Rule changes for player's welfare

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a discussion point (if anyone cares).. but after just watching some "boxing" highlights from the Gallen fight night it got me thinking about how ridiculous it is that the NRL has introduced all these stupid rules to protect the players welfare, yet let them go and box professionally (I use that term very loosely).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just a discussion point (if anyone cares).. but after just watching some "boxing" highlights from the Gallen fight night it got me thinking about how ridiculous it is that the NRL has introduced all these stupid rules to protect the players welfare, yet let them go and box professionally (I use that term very loosely).
It does seem a bit hypocritical ethics/player safety wise.

Just have to hope there's no issues that they open themselves up for re litigation, and the influence of ambulance chasing solicitors.

I'd be happier to see them just stick to league while they are contracted to the Bulldogs.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering how serious the NRL are now with concussions/head knocks, mandatory sit down weeks for multiple concussions, and future CTE injuries, it does confuse me how the NRL are happy to have contracted players voluntarily smacked around the head with padded gloves.

If that's okay, may as well bring back the shoulder charges and big hits, else it makes them incredibly hypocritical.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering how serious the NRL are now with concussions/head knocks, mandatory sit down weeks for multiple concussions, and future CTE injuries, it does confuse me how the NRL are happy to have contracted players voluntarily smacked around the head with padded gloves.

If that's okay, may as well bring back the shoulder charges and big hits, else it makes them incredibly hypocritical.
Surely if UFC can embed watertight waivers, the NRL can too.
The boys know what they are getting in to and are paid well for the privilege.
I think most of them would like to play under the older rules TBH.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not about players welfare it’s about safe guarding the NRL from any future litigation.
Very good point. Maybe the NRL would be happy for every player to take up boxing cause that way boxing can be blamed for any adverse health relating to head knocks.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Bottom line, the NRL can not legally stop players earning money outside of football. That's why TPA's exist.

Always a Bulldog

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line, the NRL can not legally stop players earning money outside of football. That's why TPA's exist.

Always a Bulldog
What about TPA's that are getting them $xxx,xxx for doing a boxing match?

Interesting potential salary cap cheat there.