Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Rugby Australia mulls radical contracting system to keep top stars

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four NRL clubs are circling reigning John Eales medallist Marika Koroibete in anticipation Rugby Australia will not be able to guarantee his $600,000 contract next year.

However, RA is already working on a counterpunch to retain their best Wallabies stars by emulating Cricket Australia’s central contracting system with an elite pool of their top 30 players taking the bulk of money available and the mid-tier forced to take huge wage cuts.

Koroibete, a former NRL star, won Australia’s player of the year in 2019 after starring during their World Cup campaign
He is signed until the end of 2021, however like other Wallabies on long term deals, is exploring his options given RA have yet to secure a broadcast deal for next year and therefore doesn’t know how much cash will be at their disposal
Koroibete’s former league clubs Melbourne Storm and Wests Tigers, as well as St George Illawarra Dragons and the Bulldogs, are in now play for the powerful winger.

Ironically, the Storm is set to lose winger Suliasi Vunivalu to rugby after this season.

Vunivalu has signed a two-year deal with RA and Queensland Reds to begin in 2021, but again due to the uncertainty surrounding rugby’s finances, is keeping his options open and could stay in Melbourne or defect to the Dragons.
Melbourne has also agreed to release State of Origin centre Josh Addo-Carr so he can be closer to family in Sydney – the Dragons and Bulldogs are keen to sign the speedster.

Those two clubs are also keen on Koroibete at the right price.

However, none of the NRL sides will be able to meet Koroibete’s rugby salary.

If RA can guarantee his full salary, Koroibete won’t be released and will remain in the XV man code

Koroibete’s manager Sam Ayoub did not return calls.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Geez, what a surprise.. We got linked with another player... If Koroibete wants anywhere near 600k he's dreaming. Once again, paying that kind of money for a winger especially one that hasn't played league in years is crazy talk.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
So good seeing rugby turn to shit. NRL should swoop
Check yourself.
If Rugby goes to shit Australia become a laughing stock on the world stage.
Remember League is good but it is irrelevant by world standard.

This is why rugby union will always be my game.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea rugby sucks, I agree.!!!

And for those of you who don’t agree, remember, each to their own, I just don’t like rugby. Never have. It’s too messy and have never been interested :blush:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

And for those of you who don’t agree, remember, each to their own, I just don’t like rugby. Never have. It’s too messy and have never been interested :blush:
Ever since I was a kid, I tried to follow it but it was just so unentertaining..... from the boring commentators to the countless stoppages....

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ever since I was a kid, I tried to follow it but it was just so unentertaining..... from the boring commentators to the countless stoppages....
I love the fact that I can go for a walk around the block after a knock-on in Rugby and they are still trying to pack the same scrum when I return...

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah your well and truly missing out now bro. Refs can stop the game to check anything now. It's great fun for the whole family.

Ref: "can we just check 10mins ago whether there was a knock on"

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not sure about Wallabies but there’s plenty of All Blacks that would kill it in league. They have like 5 world class fullbacks who could potentially transition to guns in League. They may have no interest but money talks. Or maybe recruiting the top junior prospects similar to how RTS came to the Roosters

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
So happy someone else loves seeing it turn to shit. I played union all the way through school till I switched to league. Union is such a preppy private school bitch game thats played by weak *****. Coaches pick players on who their fathers are, they might be a solicitor or on a board with them at dickhead INC. Then you have the oh he lives in Cabramatta, Mounty, Fairfield cant pick him thats not the East or North Shore. Fucking boys club. People involved in Rugby league far more humble, friendly, working class, don't care where you are from. Every bloke I have played with in Ron Massey, A grade have been such better loyal blokes. Rant over ahahahah

silva

Utility
Reaction score
So happy someone else loves seeing it turn to shit. I played union all the way through school till I switched to league. Union is such a preppy private school bitch game thats played by weak c***. Coaches pick players on who their fathers are, they might be a solicitor or on a board with them at dickhead INC. Then you have the oh he lives in Cabramatta, Mounty, Fairfield cant pick him thats not the East or North Shore. Fucking boys club. People involved in Rugby league far more humble, friendly, working class, don't care where you are from. Every bloke I have played with in Ron Massey, A grade have been such better loyal blokes. Rant over ahahahah
I used to play union too. League is a much better sport to play and watch. All of the best juniors are signing with nrl clubs now for the cash and union cant compete. Dieing a slow death

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I used to play union too. League is a much better sport to play and watch. All of the best juniors are signing with nrl clubs now for the cash and union cant compete. Dieing a slow death
In one country only.
Without fail except for PNG (irrelevant nation) Union is dominant.
League lacks the complexity and nuance of Union.
Why does league even have scrums!?
I can tell you why Union has scrums.
In Union the game is a contest from start to finish and I n league it's 3 hit ups, spread the ball wide and a kick!

don't get me wrong they are both good but lol at the ppl saying league better. Trolls.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
That's what the 'poach Union players' crowd doesn't get.
It's happened, they just take them in the womb now in Oz.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Wouldn't disliking rugby in New Zealand make you some sort of leper?

Be like living in Victoria and saying you don't have an afl team..