Opinion Rule Changes you would like to see

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree a legs tackle should be rewarded, but a better way to do it rather than reducing the 10 meters to 5 meters is for it to be treated the same way as a surrender tackle, i.e. defender or second man in can hold attacker down and/or ball can’t be played until legs tackler is at marker

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So my idea is to change the rules to give a reward for a good around the legs tackle. If a ball carrier is tackled by one person and below the waist, the defending players only need to retreat 5 metres instead of 10.
Whilst I strongly agree with the premise I think it is too hard for the refs to police multiple offside distances (they have enough trouble counting to the 10 metres now, adding a 5 metres would just make it worse). We have different lengths of time now for the tackler/s to clear the play ball (eg; dominant tackle, surrender etc). A clean tackle around the legs should be a called as a "dominant" tackle, thus slowing down the play the ball and giving the defence a reward for a good tackle. No change in rules required, just the refs call "dominant" tackle same as they do now.

I also think the absence of low tackles is due to players avoiding the risk of getting kicked in the face after executing the tackle. When implemented, the tackled player lashing out would also be not allowed with the "dominant" call. It should be an automatic penalty to the defensive team.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The game has become outright rubbish, scrap the whole thing and start completely anew. New Admin, no private ownership, no billionaires involved, instill rules which ensure that the fans own and control the club.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
7 tackle sets are needed, otherwise teams just boot the shit out of it over the dead ball line on the 5th, and teams (like Souths/Roosters/Storm) stand offside the next defending set of 6 and pin the team down in this half. 20m tap does nothing to nullify this.

Game only ever introduces rules that they can use to swing results in favour of betting companies.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
7 tackle set is lame.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
7 tackle sets are needed, otherwise teams just boot the shit out of it over the dead ball line on the 5th, and teams (like Souths/Roosters/Storm) stand offside the next defending set of 6 and pin the team down in this half. 20m tap does nothing to nullify this.

Game only ever introduces rules that they can use to swing results in favour of betting companies.
I don’t mind the rule but not for grabbers. Maybe for kicks 40 m and over out, have the 7 tackle re start.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Go back to 1 Ref so players can get a feel for the game not the bipolar system we have now

Allow markers to rake the ball back, you see less sloppy play the balls and would bring back a bit of unknown to the game

Limit what infringements you can take penalty goals for

Any suspected HIA rorts to be reviewed for actual head knock and a 1 match suspension for player if found guilty and coach to be fined

No 7 tackle set if the ball is kicked from inside the 20m area

Bring in the captains challenge 1 review per half per team like cricket if review upheld you keep your review

Bring back the tap and run if no marker

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Get rid of the 7 tackle set if you kick the ball goes dead. It is way to big of a punishment for something as simple as over hitting a grubber.

The whole momentum in games swings on it sometimes.
Agree and players don't do it as much due to not wanting to concede a 7 tackle set should just be stand tackle set restart from th 20m

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Foward pass ruling should be changed to if the ball goes foward it's a foward pass. Give a fuck if the hands were going backwards. Ass sniff Annasley this week saying there is nothing we can do because some balls float fowards after being passed backwards and that we don't have a the technology to pick up what direction the passers hands were facing. Make it black or white call no grey area where they can defend a reffs call because he seen the hands passing back but the cameras didn't show it. If it's changed to the ball going fowards is a foward pass the bunker can look at withing seconds and give a ruling

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cant beleive Im saying this but maybe all tries should be reviewed by the bunker. Refs are too inconsistent.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Foward pass ruling should be changed to if the ball goes foward it's a foward pass. Give a fuck if the hands were going backwards. Ass sniff Annasley this week saying there is nothing we can do because some balls float fowards after being passed backwards and that we don't have a the technology to pick up what direction the passers hands were facing. Make it black or white call no grey area where they can defend a reffs call because he seen the hands passing back but the cameras didn't show it. If it's changed to the ball going fowards is a foward pass the bunker can look at withing seconds and give a ruling
I played in more than one game where it was blowing a gale and I'd pass the ball backwards 10 metres and it would then float forward 12 metres, hardly a forward pass. Plus when a player is running and they pass it backwards it will move forwards with their momentum. In both cases the bunker can still adjudicate on the direction of the pass, and should be allowed to do so. Simplistically drawing a line on the field and calling a pass forward based on where it was passed compared to where it was caught isn't always a true representation.

Go Dogs

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think the Bunker should be able to rule on forward passes if t hey are as obvious as daylight.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lots off great ideas here, but one thing i would also float out there is making the scrum a scrum... fed down the middle... make the packs actually drive, make the hookers try and win against the feed...

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This:

Differential penalty

A penalty that may not be kicked for goal by the team to which it is awarded.[11] This kind of penalty is awarded when technical rule breaches (i.e. not foul play or obscene language) are committed during the time a scrum exists.[12] A differential penalty can be award against any player, whether in the scrum or outside.[12]
Should be extended to play the ball infringements. For the integrity of the game. Play the ball penalties are often controversial, and referees have given them with the subsequent penalty goal deciding the game.

It often looks like a referee deciding the game, ie. match fixing. I don't understand how something so obvious has not been addressed. There is an arrogance about the NRL administration that refuses to tidy up potential match fixing loop holes because it won't entertain the notion that referees might ever lack integrity.

Agree on the seven tackle set being removed.

I also don't understand why a penalty involves both a metre gaining kick and a reset of the tackle count. It might have made sense in the early days, where there was still a rugby union mentality of rolling sets, balls werent so light and players able to kick them so far.

How about the receiving team electing either a metre gaining kick with no reset (or gimmicky one or other notional amount tackle reset) or a reset of the tackle count? Again, this especially is in defence of play the ball infringement penalties which drive me batshit crazy. Referees have a less than 50/50 strike rate in getting these right in my opinion. There is little the game has been able to do to tidy the play balls up, even with various crackdowns. This favouring the attacking team culture in the rules is such nonsense, because tackled players are often the infringers, walking of the mark, playing the ball incorrectly... Yet refs go "probably the defensive players fault, blow a penalty against". And the there is a double whammy punishment for a highly subjective call.

I have more... I can't remember then at the moment.

Oh, and let's just make the forward pass rule simple. Watch some old games, and it is obvious the reason the rule is that the ball allowed to float ahead from where it was thrown, if it had first been propelled backwards. Due to the reduced athletism, the game was more expansive, passing movements were not as practised and crisp as the modern game and balls passed out wide could float and catch the wind. Especially in more open stadiums than today's modern arenas. Just put the onus on the attacking team to ensure their passes hit a player behind the line from which it was passed...Including if a backward pass goes to ground. The attacker must dive on it before it ends up ahead of the line to avoid a forward pass/ knockon.

Also the knock on by the Broncos full back last year... The player knocked it forward of himself, but as he was jumping back, the ball also went back and the ref had a technical out. It was still an incorrect call, but if they make the rule clear that a player losing control of a ball ahead of the line they were in is a forward pass/ knock on then that's that. Sadly it would mean a player running onto a pass that doesn't.ake an immediate clean grasp but regains ahead of the defensive line, has knocked on... This is suboptimal, but what happened against the Broncos needed a clear cut rule to counter the "ball propelled backwards" nonsense.

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
HIA is a rort too, something needs to be done there. Blokes are gassed or complaining about a sore toe, HIA get him off
Parra and Souffs are experts at it. Don't know how many times you see it when a bloke is holding a shoulder and he goes HIA.