Roy Asotasi Highlights

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was one of my favourites of that era of teams. It's funny you made this thread as I was just thinking of how Renouf reminds me of Roy, just a taller version who doesn't hit as hard. But Renouf has that great footwork and an offload that Asotasi had.

Roy was an animal in defence and definitely a staple in our Dogs of War teams with Shrek and Willie. I was devastated when Souths signed him and he was the best signing they made after years of overpaying for hasbeens. I think it was the signing of Asotasi that really started to change their fortunes before they got Burgess and Inglis.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good player but was definitely better playing second fiddle as a bench prop. He never hit the same heights at Souths when he was their main man as he did at the Dogs coming off the bench.

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ogden looked a likely successor to Asotasi, but didnt go on with it in FG.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good player but was definitely better playing second fiddle as a bench prop. He never hit the hits at Souths when he was their main man as he did at the Dogs coming off the bench.
His first few years he was quite good as the leader of their pack. He might not have had the same impact defensively playing longer minutes but he had some massive games for them.

He definitely brought a winning culture to Souths and was someone who led by example which was in stark contrast to frauds like Adam Muir, Tim Brasher and Bryan Fletcher etc that were only there for money and an early retirement.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good player but was definitely better playing second fiddle as a bench prop. He never hit the hits at Souths when he was their main man as he did at the Dogs coming off the bench.
i have always said this also...
Solid first grader, but Mason & O'Mealy made him look like a super star in our team when he came off the bench.
Injuries did f@ck him though...

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thought he was rated as the best prop in the game at some stage when he was captaining NZ..

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His best year was 2006 I think he got player of the year that year as well. He was one of my favourite player. Renouf reminds me of Asotasi hard but needs be more involved when he's on.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a forward pack we had back those days.

We were so spoiled for riches back then, we didn't know what to do with it. Look at the GF bench we had. In what world is it normal to have Asotasi, SBW and Thurston coming off the bench!?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

We were so spoiled for riches back then, we didn't know what to do with it. Look at the GF bench we had. In what world is it normal to have Asotasi, SBW and Thurston coming off the bench!?
For some reason I literally laughed at the wording you used bro... “In what world” ... but you’re right :grinning:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bring on the footy.. waited long enough now lol.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For some reason I literally laughed at the wording you used bro... “In what world” ... but you’re right :grinning:
Haha thanks bro! Honestly though especially with SBW and Thurston, those names whether we like it or not will in Australian Rugby League folklore past our lifetimes. Before then, while we're still functioning, we'll be telling the great-grandkids how they played in our team in the 2004 grand final off the bench hahaha

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Haha thanks bro! Honestly though especially with SBW and Thurston, those names whether we like it or not will in Australian Rugby League folklore past our lifetimes. Before then, while we're still functioning, we'll be telling the great-grandkids how they played in our team in the 2004 grand final off the bench hahaha
True. Mind you, that wasn't even our full-strength team. I recall the Jamahl Lolesi was injured and Ben Harris took spot. I'm also certain that as well as Steve Price, Dennis Scott was a regular off the bench and also suffered a season-ending injury. That's 3 of out top 17 in 2004 out and we still won the GF with those 3 legends on the bench. Even Corey Hughes was a very handy rotation hooker to have off the bench.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Amazing team. Yet still only just won the decider. Proves how far away we are.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good player but was definitely better playing second fiddle as a bench prop. He never hit the same heights at Souths when he was their main man as he did at the Dogs coming off the bench.
Exactly. Was a good player. But think of the props we had before or after him. Britt, price, mason, omeley, cziwloski, graham, klemmer. Is in a tough class. But was a vital piece for us in a star studded 2002-2005 team. Did his job. Made his impact off the bench. Probably would struggle to lead a pack. But coming off the bench after Omeley, price, Mason, Sonny did the early destruction he got into his element destroying teams with his 25-30 mins a game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Amazing team. Yet still only just won the decider. Proves how far away we are.
The Chooks finished 1st in the regular season, had the short cut to the GF and we lost the first finals game to the Cowboys, which they beat in the qualifier, as a result we had the long route to the GF. They had an unbelievably favourable draw during the season, which went down in infamy, they did not play one single regular season game in Qld. They had a pretty good line up in Minichiello, Hodges, Fittler, Finch, Wing, Crocker, Morley, Cayless, Fitzgibbon, Tupou with Stuart as coach. They were also suspected of breaking the salary cap and were favourites for the wooden spoon mid season as result. Somehow, hardly amazing, they managed to wriggle out of it.

In summary, we weren't supposed to win.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was one of my favourites of that era of teams. It's funny you made this thread as I was just thinking of how Renouf reminds me of Roy, just a taller version who doesn't hit as hard. But Renouf has that great footwork and an offload that Asotasi had.

Roy was an animal in defence and definitely a staple in our Dogs of War teams with Shrek and Willie. I was devastated when Souths signed him and he was the best signing they made after years of overpaying for hasbeens. I think it was the signing of Asotasi that really started to change their fortunes before they got Burgess and Inglis.
Agree 100% with this. I think our cap position forced us to decide between him and the bus driver at the time as our forward leader. In hindsight we chose wrong given the bus driver pissed off in the wee hours of the morning when the squad needed him badly.

I disagree with this. He became their forward leader until injury crueled his career. Saw a documentary about how many shoulder reconstructions he had and it was a huge number.

His first few years he was quite good as the leader of their pack. He might not have had the same impact defensively playing longer minutes but he had some massive games for them.

He definitely brought a winning culture to Souths and was someone who led by example which was in stark contrast to frauds like Adam Muir, Tim Brasher and Bryan Fletcher etc that were only there for money and an early retirement.
Agreed again. He lead from the front and did so because he had a huge will to win. Thats a priceless attribute for any team.