Rugby League World Cup - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

Wire Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fitler's latest pearl of wisdom, this on SOO debate with so many NSW players playing for Samoa, Tonga, and Fiji:

"For both games to flourish, if you're born in NSW or Queensland at a certain age – at the moment it's 13 – then you should be eligible to play for NSW or Queensland.

So, according to Brad, you need to be born at the age of 13 to play for NSW or Queensland. That is REALLY gonna cut down eligibility...

Source

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Regarding the SOO debate - Pasifika people are extra passionate about state of origin. I have seen punch ups amongst friends and family and arguments between family members where they don't talk for years after a SOO argument. There is no way that any Pasifika player that plays for NSW or QLD will not be passionate about their state even of they choose to play for Samoa, Tonga etc. So keeping the game alive as a spectacle of passion and star players wont be impacted. I think the main concern from an Australian perspective is that it will develop Samoa and Tonga at the expense of the Kangaroos. Which is a valid concern. But the alternative is that all Pacific teams will go backwards and the Kangaroos dominance will increase and there will be no point playing internationals.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Regarding the SOO debate - Pasifika people are extra passionate about state of origin. I have seen punch ups amongst friends and family and arguments between family members where they don't talk for years after a SOO argument. There is no way that any Pasifika player that plays for NSW or QLD will not be passionate about their state even of they choose to play for Samoa, Tonga etc. So keeping the game alive as a spectacle of passion and star players wont be impacted. I think the main concern from an Australian perspective is that it will develop Samoa and Tonga at the expense of the Kangaroos. Which is a valid concern. But the alternative is that all Pacific teams will go backwards and the Kangaroos dominance will increase and there will be no point playing internationals.
SOO as it exists cannot survive indefinitely, but it could be part of a larger scheme to help create more competition at international level. Some of the ideas around this are unworkable, but it is certainly time to work out what representative footy will look like in five years time.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
SOO as it exists cannot survive indefinitely, but it could be part of a larger scheme to help create more competition at international level. Some of the ideas around this are unworkable, but it is certainly time to work out what representative footy will look like in five years time.
I agree bro but I enjoy international football. I know alot that couldnt care less about anything other than the NRL.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i don't know why the criteria can't be completely separate. I'm sure you can be passionate and play for NSW or QLD and then play for another country. SOO isn't a selection trial for the Kangaroos.

What i do think is shit is players switching countries willy-nilly and/or trying their arm at Australia and then going to play somewhere else if they don't get picked. Whilst i don't think you necessarily have to ba citizen or PR, you need to have a bit more of a connection than your grandad being from there. At least be able to show you've actually been to the country you're claiming to "represent".

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree bro but I enjoy international football. I know alot that couldnt care less about anything other than the NRL.
I'd love to see more international football. Fact is that there are amateur leagues in a bunch of countries. For there to be any chance of the sport growing at international level there needs to be some more concerted effort. But you can't reach goals if you don't first set them. For the long term good of the sport we need to get to a point where a representative NSW or QLD team would be underdogs against at least 4 or 5 non-Australia international teams.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i don't know why the criteria can't be completely separate. I'm sure you can be passionate and play for NSW or QLD and then play for another country. SOO isn't a selection trial for the Kangaroos.

What i do think is shit is players switching countries willy-nilly and/or trying their arm at Australia and then going to play somewhere else if they don't get picked. Whilst i don't think you necessarily have to ba citizen or PR, you need to have a bit more of a connection than your grandad being from there. At least be able to show you've actually been to the country you're claiming to "represent".
There is a term used in Samoan called 'le Va', the word literally translates to the 'space between' but it refers to the connections, obligations, relationships - with the space between not being empty but how the space connects from wherever you are physically, spiritually etc. to family and ancestors. It is difficult to explain in English. But basically, a Samoan is born in Australia may have only gone to Samoa once or twice but they are connected through connection to land, to family, to land and to churches. The connection to Samoa is quite strong and the identity of a kid born in Australia or New Zealand or the US is that they are Samoan first - community is very strong. This is just an example of why it is not as simple as the Grandad rule for Samoans. I think there are very similar concepts across all Pacific cultures.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There is a term used in Samoan called 'le Va', the word literally translates to the 'space between' but it refers to the connections, obligations, relationships - with the space between not being empty but how the space connects from wherever you are physically, spiritually etc. to family and ancestors. It is difficult to explain in English. But basically, a Samoan is born in Australia may have only gone to Samoa once or twice but they are connected through connection to land, to family, to land and to churches. The connection to Samoa is quite strong and the identity of a kid born in Australia or New Zealand or the US is that they are Samoan first - community is very strong. This is just an example of why it is not as simple as the Grandad rule for Samoans. I think there are very similar concepts across all Pacific cultures.
What's ufa kefe?!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

i disagree I don’t think you need to have visited a country to feel a belonging, if a grandparent is from
A certain country that is more then enough to feel a belonging and a connection.

the league needs to stop being backwards and make these eligibility changes asap. Not only will it help Samoa or Tonga but also néw Zealand