RULE CHANGES AND MORE RULE CHANGES

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sooner or later the NRL will turn into touch footy. Not even kidding, actually maybe oz tag first, then touch footy.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually there is a way. A breakaway super league with genuine traditional rules, but they'd have to do it soon before rugby league is lost to these fvcking stooges in charge.
I think its possible if 1 or 2 big boys get together. These rule changes are going to ensure that the struggling teams are going to remain just that struggling for ever and a day. Us and the Tigers in Sydney for a start, plus defunct clubs like the Bears, Newtown Illawara, and 1 more Sydney based team would be a good start.
I can't see the logistics of starting a new comp as been too difficult, my Father used to tell me that no one has a monopoly on brains
I would much rather my club be a genuine contender in a lesser uncorrupted comp than been cannon fodder in an eliete comp.
Some years ago Ch10 made a determined bid for the rights to the game but lost out to Ch9, I'd be confident that they would still have some interest in telivising a new game.
With the NRL making so many panic decissions, makes it obvious to me that RL as it currently is is a dying sport anyway

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be prepared to argue that every rule change in the last ten or so years has pushed it towards being something the referees can manipulate. Rules need to be black and white, not open to interpretation by a referee and every change has opened up more grey areas for referee interpretation. This six again bullshit might just be the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people. The six again just confuses people and life long fans of the game don't really take well to thinking they don't know why the fuck someone is being penalised.

The thing is though, if you're a Peter Vlandys who is only going to be involved in the game for 2-5 years, you don't give a shit if you upset the fans when the gambling sponsors are potentially going to pay bonuses if you allow themn to rig the games for maximum profit.

I hit the point early this season where I stopped even trying to watch our games let alone other games. The six again rules just took the contest out of it. Even vastly understrength teams could pull off upsets prior to this change, now it's virtually impossible when the refs can just blow repeat sets for reasons only they can see. Fatigue pretty much prevents those upsets and it's something they can easily control now. I think it's going to take a spectacular start to the season from our side for me to actually want to watch games again. I just have no interest in a rigged competition. Even if we're winning it'll be hard to feel good about it if it's due to referees giving us a leg up.
Thanks for a well thoughtout post, Trent Barrett said in his mid week presser that prior to the rule changes every team which was struggling on the field, had an oppurtunity to regroup and fight back and sometines cause an upset. nowdays a fatigued struggling team has no chance of fighting back...

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for a well thoughtout post, Trent Barrett said in his mid week presser that prior to the rule changes every team which was struggling on the field, had an oppurtunity to regroup and fight back and sometines cause an upset. nowdays a fatigued struggling team has no chance of fighting back...
I also saw it in 2 other ways.
1. Take away the time captains had to query or debate decisions with referees, a la Cameron Smith.
2. Not give the live TV broadcasters time to show replays of decisions that could go either way, such as was it lost or stripped which can be 50-50's a lot of the time.

Decisions on the run such as 6 agains gives no time for these scenarios to occur and deflects attention from the referee, unless they are discussed by commentators at half or full time.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If anyone knows the mailing address of the rugby league innovation committe please forward this to them for me.

Dear rugby league innovation committee.
It has come to my attention that once again plans have been afoot to add further changes to the game to make it more entertaining. As a fan of the game for the last 40 years, I can honestly say that it has never been less entertaining than it is in it's current state. If anything is clear from my time on league forums, fans would much rather you roll back many of the changes implemented in the last ten or so years that leave rules with referee interpretation. Rules need to be black and white.

I shall provide some examples
Shepphard- If you are in posession of the ball and run behind your team mate you lose posession. No such thing as "play wasn't affected". All interpretation does is create a shitfight where certain players will milk penalties by running into defenders while others won't get a penalty because the referee has interpreted that they wouldn't have gotten to the ball carrier anyway. A black and white rule of "you run behind a team mate and you are penalised and lose posession" would make fans happy because it's clear cut and applies to every team.

The repeat set rule needs to be scrapped completely. At no time in the history of the game has it felt like referees have more opportunity to sway a game. two to three teams fans may enjoy the spectacle of seeing their team rack up cricket scores week in week out, nearly every other teams fans hate the rules. There is no arm wrestle when referees in their 'infinite wisdom' (please note the words in speach marks are sarcasm) can continually give teams repeat sets on the fly with little to no explanation or time to adjust to the situation. We as fans aren't that desperate to see 30-60 unanswered points scored in a match if it's because one team is forced to make an extra 70 to 80 tackles because they get sloppy in technique after having started the game doing a mountain of defence.

In closing I'd like to say that the game that was played 20, 30, 40 years ago was a great product. Scrums were once an interesting sub competition, we fans enjoyed seeing some big hits and shoulder charges and the rules were clear cut. You didn't see poor sportmanship and diving used to draw penalties where grey areas gave referees discretion to award a penalty for something they didn't take notice of in the first instance. If in your infinite wisdom as a member of the innovation committee you feel the need to impement further gimmicks and new grey areas, please go buy your wife a 12 inch strap on dildo and insist that she use it forcefully on your rectum so you know how we as fans feel when you change our game.
Yours sincerely a soon to be former fan of rugby league.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If anyone knows the mailing address of the rugby league innovation committe please forward this to them for me.

Dear rugby league innovation committee.
It has come to my attention that once again plans have been afoot to add further changes to the game to make it more entertaining. As a fan of the game for the last 40 years, I can honestly say that it has never been less entertaining than it is in it's current state. If anything is clear from my time on league forums, fans would much rather you roll back many of the changes implemented in the last ten or so years that leave rules with referee interpretation. Rules need to be black and white.

I shall provide some examples
Shepphard- If you are in posession of the ball and run behind your team mate you lose posession. No such thing as "play wasn't affected". All interpretation does is create a shitfight where certain players will milk penalties by running into defenders while others won't get a penalty because the referee has interpreted that they wouldn't have gotten to the ball carrier anyway. A black and white rule of "you run behind a team mate and you are penalised and lose posession" would make fans happy because it's clear cut and applies to every team.

The repeat set rule needs to be scrapped completely. At no time in the history of the game has it felt like referees have more opportunity to sway a game. two to three teams fans may enjoy the spectacle of seeing their team rack up cricket scores week in week out, nearly every other teams fans hate the rules. There is no arm wrestle when referees in their 'infinite wisdom' (please note the words in speach marks are sarcasm) can continually give teams repeat sets on the fly with little to no explanation or time to adjust to the situation. We as fans aren't that desperate to see 30-60 unanswered points scored in a match if it's because one team is forced to make an extra 70 to 80 tackles because they get sloppy in technique after having started the game doing a mountain of defence.

In closing I'd like to say that the game that was played 20, 30, 40 years ago was a great product. Scrums were once an interesting sub competition, we fans enjoyed seeing some big hits and shoulder charges and the rules were clear cut. You didn't see poor sportmanship and diving used to draw penalties where grey areas gave referees discretion to award a penalty for something they didn't take notice of in the first instance. If in your infinite wisdom as a member of the innovation committee you feel the need to impement further gimmicks and new grey areas, please go buy your wife a 12 inch strap on dildo and insist that she use it forcefully on your rectum so you know how we as fans feel when you change our game.
Yours sincerely a soon to be former fan of rugby league.
Another well thought out, direct, and straight to the point post Al Pal.

A person with any Rugby League intelligence would back your thoughts 100%.

Far too intelligent though for the NRL heavies, who no doubt will lurch from one debacle to another with more rule changes as time goes on.

Time to clean out the NRL and put people in their place who view what's on the field as a game and not a product.

The game wasn't broke so why fix it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The game needs to be treated like a computer where you do a restart from the last point it was good. Mid to late 90's and very early 2000's was the last time the footy was good.
It needs a cold boot.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be not be popular but I would go as far as saying bring back the twelve man interchange. Harder hits and epic battles of the behemoth’s.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Hi Sandra, big fan. Just wondering if you still get those baby penis facials.

Hi chrisdog.

Thanks for your ongoing support. I appreciate all of my fans.

During these lockdowns, it's been particularly difficult to source babies' foreskins. My doctors have had to rely on Bondi Covid-breachers for supplies, on top of paying inflated prices for a high-in-demand product.
So to answer your question, yes I am still using baby foreskins albeit less liberally than I would have liked. But I will get through this.
We all can.

Sending positive vibes your way and to all my fans around the world.

Kind regards,
SB.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi chrisdog.

During these lockdowns, it's been particularly difficult to source babies' foreskins. My doctors have had to rely on Bondi Covid-breachers for supplies, on top of paying inflated prices for a high-in-demand product.
So to answer your question, yes I am still using baby foreskins albeit less liberally than I would have liked. But I will get through this.
We all can.

Kind regards,
SB.
Sorry Sandra, I must be older that my birth certificate says, I though I knew what foreskins were and when they were cut off they were thrown away, but now I'm confused

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi chrisdog.

We all can.

Kind regards,
SB.
Great to hear. And by the way, if you are ever here in Australia, I have a toilet cubicle with your name on it!:hearteyes:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw a little of NRL 369 last night, not that I like him but Paul Kent said that the NRL should go back to around 1994-5 and model the game on what it was then. I really enjoied the game then but now mmmmm.

WestenBulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think they, the administrators have over complicated a very simple game. I’ve loved rugby league ever since I moved to NSW and watched the 79 grand final and have supported the Dogs ever since.

I think it’s over governed. I think the game needs the softening up period between the forwards and then the small / faster players take over when fatigue sets in. In some ways it’s almost like continuous touch now, and over refereed.

Yes I agree with the clamping down on the tackles around the head, but let’s just get it back to the way it was, a physical contest between two teams competing at the highest level.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’ve lost me this year…this 7 tackle bullshit for kicking the ball into touch? WTF? Why????
I’m with you. Bunch of childish fuckwits tinkering for the sake of being seen to do something.
Baseless garbage changes with no sense at all,

And a two point field goal? Why?
And pls don’t gets me started on set-restarts.
Nrl blowouts! Idiots!!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m with you. Bunch of childish fuckwits tinkering for the sake of being seen to do something.
Baseless garbage changes with no sense at all,

And a two point field goal? Why?
And pls don’t gets me started on set-restarts.
Nrl blowouts! Idiots!!
It's like people need to justify their positions by changing the rules. They should change the rules back & change the DHs who keep coming up with this crap. Yes I'm looking at you Wayne Pearce, father of dog rooter.