Saint, Sinner, Shoosh: Trent Barrett’s coaching return

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saint, Sinner, Shoosh: Trent Barrett’s coaching return

Sacked Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has been interviewed to make a shock comeback at the St George-Illawarra Dragons.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Barrett is on a short-list to join Anthony Griffin’s coaching staff as an assistant next season as part of the club’s coaching staff shake up.

Barrett met with Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb last week as the club prepares to replace Peter Gentle, Mathew Head and James Graham, who were axed in recent weeks.

Barrett played three seasons at halfback for Illawarra and then eight years at the joint venture club before finishing his playing career at the Sharks and retiring in 2010.

“There have been plenty of people putting their hands up for the assistant jobs,” Webb said. “I know Trent’s very highly thought of as someone who connects very well with players. He wouldn’t be on the short list if he wasn’t highly respected.

Trent Barrett is in talks to join the Dragons.

Trent Barrett is in talks to join the Dragons.

“Does he have the qualities to compliment our coach? As an assistant I think he does so he’s definitely in the mix.

“It’s the coach’s team so it will be his decision. We’ll look at what we think he needs and Hook will do the same.”

Barrett struggled in his two seasons as head coach at the Bulldogs, finishing with just five wins from 34 games for a 14.7 per cent win record.

He was axed by Bulldogs director of football Phil Gould with two years remaining on his contract.

However prior to that Barrett did a superb job as Ivan Cleary’s assistant at Penrith, helping develop the then young playmakers Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai into Origin players and grand final winners.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
So the dragons will be the next bunch of third rate Penrith cosplayers. Yeah, this’ll turn things around for them… lol

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm glad he has another job, I don't like to see people unemployed. Should he build up his reputation again, i hope he is more picky in choosing his next head coaching job. Coaching Canterbury in the mess we were in was always going to be hard & if he failed may end his top job aspirations. Maybe assistant coach is his level. Look at John Cartwright.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My only concern is hell try and poach our players to spite the club

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Good grief Saints are moronic …. They should poach Ricky as well

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No homo but anyone else think this guy is really good looking?

Tan, hairline and in good shape. He must pull all kinds of tail.