Sack JMK

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only saw a snippet of tonights game but he showed some willingness to run from dummy half. Might have early teething problems with more frequent DH running, but it might be part of a bigger cog in our playing style that really lets him shine in our side this year.

As I said I saw only a 15-20 minute snippet of the game and he didn't look terrible in that. I'll wait and see how his game compliments our game plan before jumping at the idea of sacking him.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol.
Remember after that trial match against the panthers and the kennel were all blowing loads over JMK.
Now after a preseason game 2 years on we want him sacked.
Gotta love arm chair experts.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unless Cam Smith goes to Brisbane and we try and get Turpin, or someone else becomes available, then we're likely stuck with JMK and Katoa for this season.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Unless Cam Smith goes to Brisbane and we try and get Turpin, or someone else becomes available, then we're likely stuck with JMK and Katoa for this season.
Unless something drastic happens that improves Katoa and JMK, it looks like it will become so glaringly obvious that we need a good 9, and that they'd walk straight into first grade, you'd be thinking a few player managers will start offering one of their players looking for an opportunity?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching JMK last night was depressing as he didn't seem like he improved one bit. I don't blame Baz for that, just like I wouldn't blame him for not improving Lewis, because at the end of the day you can't polish a turd.

Hopefully Kotoa or Wakehman give us something better because a bad 9 will stifle our attack

I was very confident of making the 8 this year on the proviso we got Burton early and the 9 showed some improvement...but Burton is a 50-50 and the 9 still looks a massive problem for us

Another option for the 9 might be Jake Simpkin from the Tigers. He has bug wraps on him. Surely we can steal him off them if he's any good (fun loving Baz vs angry ant Madge - easy choice). Every single player we've both gone after (Burton and JAC) has chosen us so if we want him we should be able to get him

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Benji gave him a spray on the field for not getting the ball to him and then again brought it up in the post game interview. JMK looked worse than he has over last couple years which is scary.

Only one of our players that actually looked impressive was Topine. He’s going to be a star.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unless something drastic happens that improves Katoa and JMK, it looks like it will become so glaringly obvious that we need a good 9, and that they'd walk straight into first grade, you'd be thinking a few player managers will start offering one of their players looking for an opportunity?
It's been the problem area for years. The previous administration tried to address it but unfortunately missed out on targets. By the time Baz and co took over, the options available weren't great.

Starling would have been a good buy but why he stayed at Canberra to be a backup is beyond me. Turpin might become available if Cam steals his job? If not, we'll probably just have to ride it out with JMK and Katoa for the season and hope that they can be serviceable.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His service was terrible, even his brother had a go at him. Easily the worst hooker playing tonight.
Exactly. Just watched an interview with Benji where Benji said he gave his bro a spray after he didn't give Benji the ball when he asked for it. I know stuff like that happens in games sometimes but it could also demonstrate JMK doesn't listen to the playmakers 100% of the time or he can't adjust quickly when a particular half asks for the ball so he just continues to pass to who he already had in mind (takes the easier option)

JMK offers nothing in attack. No running game, no drawing in the defence then getting a selective pass away to create a break. He can't read the defence, can't create anything of value. Has to be the worst hooker in the comp. With him our team - especially our halves - are playing at such a disadvantage.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly. Just watched an interview with Benji where Benji said he gave his bro a spray when after he didn't give Benji the ball when he asked for it. I know stuff like that happens in games sometimes but it could also demonstrate JMK doesn't listen to the playmakers 100% of the time or he can't adjust quickly when a particular half asks for the ball so he just continues to pass to who he already had in mind (takes the easier option)

JMK offers nothing in attack. No running game, no drawing in the defence then getting a selective pass away to create a break. He can't read the defence, can't create anything of value. Has to be the worst hooker in the comp.
I didn't even see the interview, I just saw Benji having a go at him during the game. It's pretty clear but some just refuse to admit it and hang onto hope that Baz is going to miraculously turn JMK into a competent hooker...no vision, poor decision making, average service.

I'm sure he will start the season there as the safe option...Baz will likely limit the role of hooker and see how things go. No doubt Katoa, Wakeham or Lewis and whoever else trained there this preseason will get a run at some point.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not to defend JMK, but I think his time was limited on the field. Didn’t seem like he was ever on for more then 15-20 mins at a time.

He didn’t do too bad. But at the same time he isn’t a Dally M hooker of the year contender. He adds value coming off the bench. I still doubt he is a starter and he definitely isn’t an 80 min player.

I still think Luke was the worst hooker on the field. And his dummy half run on the last tackle was a typical brain explosion.

Anyways with JMK I’d play him as a utility, adds value as a impact hooker against tiring forwards. Has proven he isn’t a starter. But just the fact there is no one else at the club who can play the 9 has resulted in him racking up 60+ games.

I’m sure we will strengthen the 9 in 22 and Atleast we have a coach that knows the role of the 9 instead of using him solely as a tackle machine. So exciting times ahead for the club :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not to defend JMK, but I think his time was limited on the field. Didn’t seem like he was ever on for more then 15-20 mins at a time.

He didn’t do too bad. But at the same time he isn’t a Dally M hooker of the year contender. He adds value coming off the bench. I still doubt he is a starter and he definitely isn’t an 80 min player.

I still think Luke was the worst hooker on the field. And his dummy half run on the last tackle was a typical brain explosion.

Anyways with JMK I’d play him as a utility, adds value as a impact hooker against tiring forwards. Has proven he isn’t a starter. But just the fact there is no one else at the club who can play the 9 has resulted in him racking up 60+ games.

I’m sure we will strengthen the 9 in 22 and Atleast we have a coach that knows the role of the 9 instead of using him solely as a tackle machine. So exciting times ahead for the club :grinning:
Yes looks like another year of just hang in there in that position and wait/hope for a better option.

We all might be surprised ...but will have to be a huge turnaround.

Will know more after Knights game.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes looks like another year of just hang in there in that position and wait/hope for a better option.

We all might be surprised ...but will have to be a huge turnaround.

Will know more after Knights game.
Just as long as he doesn’t do a lichaa and kills it the last 5 games of this year. Gets a contract upgrade, serves up 2 more years of rubbish then leaves the nrl, gets drunk on a Valentine’s Day and puts his fist through several windows :p

But I do agree Barrett will strengthen our 9 for 2022.