Votes: 38 19.7%
  • Replace Tbaz with Flanagan at the end of the season

Votes: 14 7.3%

• Total voters

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually you are right in 2008, but 2012 he was lucky he had Barba who lifted the rest of the players with his enthusiasm - that was massive what Barba did for the club. The current Manly club are lifting with what Tommy Turbo is doing. To prove his value, when he was out with injury and rep duties earlier this year, they didn’t go that well. It’s amazing what certain people add to a team, the X-Factor. You can’t coach that.
I dunno mate I reckon if you can guide a team to a premiership, you’ve gotta be a pretty shrewd coach.

If you wanna discredit Des’ coaching abilities because he’s got Tommy Turbo to assist him then you may as well go and discredit all of Bellamys coaching achievements on account of he’s had multiple immortals to work with along the way.

You can have a strong roster, but there’s always a level of adversity to overcome throughout a footy season, and you’ve gotta consistently defeat your opposition, who are also often quite strong on paper.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone seriously believe that Bennett would be OK with having Gould as his boss? My guess would be no farkin way.

Always a Bulldog

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good players make coaches. Teams that win have the best players not the best coaches
5 GF’s and 2 Premierships as a coach and one as a player. Yep, lucky as fuck… Go tell North Sydney fans that…

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno mate I reckon if you can guide a team to a premiership, you’ve gotta be a pretty shrewd coach.

If you wanna discredit Des’ coaching abilities because he’s got Tommy Turbo to assist him then you may as well go and discredit all of Bellamys coaching achievements on account of he’s had multiple immortals to work with along the way.

You can have a strong roster, but there’s always a level of adversity to overcome throughout a footy season, and you’ve gotta consistently defeat your opposition, who are also often quite strong on paper.
I think we’ll agree to disagree on that. I’m not saying your wrong, I just think Des got lucky. I remember a story about Josh Reynolds and he’d been asked why he stopped grabber kicking and attacking the line. He was told by Des, “don’t attack, we just want to tackle the other team out of the game”. That sounds strange coming from a supposed good coach. He sounds like he’s been good at times, but strange in his choices in others. He ended ruining our club too - in the end.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
5 GF’s and 2 Premierships as a coach and one as a player. Yep, lucky as fuck… Go tell North Sydney fans that…
Not sure what you mean? Are you saying that there were no star players in those teams? Des is a good coach...but give him a poor list and he won't turn it into a top 4 side.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Des Hasler the best example of this lol
I don’t think anyone can deny that Hasler turned Manly into a premiership force when he arrived as coach in the mid 2000’s.

A pretty amazing feat given Manly were no financial powerhouse.

His time at the dogs might have been mixed, particularly in the last couple of years - but a 57% win rate at the dogs is not too bad in the modern game.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone still backing Barrett by now Im sure has seen its not the roster.

Him constantly playing katoa literally lost us this game.

HE MUST GO

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
he keeps playing people that singlehandedly lose us the game.
Yeah look, Katoa getting game time after all the shit he's served up for us this season is a joke

But sacking Barrett now at the back end of his first season, heading into our first promising season in 2022, after a dozen players have just signed to play under his coaching, and with there being no apparent good choice for a replacement, sounds way more destabilising for us for next season.

By all means sack him this time next year if we are in the same position. At least we can breathe a sigh of relief that Sione Katoa won't be anywhere near our squad.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
LMAO again, Knockonbore. If it was a schoolgirls panties he would've caught it!

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone still backing Barrett by now Im sure has seen its not the roster.

Him constantly playing katoa literally lost us this game.

HE MUST GO
The game was lost long before Katoa came on. Schoupp was the only player who looked any good all game. If the roster isn't the problem, you must have a lot of good things to say about every other player's performance today.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah look, Katoa getting game time after all the shit he's served up for us this season is a joke

But sacking Barrett now at the back end of his first season, heading into our first promising season in 2022, after a dozen players have just signed to play under his coaching, and with there being no apparent good choice for a replacement, sounds way more destabilising for us for next season.

By all means sack him this time next year if we are in the same position. At least we can breathe a sigh of relief that Sione Katoa won't be anywhere near our squad.
fair enough.

Feel bad for the dopes that signed just to play under him.

Next year is going to be a disaster.