News Rugby league legend Steve Mortimer reveals he is battling dementia

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
would not surprise me if the NRL requested this be withheld from the public until after the changes for Magic Round. Maybe PR got a hold of it and told them we should be doing something more before this comes out. I guess that could explain why it was implemented mid season rather than at the beginning, noise was about lawyers and litigation but that may have followed on from reactions to this being discussed behind closed doors in HO

I echo the thoughts for Turvey my old man is also suffering through it at the moment. It not just terrible for the individuals involved but the stresses it puts on families and relationships.
All the best to you old man and family.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Terrible news for a legend of the game. I wish him all the best!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Ray Warren being a Parramatta supporter helped Sterlo's career a lot. They were different players. Mortimer more spark & Sterlo more game management.
Mortimer was the complete half. Best running game of any half in any era and he had a great passing and kicking game. Watch the 85 GF and see how he pinned St George in their own goal line repeatedly. Sterlo had great passing and kicking game helped by his backline but his running game compared to Mortimer was non existent.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An
Rubbish. The game has never been as soft. Back in the day Steve was playing when a player was concussed they’d be given smelling salts and thrown back into the match. The game this era is as safe as its ever been and never needed the crackdown. We have doctors at the ground reviewing footage, concussion protocols where a player mandatory sits two weeks out etc the game has already done above and beyond to protect players. NRL is so afraid of the liability from the old days. It’s a contract sport FFS
And how do you know those protocols are enough to protect the players ?
The doctors themselves don’t know enough about CTE to advise the exact cause. They are now leaning to multiple sub-concussive events as being the cause...... hence their current approach.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was thinking more the physics of fast motion in a direction and then a sudden stop. Not sure but I believe the brain keeps moving in a forwards direction then bangs up against the skull?

Of course thats applicable with all motion...not just rugby league :grinning:
Correct. Law of Physics known as the Conservation of Momentum. However nature has an answer that will greatly reduce the affects of collisions in woodpeckers. Engineers and scientists have known about this for some time but it hasn't filtered down to sports yet.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Correct. Law of Physics known as the Conservation of Momentum. However nature has an answer that will greatly reduce the affects of collisions in woodpeckers. Engineers and scientists have known about this for some time but it hasn't filtered down to sports yet.
That's true. Never tbought of them. How do they do it :grinning:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Best of luck Turvey. We were blessed having had you play for us mate. You are our GOAT.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true. Never tbought of them. How do they do it :grinning:
Woodpeckers have a unique anatomy where the beak and the skull are not joined together but separated by a spongy cartilage that acts as a shock absorber and their honeycomb like structure provide protection from impact in all directions. What God created is still too complex for humans to replicate.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
70% of concussions are caused to the tacklers.
So should they get rid of tackling too ?

I played for 21 years , and I got hit more in the head from defending then I did running with the ball
Hey mate, where you get that figure?
Curiuos to know whether the percentages have changed much over the years with differant rule changes, the eliminating of shoulder charges etc.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mortimer was the complete half. Best running game of any half in any era and he had a great passing and kicking game. Watch the 85 GF and see how he pinned St George in their own goal line repeatedly. Sterlo had great passing and kicking game helped by his backline but his running game compared to Mortimer was non existent.
I think a lot the media liked his long blonde hair & compare that to a red head!

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I partly disagree, while I think we'll thought out measures should be put on place to reduce the risk of concussion, I think Vlan has rushed this with out the proper process to support it.

First they say any contact with the head is 10 in the bin - that's fine - but it's not consistent- and if it was you'd see some teams down to 9 or 10 players.

Secondly they say they will adjudicate on the run and the vid ref will notify of head contact with a delayed penalty- that's fine - but again it's not consistent.

Third they now have players milking penalties like all get out.

4th they have a judiciary that doesn't know if it's coming or going with gradings, which will eventually allow all players off due to precedent.

There has been no foresight when implementing this which has resulted in poor structure supporting it.
Is that you Des?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
For sure need to try and stop so many head highs. That wasnt my point. Totally agree.

It was the suspension side of things.

It seems the following teams in the comp gets the benefit of players suspended and the team who got their player injured is left out without the same benefit. Not sure what they can do.

A points system where if the team gets to say 100 points of head high occurrences they lose a point (just joking for those gonna be gettin all upset).

Controversial but coaches would make it work....except its another way for refs to pick on us :grinning:
Oh sorry. I misunderstood you. I don’t know what can be done about the inconsistency of the judiciary (or refereeing for that matter.) I think for consistency to be achieved, it first must be desired.

J_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey mate, where you get that figure?
Curiuos to know whether the percentages have changed much over the years with differant rule changes, the eliminating of shoulder charges etc.
Nrl physio on Twitter his account is official ,.he posted it on twitter last week

Last edited:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was with a heavy heart when I read this article.
I converted to a Dogs fan in the 70's when I saw Turvey run rings around the opposition. Will always be the best player I've ever seen. No one before or since Turvey can do what he did on the field - blinding acceleration to regularly score tries/break the line from dummy half, chip and regather, best cover tackler of all time, great passing and kicking game. Absolute match winner, incomparable leader and won 4 GF - a bulldogs record and far superior GF record to many great HB including "immortal" Johns, "future immortal" Thurston, Stuart etc.
As bad as our side has been for nearly a decade imagine being a dogs supporter from 1943 to the late 1970's where they didn't win a GF. We won half of our 8 GF during Turvey's 13 years because of this great man. My prayers are with you Steve Mortimer - the real immortal of rugby league.
as said, this is perfect.

yes I grew up in the area, but I am a Dogs fan because of Turvey. He IS THE GREATEST PLAYER I’ve seen since probably Smith came along.

he did so much, and because he was not a Channel 9 stooge will never be in the “Immortal@ conversation.

my favourite EVER sportsman. Had it all and won comps and origins with him.

thank you Turvey

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Full respect to the archbishop of Canterbury. Got in more punch ups with mates defending him as the best against Sterlo than I ever did defending my missus :o

Will say this though - both my inlaws parents have/had dementia earlier than Turvey. Fairly sure neither had repetitive head knocks. Not saying repeated head knocks don't contribute/cause it but think its a real shame to bring him out in this condition to push an agenda (no matter how right or wrong that agenda is).

True legend of the blue and white. Cannot remember half of the 1980's myself (yes - I partied a LOT) but seeing him chasing down Grothe in cover with the boots and all tackle is an image that will never leave my head. I'll always remember the good times he provided and hope he gets the help he needs at what must be a difficult time.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full respect to the archbishop of Canterbury. Got in more punch ups with mates defending him as the best against Sterlo than I ever did defending my missus :o

Will say this though - both my inlaws parents have/had dementia earlier than Turvey. Fairly sure neither had repetitive head knocks. Not saying repeated head knocks don't contribute/cause it but think its a real shame to bring him out in this condition to push an agenda (no matter how right or wrong that agenda is).

True legend of the blue and white. Cannot remember half of the 1980's myself (yes - I partied a LOT) but seeing him chasing down Grothe in cover with the boots and all tackle is an image that will never leave my head. I'll always remember the good times he provided and hope he gets the help he needs at what must be a difficult time.
I love your post as I did the same thing getting in to punch ups to defend my hero, the biggest was at the 1979 Grand Final, where I had a big punch up with this huge ST George supporter, we were niggling each other before the game, and then he called Steve Mortimer a big cat and It was just after ST George scored their first try, ( which infuriated me even more ) and it was on for young and old, lucky it was broken up before security & the cops got there, Anyway unfortunately we lost the game after a courage's comeback by "the entertainers" but the good news is I won the fight. Needless to say that was my last live Grand Final since then I watch them all in the peace, quiet, & Comfort of my own lounge room with my favorite, Steve Mortimer/ Bulldog Supporter My Father who unfortunately passed away 3 Weeks ago, I am really going to miss him when the Bulldogs finally play in another Grand Final..

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I love your post as I did the same thing getting in to punch ups to defend my hero, the biggest was at the 1979 Grand Final, where I had a big punch up with this huge ST George supporter, we were niggling each other before the game, and then he called Steve Mortimer a big cat and It was just after ST George scored their first try, ( which infuriated me even more ) and it was on for young and old, lucky it was broken up before security & the cops got there, Anyway unfortunately we lost the game after a courage's comeback by "the entertainers" but the good news is I won the fight. Needless to say that was my last live Grand Final since then I watch them all in the peace, quiet, & Comfort of my own lounge room with my favorite, Steve Mortimer/ Bulldog Supporter My Father who unfortunately passed away 3 Weeks ago, I am really going to miss him when the Bulldogs finally play in another Grand Final..
Great story. Wish I could say it was at a GF but as a teenager back then, it was more most of my mates were Parra Bandwagoners despite us all living on the border between Saints and the Dogs. Remember once telling Skull to GGF and offered to take him on at Kogarah until my St.G mates pulled me away telling me I was asking to be killed :innocent: They were probably right :grinning:

Condolences on your loss. Hopefully he's sitting up there with Folkesy right now reliving some good times.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just an article regarding the latest in the NFL on concussions and extent of the problem over there with (many more players) and payouts and black players assessments . Can understand the NRL concerns.