Official Round 5 - Bulldogs vs Roosters - Discussion Thread (postponed till Monday night)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You do when they’re going at a winning strike rate of 80% in a team that’s going at under 40% for the past 2 seasons.

We need a reliable dominant long kicker to partner Foran and that of Wakeham and Cogger is much inferior to that of Lewis.

Cogger and Wakeham have both had a good few cracks and if we’re being fair dinkum they’ve both been mediocre.
I'd argue Wakeham hasn't been given much of a chance. He was off the bench his first two games I believe. Started another.. Then he didn't play the rest of the season.. This year he started the first two games and was dropped. So he's only played five games in total with one or two off the bench.

I agree that Cogger has been given enough opportunity and we can see he's not good enough. Wakeham might prove he isn't good enough either.. But we need to see him get a consistent run in FG and play more than five games before we can determine whether he is or isn't a long term option.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd argue Wakeham hasn't been given much of a chance. He was off the bench his first two games I believe. Started another.. Then Then didn't play the rest of the season.. This year he started the first two games and was dropped. So he's only played five games in total with one or two off the bench.

I agree that Cogger has been given enough opportunity and we can see he's not good enough. Wakeham might prove he isn't good enough either.. But we need to see him get a consistent run in FG and play more than five games before we can determine whether he is or isn't a long term option.
Of course he hasn't been given a chance, 5 games over two years in and out of the team while clearly playing out of position. These ***** football IQ is no existent.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There were so many opportunities for Lewis to take on the line when a gap opened up but his acceleration off the mark is slower than a sloth....

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You do when they’re going at a winning strike rate of 80% in a team that’s going at under 40% for the past 2 seasons.

We need a reliable dominant long kicker to partner Foran and that of Wakeham and Cogger is much inferior to that of Lewis.

Cogger and Wakeham have both had a good few cracks and if we’re being fair dinkum they’ve both been mediocre.
Quoting statistics when the pool of games is so low and there's not a even playing field is pointless.

As much as we need a long kicking we also need a first grade standard passing game and another player that can execute plays on an edge that isn't Foran.

Lewis hasn't done anywhere near enough to cement a spot. It will be interesting to see in the coming weeks how the Lewis/Foran combination goes because it will be getting a lot more sterner test then it did last Monday.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What we did v Dragons we need to improve massively just to be in the game

Completion above 80
Score 18-24 points then back our D might jag a win

And can’t remember the last time we beat these cheating kants

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Quoting statistics when the pool of games is so low and there's not a even playing field is pointless.

As much as we need a long kicking we also need a first grade standard passing game and another player that can execute plays on an edge that isn't Foran.

Lewis hasn't done anywhere near enough to cement a spot. It will be interesting to see in the coming weeks how the Lewis/Foran combination goes because it will be getting a lot more sterner test then it did last Monday.
Plenty of hypocrisy in your work Spoonman. You were happy with old mates sample size of 2 games to suggest that Wakeham is a better defender than Lewis the other night but you’re discrediting my sample size of 5 games. Interesting.

Fact is when you find winning combinations, especially in a team such as ours, you stick with them. Foran/Lewis went well together last year and as soon as they were both available this year they have been paired again and helped us to a comfortable, and very timely win.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plenty of hypocrisy in your work Spoonman. You were happy with old mates sample size of 2 games to suggest that Wakeham is a better defender than Lewis but you’re discrediting my sample size of 5 games. Interesting.

Fact is when you find winning combinations, especially in a team such as ours, you stick with them. Foran/Lewis went well together last year and as soon as they were both available this year they have been paired again and helped us to a comfortable, and very timely win.
Don’t put words in my mouth I have never suggested that.

A winning combination that was only won 2 more games then they have lost is a extremely weak argument.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There were so many opportunities for Lewis to take on the line when a gap opened up but his acceleration off the mark is slower than a sloth....
He doesn't have the physical attributes or footy sense to do it. Look at how be takes the ball to the line, absolutely no purpose and just aimlessly shuffles the ball on with no purpose.

I remember going back over footage and no lie almost every try assist he was credited with was form a kick or just passing the ball to the edge when there's an overlap.

The thing I don't understand is how people can honestly be happy with this, we have gone no where over the past few years and are on track to do the same. Wakeham might not be the solution but he sure as shit has far more talent and ability and unfortunately we're never going to know if he can make the step up if he doesn't actually get the chance to play in a role he's suited to.

Wakeham should've been the halfback last year and started there this season, he should've got the chance alongside Foran and with Hoppa at the back. If he actually got a fair chance then we could finally make an educated decision decide if he's worth retaining or letting go.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldn’t say he has done enough at this point to suggest it’s his spot.
It looks like Dean is giving him some time to gain experience and prove himself in the top grade.
No doubt there are things that Lewis needs to work on.
The probation period needs to finish at some point if no improvement is seen.
Fair game for everyone and no favours.
Team first.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t put words in my mouth I have never suggested that.

A winning combination that was only won 2 more games then they have lost is a extremely weak argument.
So that’s a winning strike rate of 55% in a team that’s at 35% overall. I think it’s an extremely fair argument but we shall agree to disagree.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So that’s a winning strike rate of 55% in a team that’s at 35% overall. I think it’s an extremely fair argument but we shall agree to disagree.
One or two games completely change those percentages though. If they had 20 or 30 games together fair point but it’s just not enough games for mine.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Moz twins will be on a mission. 18 points won't be enough from us. If we defend well, dominate their forwards through the middle and rorters cop an injury or two, then we are half a chance.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Moz twins will be on a mission. 18 points won't be enough from us. If we defend well, dominate their forwards through the middle and rorters cop an injury or two, then we are half a chance.
F THE ROOSTERS.png