Rugby league world cup

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
France has pulled out due to financial pressure which is a real shame.

Should they just scrap the world cup and play a six nations tournament? Saves cash which could be used in other areas to grow the game and you avoid seeing cricket scores.

Aus, Eng, Sam

Nz, Tonga, Fiji

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
France has pulled out due to financial pressure which is a real shame.

Should they just scrap the world cup and play a six nations tournament? Saves cash which could be used in other areas to grow the game and you avoid seeing cricket scores.

Aus, Eng, Sam

Nz, Tonga, Fiji
Add PNG and Lebanon.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon a World Cup of England, NZ, Australia, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG and Lebanon is a competitive tournament. You could maybe add Cook Islands too and then have a play off between France/Ireland/Scotland and Wales to make it 10 countries. WC should only be held in Aus, NZ or England. It’s not viable anywhere else. With the rise of the Pacific. All Samoa or Tonga games in the smaller stadiums would be sell outs in Aus and NZ.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Play in Australia or NZ, during the off season not England or France etc where the sport doesn’t have the fan base like here.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon a World Cup of England, NZ, Australia, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG and Lebanon is a competitive tournament. You could maybe add Cook Islands too and then have a play off between France/Ireland/Scotland and Wales to make it 10 countries. WC should only be held in Aus, NZ or England. It’s not viable anywhere else. With the rise of the Pacific. All Samoa or Tonga games in the smaller stadiums would be sell outs in Aus and NZ.
Are you mad?
You need any World Cup to have France as a guarantee.
France has their one local players and first and reserve grade and are financially struggling and getting bullied by Union.
Nate Dawg wants to genocide the game in France.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was saying the whole World Cup that ideally it's an 8 team tournament with a sperate developing nations tournament for the other teams. This way more games are competitive, you get less 60 point blowouts and you don't waste 3/4 of the tournament to see the games you want to see..

France haven't really been competitive for years anyway, so it's no great loss.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I could not possibly care less about any kind of international rugby league. There just isn't close to enough talent to spread across that many countries to make it even half interesting.

Plus who can cheer hard for their Origin team then support the opposite teams players in an Aussie squad? Not me.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are you mad?
You need any World Cup to have France as a guarantee.
France has their one local players and first and reserve grade and are financially struggling and getting bullied by Union.
Nate Dawg wants to genocide the game in France.
Unfortunately, the game is dead in France

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
France haven't really been competitive for years anyway, so it's no great loss.
This is so frustrating how small minded league fans are.
As bad as America with the World Series.
France are one of only three countries with a professional rugby league setup of home grown players.
They are the subject of attacks from rugby Union.
They sit 20th on the lid of government funded sport in France …. Out of 20.
They are a team that would regularly beats Australia only decades ago.

They are worth more to the sport than all the pacific islands combined.

I’d rather cheer an actual league country than see Jerome Luai prance around about how Samoan he is because he has a grandmother born there

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I wish they would have a mini comp of NZ, Samoa, Tonga and PNG during origin.
I’ve been saying that for many years. Put Origin on 3 straight Sundays. On the rest of the weekend run 2 different 4 nations tournaments. Division One consisting of New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga & PNG. Division Two consisting of Fiji, Cook Islands, Lebanon & ROTW. Whoever finishes last in Division One gets relegated the next season with the Division two winner being promoted.

Would give the TV companies enough games to not complain & wouldn’t force NRL teams to play games without their Origin players.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is so frustrating how small minded league fans are.
As bad as America with the World Series.
France are one of only three countries with a professional rugby league setup of home grown players.
They are the subject of attacks from rugby Union.
They sit 20th on the lid of government funded sport in France …. Out of 20.
They are a team that would regularly beats Australia only decades ago.

They are worth more to the sport than all the pacific islands combined.

I’d rather cheer an actual league country than see Jerome Luai prance around about how Samoan he is because he has a grandmother born there
You prance around saying you’re Lebanese when you are Indian or at least pretending to be. Samoans are intrinsically connected to Samoa even when not born there. Don’t speak on things you don’t understand

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Such a same for the French rugby league.

I think a 10 team tournament is the way to go for this next one.