Official Round 5 - Bulldogs vs Roosters - Discussion Thread (postponed till Monday night)

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a win over the roosters would almost alleviate all the pain from the first 3 losses for me haha

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t put words in my mouth I have never suggested that.

A winning combination that was only won 2 more games then they have lost is a extremely weak argument.

Don’t forget, we won against the dragons who were and have been incredibly poor in all aspects of the game.
If “we won so don’t change anything” is the type of attitude at the club then we’ll remain a middle tier team at best. You wouldn’t see a top club like Roosters or Storm being shortsighted and not trying to improve in every single aspect of the game.
This week will be a huge test and if this so-called exceptional long kicking game of Lewis can stifle Tedesco, Tupou and Morris then I’ll nearly be converted

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plenty of hypocrisy in your work Spoonman. You were happy with old mates sample size of 2 games to suggest that Wakeham is a better defender than Lewis the other night but you’re discrediting my sample size of 5 games. Interesting.

Fact is when you find winning combinations, especially in a team such as ours, you stick with them. Foran/Lewis went well together last year and as soon as they were both available this year they have been paired again and helped us to a comfortable, and very timely win.
Unfortunately our coach forgets this as we had a right side combination of Jacko Holland and Smith which he changed for no obvious reason and no combination has worked since.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Pay actually had that thought process, then why split the Holland / Smith combination that was successful for two years at the backend of those seasons? Pay has a jigsaw puzzle that he doesn't even know where to start from, let alone put it together.
Plenty of hypocrisy in your work Spoonman. You were happy with old mates sample size of 2 games to suggest that Wakeham is a better defender than Lewis the other night but you’re discrediting my sample size of 5 games. Interesting.

Fact is when you find winning combinations, especially in a team such as ours, you stick with them. Foran/Lewis went well together last year and as soon as they were both available this year they have been paired again and helped us to a comfortable, and very timely win.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That roosters side is shit. Full of bulldogs rejects and an inexperienced halfback

Plus they havent even played a game at Bankwest. First start at the track

Surely even an optimistic Roosters fan couldnt see anything other than a comfortable bulldogs victory......

Very entertaining post - you should concentrate on something that would be half convincing. Great to see your filling in your time and lets face it, everyone knows your intentional hilarity
is bloody hilarious.

Pavdogg82

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know Lewis was solid, but we have just re signed Wakeham. I would love to see him get at least 2 full games with Foran. Lewis wouldn't be there to hog all his ball as well. It just means Wakeham could organise which leaves Foran to run and scheme on both sides, combining with our edge runners (putting Elliot and RFm through holes)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If Pay actually had that thought process, then why split the Holland / Smith combination that was successful for two years at the backend of those seasons? Pay has a jigsaw puzzle that he doesn't even know where to start from, let alone put it together.
Because he doesn't have that thought process, it's just the cheer squad trying to put a positive spin on absolutely everything that happens around the club.

Facts are Pay wants to employ a certain style and will select the players he wants to be in the team and fair enough that's what the coaches job is. But when shit goes wrong (it always does) he starts his usual chopping and changing and we once again find out that the original team he had in mind was no where near as effective.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Because he doesn't have that thought process, it's just the cheer squad trying to put a positive spin on absolutely everything that happens around the club.

Facts are Pay wants to employ a certain style and will select the players he wants to be in the team and fair enough that's what the coaches job is. But when shit goes wrong (it always does) he starts his usual chopping and changing and we once again find out that the original team he had in mind was no where near as effective.
That’s rubbish as usual. Pay actually said he split them up to tighten up the defense of the team overall. I can’t say I want Holland in the team for too long though anyway if I’m being honest

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s rubbish as usual. Pay actually said he split them up to tighten up the defense of the team overall. I can’t say I want Holland in the team for too long though anyway if I’m being honest
By splitting a centre/ wing combination is going to tighten a teams !!!! defence... please Natboy he made the decision in the off season and when it didn’t work he should have reinstated them together.Everybody complains about Holland,then Montoya etc etc,then whoever is put there but not one combination has been successful since.
To blame one player,especially one who defends two players in from the sideline is head shaking material.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The report was that the Dogs denied Harper's release for this year but signed at Manly for next year.

If he is going to Manly next year I don't see much point in playing him.
So what if he's leaving next year? He has a contract with us this year and he can be picked as can anyone. Frizell has signed with Knights next year and still playing kinda for Dragons this year. I don't see the logic of not playing your next best player but you still have to pay him.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If anything a win would be pure bliss, Possibly the most bitter sweet victory of the year.!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
By splitting a centre/ wing combination is going to tighten a teams !!!! defence... please Natboy he made the decision in the off season and when it didn’t work he should have reinstated them together.Everybody complains about Holland,then Montoya etc etc,then whoever is put there but not one combination has been successful since.
To blame one player,especially one who defends two players in from the sideline is head shaking material.
Lol don't bother, there's always some grand plan to the decisions the club/coach make according to these people. Every interview Pay dribbles the same nonsense about defence and they take it as gospel.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lewis’ kicking display on the weekend was exceptional and was pivotal to our dominance in field position and pressure we built on them.

We’ve won 4 out of 5 games since the Foran/Lewis re-formed and its a no brainer to persist with it.

Not saying it’s a long term solution but results have so far proven it’s our best halves pairing for the time being.
Norman is pure shit at fullback and he netted most kicks on the full even with his poor positional play

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You do when they’re going at a winning strike rate of 80% in a team that’s going at under 40% for the past 2 seasons.

We need a reliable dominant long kicker to partner Foran and that of Wakeham and Cogger is much inferior to that of Lewis.

Cogger and Wakeham have both had a good few cracks and if we’re being fair dinkum they’ve both been mediocre.
Your off ya head if you think Wakeham has had a fair go...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what if he's leaving next year? He has a contract with us this year and he can be picked as can anyone. Frizell has signed with Knights next year and still playing kinda for Dragons this year. I don't see the logic of not playing your next best player but you still have to pay him.
I don’t see the logic in comparing a rep quality origin player to a rookie who if they get game time only benefits Manly in the long term. It’s not like Harper is some gun that’s going to win us the game.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree it was a good combination but with limited cattle we did need to tighten our defence out wide

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Norman is pure shit at fullback and he netted most kicks on the full even with his poor positional play
So are you trying to tell me that Lewis didn’t actually kick well on Monday?

Don’t let your dislike of a particular player get in the way of being able to give rational and considered feedback on a topic. Common downfall of many posters on here.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So are you trying to tell me that Lewis didn’t actually kick well on Monday?

Don’t let your dislike of a particular player get in the way of being able to give rational and considered feedback on a topic. Common downfall of many posters on here.
I don't think he kicked well at all.
Same kick every time, didn't find the grass at all. No variation, no thought as to what kick was required at that point in the game, just bomb it and chase.
The only reason Lewis' kicking game wasn't torn to shreds was due to who he was kicking to.
If he kicks like that against the Roosters back 3 they'll murder us. Roosters will start every set with momentum and the class of there team will ensure the game is played with us on the back foot for 80 minutes.