influence in our club things will change, ANY THOUGHTS lets face the truth for the sake of our club.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Pretty sure your disregarding a long list of blokes still paid massive $$$ at the chooks like jwh Napa Cordner Cronk Tedesco etc. not to
Mention the “on the cheap” fingerson and Keary Lui tko etc deals have been upgraded and I’m sure when someone offers Latrell the best part of a mil chooks will
Match it . Have about 5 mil just in their back 7. Then Allow Napa jwh Cordner friend Crichton lui tko etc. it’s a joke mate.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Rotters are the darlings of particularly Ch9 but also Fox, which means that they have constant promotion, Politis is a very clever salesman he can manipulate people.
Much of the media has promoted negative publicity and hatred against our club, which has flowed through to players, league fans including some of ours, and at times even on the field.
THIS HAS LED TO MANY PANIC DECISIONS BY OUR BOARD AND CLUB, HENCE WE NOW HAVE TO TURN BACK TO OUR PAST.
I know that some think that if we get rid of some or all of the ethnic influence in our club things will change, ANY THOUGHTS lets face the truth for the sake of our club.
About your last sentence mate-it is not about that at all. We are all Australians. It is about capability and performance. That is what needs to be debated not ethnicity.

N

Natboy

The roosters do TPA’s better than anyone including the broncos.
Also, would you like to go down to the beach after training or sit in traffic on Canterbury road getting road raged?

As for the ethnic comment, I don’t think that’s our problem at all.
I mean looking at the labor party for the past decade will show you what often happens with Arabs in power but we can’t blame that for our club turning to shit.
At least we are turning it around now

Malla

Reaction score
The roosters do TPA’s better than anyone including the broncos.
Also, would you like to go down to the beach after training or sit in traffic on Canterbury road getting road raged?

As for the ethnic comment, I don’t think that’s our problem at all.
I mean looking at the labor party for the past decade will show you what often happens with Arabs in power but we can’t blame that for our club turning to shit.
At least we are turning it around now
I think its just that Roosters are in Bondi and the beach being right there as you said... but also Politis can offer players accomodation basically anywhere along the east coast. With that though I always think Newcastle should be a lot more popular than what it is - by the beach, small beach town away from the city, but still close enough to the city etc.

N

Natboy

I think its just that Roosters are in Bondi and the beach being right there as you said... but also Politis can offer players accomodation basically anywhere along the east coast. With that though I always think Newcastle should be a lot more popular than what it is - by the beach, small beach town away from the city, but still close enough to the city etc.
I like Newcastle but it’s a bit bogan & like a ghost town by 10pm.
In saying that I’d rather live there than the eastern suburbs surrounded by wankers & backpackers

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like Newcastle but it’s a bit bogan & like a ghost town by 10pm.
In saying that I’d rather live there than the eastern suburbs surrounded by wankers & backpackers
Ideal for some people with a young family.. footy players are a diff breed though

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I would agree that Canterbury hasn't been smart or good with its cap management in recent years (ie. Trex & a few others).

Mybe also got signed for big coin and has never delivered on his potential. I'm hoping the new coach does get Mybe firing.

But let's face it, our club has never been good in this respect. For those of you old enough to remember when the 2002 salary cap scandal broke, I remember reading articles which listed the salaries of the entire squad, we were paying massive overs for reserve grade players also, not just the star players in 1st grade.

Mind you at that time I think salary cap rorting was happening at orger clubs also.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
About your last sentence mate-it is not about that at all. We are all Australians. It is about capability and performance. That is what needs to be debated not ethnicity.
You and I must mix with different people, most of whom I've spoken to and support other clubs have expressed that very reason for hating our club.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, but there is only 1 drug dealer in Newcastle who is so untouchable he is an immortal! I suppose you are right, he gets it to some players cheap which should be included in the salary cap!

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last thing we should be worrying about is signing someone based on cultural or religious background. We need to sign someone based on if they provide something of value to the team.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree that Canterbury hasn't been smart or good with its cap management in recent years (ie. Trex & a few others).

Mybe also got signed for big coun and has never delivered on his potential. I'm hoping the new coach doe get Mybe firing.

But let's face it, our club has never been good in this respect. For those of you old enough to remember when the 2002 salary cap scandal broke, I remember reading articles which listed the salaries of the entire squad, we were paying massive overs for reserve grade players also, not just the star players in 1st grade.

Mind you at that time I think salary cap rorting was happening at orger clubs also.
I just think that if we had a better recruitment team we could have made similar moves to the Roosters. It's like we always pay overs just to get or keep players

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I just think that if we had a better recruitment team we could have made similar moves to the Roosters. It's like we always pay overs just to get or keep players
I agree. We had to pay overs to keep even marginal FG players because we had no development and recruitment going on for years. That came back to bite us on the bum with the salary cap problems we have/had.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Fullback

Winger

Centre

Halves

Props

2nd Row

Lock

Hooker
Great post mate. And allthough i agree, there is one glaringly obvious thing that you forgot to acknowledge, the roosters are always paying more then they declare. They cheat the cap better then anyone. So of course it always looks like they are getting players on the cheap. Do you really think fingers stayed on for unders when he is a current NSW and Australian player? I doubt it. And he is just one of many examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.