• Replace Tbaz with another coach at the end of the season

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • Replace Tbaz with Flanagan at the end of the season

Votes: 14 7.3%

• Total voters

TAS

All In
Reaction score
In the media he was pumping him up for the job. In fact, he pumped him up - hailed him as a head coach and would be perfect for the job.

Then, he said something the effect of “he shouldn’t take it” and again, his gripe was with the club and how it was being run - the Andersons.

Gus and Barrett are very close.
I am aware that Gus and Tbaz are close. I never said they weren’t. I just said Gus never recommended Tbaz take our job.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You're not going to get Woolf, Ciraldo, Brentnall or Ryles a quarter of the way through the season.

So the solution is Flanagan who hasn't coached since 2018 or any number of other blokes who have never really succeeded? Can't see it happening.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By R10 the drums will be far louder. He just fails to get his message through to players or if that is the way he is coaching them to perform on the paddock then it is terrible. I am not even confident we can beat wests. Next week, if we lose to Broncs, I can see some crisis talks by the shadow assassins at the dogs. If nothing changes this could be back to back spoons people.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
List off coaches I would consider

Kristen Woolf St Helens and Tonga coach (heard a number of players from Superleague and Tonga rave about him in a number of player podcasts reckon he will be one of the next top nrl coaches)

Cameron Ciraldo Panthers assistant (Next up and coming coach according to the nrl experts)

Marc Brentnall Storm assistant (been With Bellamy for a number of years could be closest we could get to having Bellamy)

Jason Ryles Roosters assistant (next up and coming coach according nrl experts)

Shane Flanagan Dragons (don't like the bloke but he a gf winning coach someone that could get back us on track)

Andrew Ryan coaching in Newcastle comp (mate played under him said he is a brilliant coach and learnt so much off him reckon he could be a genuine nrl coach)

Shaun Wane England coach ( has stated he wants to coach in the nrl and has a really good recorded with Wigan)

Coach I wouldn't go
Paul Green (I wouldn't even bother with him has a reputation of pissing players off listening to willie mason podcast last year he said he was one off the worse coaches he ever had and lost the Cowboys dressing room early on )
I can confirm green isn’t a good bloke. Had him In my u18s team he onky came in twice to pep talk us but he was really egotistical

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Gus first started he said the team don't know how to win. Well Gus, you've been here since the start of the year and nothing has changed. Now, how about you do your job and change that losing culture?

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My mates son has a mate who his father knows a guy who knows a person that is close to a guy that knows a guy’s brother that knows the chairman and says baz is on the way out, true story.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eight or so new players are not going to click straight off the bat, every club has undermining from the other clubs, you gotta treat it with contempt for its motives.
Every week these guys are going to learn new tricks at the top level, we nearly competed.
After every loss you take the lesson out of it until you know what to do at that level.

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When Gus first started he said the team don't know how to win. Well Gus, you've been here since the start of the year and nothing has changed. Now, how about you do your job and change that losing culture?
This is so true. At Panthers he sacked Griffin when they were in the top 4 .

Sacking Barrett when we are in the bottom 4 should be a breeze compared to sacking Griffin

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We're not even competitive and don't look like a cohesive unit in attack or defence at any stage of any game. We couldn't be worse coached.. It's embarrassing. I'm worn out from watching this team for the past six years just somehow sink to new lows each year just when you think it can't get any worse.

Baz is now making the few rep calibre players we signed look like Reserve Graders. If this continues with more winnable games coming up, then he can't last til the end of the season. Baz is 4-26. Just cut your losses and appoint an interim coach before Baz does more damage.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still think most coaches will struggle with our roster.. need a good spine.. we have a dud hooker.. a halfback and a fullback with question marks..

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only qualified coach that will touch this sinkhole of a club would be Shane Flanagan due to Kyle being there. Any other decent coach will have learned their lesson from barrett and would be smarter than to involve them self in this dog shit club. Don’t let the tigers get Shane first.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Des was a bad coach for us, so we called for him to be gone, put Pay in charge. Gave Pay a shit team and no money to spend yet it was his fault we didn't improve so we called for him to go. We got Baz. He's had 1 year with the worst team in the comp, and 6 rounds with an improved team that is still getting used to each other. But it must be Baz is shit. So now he has to go.

Not saying Baz is a great coach, but he's barely out of the blocks here and I've always thought it's lazy thinking just to want the coach gone when things aren't going as well as expected. The rebuild isn't done yet so changing coach by itself, I dont see it changing much short term.

I'm reserving my judgement on Baz till end of this season at the soonest and believe the side will be even better next year when we turn over some more key positions and move on more deadwood

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Des was a bad coach for us, so we called for him to be gone, put Pay in charge. Gave Pay a shit team and no money to spend yet it was his fault we didn't improve so we called for him to go. We got Baz. He's had 1 year with the worst team in the comp, and 6 rounds with an improved team that is still getting used to each other. But it must be Baz is shit. So now he has to go.

Not saying Baz is a great coach, but he's barely out of the blocks here and I've always thought it's lazy thinking just to want the coach gone when things aren't going as well as expected. The rebuild isn't done yet so changing coach by itself, I dont see it changing much short term.

I'm reserving my judgement on Baz till end of this season at the soonest and believe the side will be even better next year when we turn over some more key positions and move on more deadwood
Whilst an unpopular statement - Des was not a bad coach for our club. Win rate 57% (and this takes in a couple of less than successful years at the back end). A couple of GFs and regular stints in the finals - a record we would love now. Love him or hate him - the guy can coach. Did he take the club for a ride towards the end? Perhaps. Did the hierarchy give him too much control? Yes. But the guy can coach and the club should have managed him better. Who knows where we could be now if the club stuck with him for the two year extension. We would have avoided the whole “this is not Pay’s roster” garbage (which has now snowballed to Barrett’s tenure).

Pay was a rookie head coach - nowhere the experience of Des. People were optimistic but to think he could take us to where Des took us was wishful thinking. Still, with a pretty basic roster over time, he still managed a 33% win rate and took us to a whisker of making the 8 in 2019.

Barrett: 14%. The club made a mistake signing this guy. We know how this ends. Enough said.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Whilst an unpopular statement - Des was not a bad coach for our club. Win rate 57% (and this takes in a couple of less than successful years at the back end). A couple of GFs and regular stints in the finals - a record we would love now. Love him or hate him - the guy can coach. Did he take the club for a ride towards the end? Perhaps. Did the hierarchy give him too much control? Yes. But the guy can coach and the club should have managed him better. Who knows where we could be now if the club stuck with him for the two year extension. We would have avoided the whole “this is not Pay’s roster” garbage (which has now snowballed to Barrett’s tenure).

Pay was a rookie head coach - nowhere the experience of Des. People were optimistic but to think he could take us to where Des took us was wishful thinking. Still, with a pretty basic roster over time, he still managed a 33% win rate and took us to a whisker of making the 8 in 2019.

Barrett: 14%. The club made a mistake signing this guy. We know how this ends. Enough said.
Biggest issue with Des is hes got a plan that's not flexible and his recruitment was abysmal. He held faith in shit players like Lichaa and let go good players. Des is a fine coach if he doesn't have to recruit. Give him a good side like we did at the start, and Manly have twice, he's great lol

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
BARRETT OUT... NOWW!!!!

Enough is enough, this guy can't coach. How many more rookie coaches will he lose to!!!!

Des & Pay had way better backroom staff. We have fucking Ned Kelly now. NED KELLY - LET THAT SINK IN. Man is strolling around with a muffin top as our fitness guru! THIS IS PEAK!!!! TIME TO GO!!!

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Des's coaching record is fine. Its who he bought to the club (player wise, coach wise &recruitment wise), how he killed off all junior pathways, how he wrecked our salary cap for 5 years via back ended deals & how he promised change but kept it all the same. So many red flags that his coaching record doesn't mean shit compared the cataclysmic damage he did to our club

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Des can Coach, he just used us and the $$$ to see how far he could take the moneyball concept. A concept he followed down the rabbit warren way too far. Went back to Manly with his learnings. Manly seem to be a little bit better this year in covering Turbo but they're a 1 man team.