Rugby league dynasties: Canterbury Bulldogs

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome post.

the Beautiful days of old, oh how to be watching our boys play like that today..!!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great post! finally something positive about us on the NRL page

What is so evident between the game back then and now is the amount of players in motion, there was always somebody in the frame when a break was made, or when a ball was held out for an offload.

parra.png

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

What is so evident between the game back then and now is the amount of players in motion, there was always somebody in the frame when a break was made, or when a ball was held out for an offload.

View attachment 14399
Ha ha ‘Parra are scum’.
Still a true sentiment but how different times were then to have signs like that!
I remember at the cricket in the 80’s against India someone had a banner ‘Go home curry crunchers’ - utterly bogan and no chance of seeing that today (rightly so).

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ‘Parra are scum’.
Still a true sentiment but how different times were then to have signs like that!
I remember at the cricket in the 80’s against India someone had a banner ‘Go home curry crunchers’ - utterly bogan and no chance of seeing that today (rightly so).
Bring back the hate!!!

LOL that's hilarious, you'd probably be publicly stoned if you tried to rock out with a banner like that these days

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha ha ‘Parra are scum’.
I remember at the cricket in the 80’s against India someone had a banner ‘Go home curry crunchers’ - utterly bogan and no chance of seeing that today (rightly so).[/QUOTE
Dogs v parra at belmore full house scream yourself hoarse what days fantastic

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dogs v parra at belmore full house scream yourself hoarse what days fantastic
Indeed they were mate.
Red rattlers slowing down with people hanging out the doors to get a glimpse of the footy as they went by. Great days.
Sadly Belmore is no longer up to it for regular fixtures.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

View attachment 14399
The limited interchange has rendered anyone not directly involved in the play useless, basically surviving and getting breath back.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ‘Parra are scum’.
And the Poms with their sign about the Aussie flag - "Get your stars off our flag".

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Indeed they were mate.
Red rattlers slowing down with people hanging out the doors to get a glimpse of the footy as they went by. Great days.
Sadly Belmore is no longer up to it for regular fixtures.
I remember when the ground was still an oval, and the grandstand was the original MA Noble stand taken from the SCG, and reassembled at Belmore.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
TV commentators loved us when they only to remember two surnames, calling our games - Hughes and Mortimer.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching these games, live back then and videos now, there are so many differences, many not good. A couple of the things that annoy me with the current game;

First one, the Forwards used to pack into the scrum and the backline was exactly that, the backs lined up in an attacking formation, with space to show their skills. The halves running the plays, the fullback chiming in, the centres running the lines, run around, wingers out wide or cut back in. Now every one stands flat, almost always level with the lock, who is often the fullback FFS. There’s no back line, no spacing, there’s forwards cluttering up the attack, it’s bloody annoying.

Second one, these days a winger often brings the ball back after a 5th tackle kick from the opposition, then the other winger takes a hit up, then a centre, then the other centre, bingo it’s tackle 4 and a forward gets to have a go (that’s annoying on its own) if the fullback hasn’t joined the rotation. Watyaknow it’s the 5th tackle and our turn to kick, rinse and repeat. It far kin annoys the crap outa me, set after set. Wingers are now just glorified second rowers, hopefully with a bit of extra speed, purely as a result of the fixation on them taking hit ups. Maybe next year we should play Thompson on the wing in attack, he’s big enough and displays some pace.

Some day, hopefully soon, a smart coach is gunna work out that just duplicating what everyone else is doing simply means that the team getting the best out of their Cap wins. Try something different FFS, for example these big wingers don’t turn and chase very well and seconds rowers clogging up the backline are prime targets for the chip and chase.

Go Dogs

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How great it was to have to have lived through the 80's dynasty, but it is unrealistic to ever hope for another dynasty with the current NRL set up, I hate to be pessimistic, but the media darlings such as the Rotters who are IMHO also privately owned, the One City clubs, the other privately owned Clubs, will always have a huge advantage over the fan owned clubs such as ours, long into the future.
Perhaps if the NRL keeps shooting itself in the foot and RL keeps loosing ground to the AFL and the other codes, an opportunity could arise for another breakaway like SL might just become possible.
Setting up a new Admin would not be the insurmountable task some might think, and it wouldn't have the baggage the NRL has. If enough clubs were willing to break away, I'd be very confident that some other media outlet such as Ch10 would be willing to televise their games.
Many on TK have a very low opinion of the NRL with good reason, however I believe it is because they are puppets of the Media Mogul's who are only concerned for their pet teams, I can't see the current situation ever changing.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching these games, live back then and videos now, there are so many differences, many not good. A couple of the things that annoy me with the current game;

First one, the Forwards used to pack into the scrum and the backline was exactly that, the backs lined up in an attacking formation, with space to show their skills. The halves running the plays, the fullback chiming in, the centres running the lines, run around, wingers out wide or cut back in. Now every one stands flat, almost always level with the lock, who is often the fullback FFS. There’s no back line, no spacing, there’s forwards cluttering up the attack, it’s bloody annoying.

Second one, these days a winger often brings the ball back after a 5th tackle kick from the opposition, then the other winger takes a hit up, then a centre, then the other centre, bingo it’s tackle 4 and a forward gets to have a go (that’s annoying on its own) if the fullback hasn’t joined the rotation. Watyaknow it’s the 5th tackle and our turn to kick, rinse and repeat. It far kin annoys the crap outa me, set after set. Wingers are now just glorified second rowers, hopefully with a bit of extra speed, purely as a result of the fixation on them taking hit ups. Maybe next year we should play Thompson on the wing in attack, he’s big enough and displays some pace.

Some day, hopefully soon, a smart coach is gunna work out that just duplicating what everyone else is doing simply means that the team getting the best out of their Cap wins. Try something different FFS, for example these big wingers don’t turn and chase very well and seconds rowers clogging up the backline are prime targets for the chip and chase.

Go Dogs
I have to agree with you, RL has deteriorated as a spectacle big time over the years.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
How great it was to have to have lived through the 80's dynasty, but it is unrealistic to ever hope for another dynasty with the current NRL set up, I hate to be pessimistic, but the media darlings such as the Rotters who are IMHO also privately owned, the One City clubs, the other privately owned Clubs, will always have a huge advantage over the fan owned clubs such as ours, long into the future.
Perhaps if the NRL keeps shooting itself in the foot and RL keeps loosing ground to the AFL and the other codes, an opportunity could arise for another breakaway like SL might just become possible.
Setting up a new Admin would not be the insurmountable task some might think, and it wouldn't have the baggage the NRL has. If enough clubs were willing to break away, I'd be very confident that some other media outlet such as Ch10 would be willing to televise their games.
Many on TK have a very low opinion of the NRL with good reason, however I believe it is because they are puppets of the Media Mogul's who are only concerned for their pet teams, I can't see the current situation ever changing.
We tried that before with Super League, and it split the game. Pay walked out on us to go to the Eels.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We tried that before with Super League, and it split the game. Pay walked out on us to go to the Eels.
Whilst true it is an over simplification, he had an Australian Representative Player (Kangaroos) contract that had draconian penalty clauses about defecting to SuperLeague. In addition to Non Disclosure clauses, which was instituted to stop SuperLeague from pinching the best players. Other Kangaroo players had “older” contracts that didn’t have the anti SuperLeague clauses. NZ contracts were similar. Some players risked the penalties and expensive legal fees and signed with SuperLeague on their promise of support. Others honoured their ARL contracts.

At the time I wasn’t happy with our players who chose to leave us, but as more information leaked out I came to understand why they had no choice, or at the very least weren’t willing to risk it.

Go Dogs